Timbers Select Four Players in Final Two Rounds of 2018 MLS
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers today selected four players over the final two rounds of the 2018 MLS SuperDraft, held Sunday via conference call. The Timbers selected defender Caleb Duvernay from North Carolina State, forward Tim Mueller from Oregon State, forward Stuart Holthusen from the University of Akron and forward Mamadou Guirassy from the New Jersey Institute of Technology.
Portland selected Duvernay (61st overall), Mueller (63rd overall) and Holthusen (64th overall) in the third round and chose Guirassy (87th overall) in the fourth round.
A four-year starter for North Carolina State University, Duvernay, 21, appeared in 67 matches (65 starts) for the Wolfpack. In four seasons with North Carolina State, the defender earned ACC Honor Roll honors twice, while also playing a key role on the backline in the Wolfpack's advancement into the NCAA tournament in 2017, appearing in all 18 matches this past season. Prior to joining North Carolina State, Duvernay was a member of the U-15 and U-17 U.S. Men's National Team Residency Program.
A former Timbers U-23s player, Mueller, 22, appeared in 67 matches (36 starts) over a four-year stretch for Oregon State University, recording 23 goals and 10 assists during that period. While playing with the Beavers, Mueller's honors included Pac-12 Freshman of the Year, third-team All-Far West Region, Top Drawer Soccer Freshman Best XI, All-Pac-12 first team and Pac-12 All-Academic first team. Prior to joining the Beavers, Mueller was named Idaho Player of the Year in 2013 after helping his team claim the 5A Idaho State Championship that season.
Holthusen, 22, recorded 31 goals and 14 assists in 78 games played (52 starts) in a four-year career at the University of Akron. In the 2017 campaign, Holthusen recorded a career-high 12 goals in 24 appearances (24 starts), helping to guide his team to an 18-4-2 overall record and a semifinal appearance in the NCAA College Cup, with the Zips falling 2-0 to Stanford University. While playing with Akron, the striker's honors included first-team All-MAC and second-team All-MAC recognition, while also earning a place on the MAC tournament team on two occasions. The striker has also made three starts for the New Zealand U-17 National Team, featuring in the 2013 U-17 FIFA World Cup.
Guirassy, 22, was selected by the Timbers after scoring 26 goals in 70 appearances (49 starts) in four years with the New Jersey Institute of Technology. In 2017, Guirassy scored a career-high 16 goals for NJIT, earning him the NCAA Division I Men's Soccer Golden Boot Award. Additionally, the Highlander's co-captain concluded his collegiate career as the team's all-time leading scorer in NCAA Division I play and was selected as the 2017 ASUN Conference Player of the Year. At the international level, Guirassy was called up to Guinea's U-20 National Team in in preparation of the 2016 Toulon Tournament held in France, scoring the team's only goal in the tournament.
Caleb Duvernay Position: Defender Height: 5-7 Weight: 160 Born: July 24, 1996 College: North Carolina State University.
Tim Mueller Position: Forward Height: 6-3 Weight: 195 Born: July 3, 1995 College: Oregon State University.
Stuart Holthusen Position: Forward Height: 6-1 Weight: 150 Born: Jan. 1, 1996 College: University of Akron.
Mamadou Guirassy Position: Forward Height: 6-1 Weight: 190 Born: Oct. 31, 1995 College: New Jersey Institute of Technology.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 22, 2018
- Chilean Attacking Midfielder Jeisson Vargas Joins the Impact - Montreal Impact
- Sounders FC 2 Announces Current Roster Ahead of 2018 Sounders FC - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes to Host Media Day on Wednesday, January 24 - San Jose Earthquakes
- BMO acquires naming rights to Toronto fc's training grounds - Toronto FC
- Philadelphia Union to Introduce Midfielder David Accam on Tuesday - Philadelphia Union
- Philadelphia Union Select Three Players in MLS SuperDraft - Philadelphia Union
- Real Salt Lake Opens 2018 Preseason at Zions Bank Real Academy Tuesday Afternoon - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Select Four Players in Final Two Rounds of 2018 MLS - Portland Timbers
- Columbus Crew SC Selects Midfielder Luis Argudo - Columbus Crew SC
- United Select Afonso Pinheiro and Rafael Andrade Santos in the 2018 - D.C. United
- SOUNDERS FC SELECTS CHRIS BARED IN THIRD ROUND OF 2018 MLS SUPERDRAFT - Seattle Sounders FC
- Impact Selects Midfielder Ken Krolicki in Third Round of 2018 MLS SuperDraft - Montreal Impact
- Sporting KC Takes Two Players in Final Round of SuperDraft - Sporting Kansas City
- New York Red Bulls Select Jared Stroud and Jose Aguinaga in Fourth - New York Red Bulls
- Earthquakes Select UNLV Midfielder Kevin Partida in Third Round of the 2018 MLS SuperDraft - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas Drafts Amer Sasivarevic and Noah Franke in Final Rounds - FC Dallas
- LA Galaxy Select Nate Schultz with the 48th Pick in the 2018 MLS - Los Angeles Galaxy
- MAXIME CRÃ?PEAU LOANED TO OTTAWA FURY FC FOR THE 2018 SEASON - Montreal Impact
- United Soccer League Announces 2018 Sounders FC 2 Schedule - Seattle Sounders FC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Forward Gyasi Zardes and $400,000 - Columbus Crew SC
- Earthquakes Sign 20-Year-Old USYNT Midfielder Eric Calvillo - San Jose Earthquakes
- French Center Back Zakaria Diallo Joins Impact - Montreal Impact
- MNUFC Nets Massive Haul with Three First Round Picks at 2018 SuperDraft - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Selects FW Ricky Lopez-Espin in the 2018 MLS SuperDraft - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Adds Four Players in 2018 MLS SuperDraft - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Extend Winning Streak to Five Matches with 2-1 Victory over Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Award $50,000 in Community Fund Grants
- Timbers Weekly Update
- Timbers, Thorns FC, T2 Team up with Local Partners to Present Seventh-Annual Stand Together Week June 9-15
- Timbers Notch Fourth Straight Victory with 1-0 Win over Cascadia-Rival Seattle Sounders FC