Earthquakes Sign 20-Year-Old USYNT Midfielder Eric Calvillo
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The San Jose Earthquakes announced today that the club has signed United States Youth National Team midfielder Eric Calvillo (cal-VEE-oh) to a multi-year contract. Calvillo, who turned 20 earlier this month, represented the U.S. at the 2015 FIFA U-17 World Cup.
"Eric is a player that we have identified as a highly talented prospect," said Earthquakes general manager Jesse Fioranelli. "With a significant amount of professional and youth national team experience at just 20 years old, we believe our club can support his development as he takes on MLS. After three signings from our USL affiliate and now Eric from the NASL, we remain fully committed to scouting, signing and developing high-potential players from all corners of American soccer."
Calvillo comes to San Jose after two seasons with the North American Soccer League's New York Cosmos, where he played under current Portland Timbers head coach Giovanni Savarese. After scoring one goal in three appearances during his Championship-winning rookie season in 2016, Calvillo tallied three goals and one assist in 16 league appearances (13 starts) in 2017. In his 13 regular season starts, the Cosmos had a 5-2-6 record.
Calvillo was twice named to the NASL's Team of the Week, selected as Player of the Week for Week 18 after scoring a brace against Miami FC, and earned Player of the Month honors in July. He also started and converted a penalty kick in the team's upset victory over top-seeded Miami in the playoff semifinals before starting in the championship game against the SF Deltas.
During the 2017 season, he completed 88% of his passes and conceded just 12 fouls in nearly 1,200 minutes played. He also scored the game-winning goal in a summer friendly against La Liga's six-time champion Valencia CF.
Internationally, Calvillo has represented the U.S. at the U-15, U-17 and U-19 levels. He was named to the United States' 21-man roster at the 2015 FIFA U-17 World Cup, where he competed alongside players such as the New York Red Bulls' Tyler Adams and Borussia Dortmund's Christian Pulisic. He also wore the captain's armband for the U.S. at the 2016 U-19 Copa del Atlantico against the likes of France and host-nation Spain.
Calvillo, a native of Palmdale, Calif., spent his youth career at Real So Cal before signing his first professional contract with the Cosmos in 2016 at 18 years old. He is right-footed and has played primarily as a box-to-box central midfielder or on the right wing.
He was featured by a833efd8dc447b3bd25d7a25df6050f31dc5e1f9276c99ea8634f70da7d7 midfieldpress.com last year, where he was tabbed as 'America's Next Great Midfielder'.
Transaction: San Jose Earthquakes (MLS) - Earthquakes sign M Eric Calvillo to a multi-year contract.
Eric Calvillo - Position: Midfielder Height: 5-7 Weight: 140 lbs. Born: Jan. 2, 1998 Hometown: Palmdale, Calif. Last Club: New York Cosmos (NASL) College: NA Roster Designation: Domestic.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 22, 2018
- Chilean Attacking Midfielder Jeisson Vargas Joins the Impact - Montreal Impact
- Sounders FC 2 Announces Current Roster Ahead of 2018 Sounders FC - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes to Host Media Day on Wednesday, January 24 - San Jose Earthquakes
- BMO acquires naming rights to Toronto fc's training grounds - Toronto FC
- Philadelphia Union to Introduce Midfielder David Accam on Tuesday - Philadelphia Union
- Philadelphia Union Select Three Players in MLS SuperDraft - Philadelphia Union
- Real Salt Lake Opens 2018 Preseason at Zions Bank Real Academy Tuesday Afternoon - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Select Four Players in Final Two Rounds of 2018 MLS - Portland Timbers
- Columbus Crew SC Selects Midfielder Luis Argudo - Columbus Crew SC
- United Select Afonso Pinheiro and Rafael Andrade Santos in the 2018 - D.C. United
- SOUNDERS FC SELECTS CHRIS BARED IN THIRD ROUND OF 2018 MLS SUPERDRAFT - Seattle Sounders FC
- Impact Selects Midfielder Ken Krolicki in Third Round of 2018 MLS SuperDraft - Montreal Impact
- Sporting KC Takes Two Players in Final Round of SuperDraft - Sporting Kansas City
- New York Red Bulls Select Jared Stroud and Jose Aguinaga in Fourth - New York Red Bulls
- Earthquakes Select UNLV Midfielder Kevin Partida in Third Round of the 2018 MLS SuperDraft - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas Drafts Amer Sasivarevic and Noah Franke in Final Rounds - FC Dallas
- LA Galaxy Select Nate Schultz with the 48th Pick in the 2018 MLS - Los Angeles Galaxy
- MAXIME CRÃ?PEAU LOANED TO OTTAWA FURY FC FOR THE 2018 SEASON - Montreal Impact
- United Soccer League Announces 2018 Sounders FC 2 Schedule - Seattle Sounders FC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Forward Gyasi Zardes and $400,000 - Columbus Crew SC
- Earthquakes Sign 20-Year-Old USYNT Midfielder Eric Calvillo - San Jose Earthquakes
- French Center Back Zakaria Diallo Joins Impact - Montreal Impact
- MNUFC Nets Massive Haul with Three First Round Picks at 2018 SuperDraft - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Selects FW Ricky Lopez-Espin in the 2018 MLS SuperDraft - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Adds Four Players in 2018 MLS SuperDraft - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Sign Veteran Goalkeeper Daniel Vega
- Bacon and Beer Classic Comes to Avaya Stadium April 13
- Earthquakes Head Coach Matias Almeyda Named CONCACAF Coach of the Year
- Earthquakes Select Seattle University Defender Nathan Aune in Third Round of the 2019 MLS SuperDraft
- Earthquakes Select Siad Haji Second Overall in 2019 MLS SuperDraft