FC Dallas Acquires U.S. Men's National Team Winger Paul Arriola
FRISCO, Texas - FC Dallas has acquired U.S. Men's National Team winger Paul Arriola from D.C. United in exchange for $1.5 million in General Allocation Money (GAM) in 2022 and $500,000 in GAM in 2023, the club announced today. D.C. United will also retain 30 percent of any transfer value if FC Dallas transfers Arriola to a team outside of MLS and could receive up to an additional $300,000 in GAM if Arriola reaches certain performance-based metrics while with FC Dallas. Per team policy, additional terms will not be disclosed.
Arriola will join the club at the conclusion of the USMNT World Cup Qualifiers in early February.
"To have a player like Paul Arriola come to FC Dallas is really an amazing thing," said FC Dallas President Dan Hunt. "Very few players have a resume like he does at the age of 26. He's also an incredible locker room guy. You don't get to captain the U.S. national team if you're not of the highest caliber and a great professional who works hard and has the admiration of his teammates and the coaching staff. We're thrilled to welcome Paul to Dallas."
Haga clic aquí para obtener una versión de este comunicado en español.
Arriola, 26, joins FC Dallas after starting his MLS career with D.C. United as a Young Designated Player in August 2017. He played 92 matches overall, including 89 MLS regular season matches, and scored 20 goals and recorded 16 assists throughout five seasons with the club. In February 2021, Arriola was loaned to EFL Championship side Swansea City and made his debut in the 2020-21 FA Cup match against Manchester City before returning to D.C. United due to injury.
"I'm super excited to be joining FC Dallas and starting a new journey with this club," said Arriola. "Coming to Dallas will be a great step in my career as it will continue to help me build towards my professional goals. I'm looking forward to seeing some familiar faces and I can't wait to get to work with my new teammates and staff."
Prior to joining D.C. United, Arriola spent four years at Club Tijuana in Liga MX, where he scored 11 goals and added three assists in 116 overall appearances. Arriola made his professional debut on July 19, 2013, in a 3-3 draw with Club Atlas at the start of the 2013-14 season.
Arriola began his soccer career in the IMG Soccer Academy in 2010 before moving to the California based U.S. Soccer Development Academy club Arsenal FC for the 2011-12 seasons and the LA Galaxy Academy for the 2012-13 seasons.
Arriola has represented the U.S. National Team at various levels throughout his career, including 42 USMNT appearances since his senior debut in 2016. Arriola made his USMNT debut, scored his first international goal and recorded his first assist in the 3-1 win against Puerto Rico on May 22, 2016. He also helped the USMNT capture Gold Cup championships in 2017 and 2021.
Name: Paul Arriola
Connect with Paul: Twitter | Instagram
Weight: 146 lbs.
Date of Birth: February 5, 1995 (26)
Birthplace: Chula Vista, California
Hometown: Chula Vista, California
Nationality: United States
Transaction: FC Dallas signs winger Paul Arriola from D.C. United in exchange for $1.5 million in General Allocation Money (GAM) in 2022 and $500,000 in GAM in 2023.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 26, 2022
- Earthquakes Midfielder Cristian Espinoza Obtains Green Card - San Jose Earthquakes
- Atlanta United Adds Sixth Preseason Opponent - Atlanta United FC
- Orlando City SC 2022 Single Game Tickets Available Now - Orlando City SC
- Timbers to Host Preseason Tournament February 13-19 Presented by Old Trapper Beef Jerky - Portland Timbers
- Austin FC U17 to Face FC Dallas U17 in Match Open to Public - Austin FC
- RSL Finalizes Opponents for 2022 Preseason Tournament in Portland - Real Salt Lake
- Charlotte FC Signs Striker Karol Ã Âwiderski as First Designated Player in Club History - Charlotte FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Trades International Spot to D.C. United for $250K in General Allocation Money - Nashville SC
- Columbus Crew Acquires Midfielder James Igbekeme on Loan from Real Zaragoza - Columbus Crew SC
- D.C. United Acquire International Roster Slot from Nashville SC - D.C. United
- Earthquakes Sign Costa Rica National Team Defender Francisco Calvo - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Announce 2022 Training Camp Roster in Tucson, Arizona - Portland Timbers
- Charlotte FC and Honeywell Announce Multi-Year Partnership - Charlotte FC
- Individual Tickets for All Dynamo Home Matches on Sale Now - Houston Dynamo FC
- Austin FC Announces Squad Numbers for 2022 Season - Austin FC
- Minnesota United and Midfielder Thomas Chacon Agree to Part Ways - Minnesota United FC
- Orlando City SC Loans Forward Alexander Alvarado to Liga Deportiva Universitaria - Orlando City SC
- FC Dallas Acquires U.S. Men's National Team Winger Paul Arriola - FC Dallas
- D.C. United Acquire MLS Domestic Trade Fee Record of $2 Million Guaranteed in GAM for Winger Paul Arriola - D.C. United
- Andrés Reyes Undergoes Successful Surgery - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Dallas Stories
- FC Dallas, Austin FC, Houston Dynamo FC and Houston Dash Honor Victims of Uvalde Shooting
- Major League Soccer and adidas Unveil 2022 Primeblue Kits to Inspire Action against Plastic Waste
- FC Dallas Falls 2-1 at Home to Minnesota United FC
- National Soccer Hall of Fame Inducts Six New Members
- Paul Arriola and Jesús Ferreira Called into National Team Duty