New York Red Bulls Select Jared Stroud and Jose Aguinaga in Fourth
HARRISON, N.J. - The New York Red Bulls selected midfielder Jared Stroud and forward Jose Aguinaga in the fourth round of the 2018 MLS SuperDaft, presented by adidas, on Sunday afternoon. Stroud, the 83rd overall pick, and Aguinaga, 85th overall, both played for the New York Red Bulls Under-23 team in the Premier Development League last Summer.
"This is an exciting day for both Jared and Jose, and we are pleased to welcome them to the club," said Sporting Director Denis Hamlett. "Giving young players opportunities is a key part of our philosophy. We are familiar with both of these players from our Under-23 team, and we look forward to getting them into our professional environment so they can continue to develop their game and take the first steps in their careers."
Jared Stroud - Midfielder, 5-10, 160 lbs, from Chester, N.J.
Stroud, out of Colgate University, is a native of Chester, N.J. Stroud was named to the first team All-Northeast region in 2017, leading the Raiders to their first appearance in the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16. As a senior, Stroud was named the Patriot League Tournament MVP, and was named to the All-Patriot League First Team as he set a new program single-season assist record (13) and also added four goals. He finished his career with 10 goals and a school-record 30 assists. He also earned Academic All-League Honors as a junior and senior. Jared is the older brother of Red Bulls Academy's Peter Stroud, currently a member of the U-15 team.
The Red Bulls selected fellow Raider Ethan Kutler in the 2017 MLS SuperDraft.
Jose Aguinaga - Forward, 5-9, 155 lbs, from Madrid, Spain.
Aguinaga, a native of Madrid, Spain, finished his collegiate career with 18 goals and a school-record 32 assists in 76 appearances for the Rider University Broncs. He led the team with nine assists in each of the last three seasons. He is a three-time All-MAAC selection and was also named to the MAAC All-Academic team in each of the last three years. He recorded three goals and nine assists as a senior and was named to the United Soccer Coaches Second Team All-America as the Broncs made the MAAC finals for the third-straight year.
Current Red Bulls midfielder Florian Valot is also a product of Rider University.
The Red Bulls did not have a third-round selection.
The New York Red Bulls depart for Oldsmar, Florida tomorrow, Monday January 22, to begin the first of two preseason camps. The Red Bulls open the season with a Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League series against CD Olimpia (Honduras) on February 22.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 22, 2018
- Chilean Attacking Midfielder Jeisson Vargas Joins the Impact - Montreal Impact
- Sounders FC 2 Announces Current Roster Ahead of 2018 Sounders FC - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes to Host Media Day on Wednesday, January 24 - San Jose Earthquakes
- BMO acquires naming rights to Toronto fc's training grounds - Toronto FC
- Philadelphia Union to Introduce Midfielder David Accam on Tuesday - Philadelphia Union
- Philadelphia Union Select Three Players in MLS SuperDraft - Philadelphia Union
- Real Salt Lake Opens 2018 Preseason at Zions Bank Real Academy Tuesday Afternoon - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Select Four Players in Final Two Rounds of 2018 MLS - Portland Timbers
- Columbus Crew SC Selects Midfielder Luis Argudo - Columbus Crew SC
- United Select Afonso Pinheiro and Rafael Andrade Santos in the 2018 - D.C. United
- SOUNDERS FC SELECTS CHRIS BARED IN THIRD ROUND OF 2018 MLS SUPERDRAFT - Seattle Sounders FC
- Impact Selects Midfielder Ken Krolicki in Third Round of 2018 MLS SuperDraft - Montreal Impact
- Sporting KC Takes Two Players in Final Round of SuperDraft - Sporting Kansas City
- New York Red Bulls Select Jared Stroud and Jose Aguinaga in Fourth - New York Red Bulls
- Earthquakes Select UNLV Midfielder Kevin Partida in Third Round of the 2018 MLS SuperDraft - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas Drafts Amer Sasivarevic and Noah Franke in Final Rounds - FC Dallas
- LA Galaxy Select Nate Schultz with the 48th Pick in the 2018 MLS - Los Angeles Galaxy
- MAXIME CRÃ?PEAU LOANED TO OTTAWA FURY FC FOR THE 2018 SEASON - Montreal Impact
- United Soccer League Announces 2018 Sounders FC 2 Schedule - Seattle Sounders FC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Forward Gyasi Zardes and $400,000 - Columbus Crew SC
- Earthquakes Sign 20-Year-Old USYNT Midfielder Eric Calvillo - San Jose Earthquakes
- French Center Back Zakaria Diallo Joins Impact - Montreal Impact
- MNUFC Nets Massive Haul with Three First Round Picks at 2018 SuperDraft - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Selects FW Ricky Lopez-Espin in the 2018 MLS SuperDraft - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Adds Four Players in 2018 MLS SuperDraft - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Post-Game Notes: New York Steals Point at Vancouver, 2-2
- Match Preview: New York Heads to the Pacific Northwest to Face Vancouver
- Red Bull Arena to Host Ecuador and Jamaica for September International Friendly
- Post-Game Notes: Red Bulls Earn Road Win in Chicago
- Match Preview: New York Begins Three-Match Road Trip on Saturday at Chicago