Earthquakes Sign Costa Rica National Team Defender Francisco Calvo
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The San Jose Earthquakes announced today that the club has signed defender Francisco Calvo to a contract for the 2022 Major League Soccer season with a club option for 2023. Calvo is a former MLS All-Star and competed for Costa Rica at the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
"Adding a proven central defender was a priority for us this offseason," said Earthquakes General Manager Chris Leitch. "Francisco possesses a significant amount of experience in Major League Soccer and with the Costa Rica National Team, and his signing makes us both deeper and more versatile heading into 2022."
Calvo, 29, has competed in Major League Soccer for the past five seasons, totaling 10 goals and nine assists in 122 appearances (119 starts). He joined Minnesota United FC ahead of their inaugural season in 2017 and served as their first team captain. During his first two seasons with Minnesota, Calvo started 53 matches and tallied four goals and four assists, earning a selection to the 2018 MLS All-Star team.
After starting seven of Minnesota's first nine matches in 2019, Calvo was traded to Chicago Fire FC and proceeded to make 21 starts in 23 total appearances for his new club, finishing with a career-high four goals that season. He then started 22 of Chicago's 23 matches during the pandemic-shortened 2020 season before making 17 appearances (16 starts) in 2021. As he did with Minnesota, Calvo served as team captain in Chicago.
FRANCISCO CALVO REGULAR SEASON MLS STATS
Season Team Appearances Starts Goals Assists
2017 MIN 27 27 2 1
2018 MIN 26 26 2 3
2019 MIN 7 7 1 0
2019 CHI 23 21 3 2
2020* CHI 22 22 1 2
2021 CHI 17 16 1 1
Total 122 119 10 9
*Chicago played 23 regular season matches due to the Covid-19 pandemic
Calvo has scored seven goals in 67 appearances for the Costa Rica National Team since his international debut in 2011. His international career features a diverse slate of competitions, including the Concacaf Gold Cup, Concacaf Nations League, Copa America, Copa Centroamericana, and the 2018 FIFA World Cup, at which he appeared against Serbia and Brazil.
The San Jose, Costa Rica native began his career at the youth ranks of powerhouse Deportivo Saprissa before moving to the United States in 2010 to play at San Jacinto College in Houston. He returned to Costa Rica in 2011 to play for Herediano, where he would lead the team to the 2011-12 summer championship. He then spent six months on loan with Nordsjaelland in Denmark before returning to Costa Rica and eventually landing with his former youth club Saprissa in July 2015. Calvo scored 13 goals in 71 appearances over a year and a half with Saprissa, winning two league championships during that time. He then joined Minnesota in January 2017.
Calvo received his U.S. Green Card in 2018 and will not count as an international on San Jose's roster.
Weight: 176 lbs.
Born: July 8, 1992, in San Jose, Costa Rica
Preferred Foot: Left
Hometown: San Jose, Costa Rica
Previous Club: Chicago Fire FC (MLS)
College: San Jacinto College
Roster Designation: Domestic
Citizenship: Costa Rica
Transaction: San Jose Earthquakes (MLS) - Earthquakes sign D Francisco Calvo to a contract for the 2022 season with a club option for 2023.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 26, 2022
- Earthquakes Midfielder Cristian Espinoza Obtains Green Card - San Jose Earthquakes
- Atlanta United Adds Sixth Preseason Opponent - Atlanta United FC
- Orlando City SC 2022 Single Game Tickets Available Now - Orlando City SC
- Timbers to Host Preseason Tournament February 13-19 Presented by Old Trapper Beef Jerky - Portland Timbers
- Austin FC U17 to Face FC Dallas U17 in Match Open to Public - Austin FC
- RSL Finalizes Opponents for 2022 Preseason Tournament in Portland - Real Salt Lake
- Charlotte FC Signs Striker Karol Ã Âwiderski as First Designated Player in Club History - Charlotte FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Trades International Spot to D.C. United for $250K in General Allocation Money - Nashville SC
- Columbus Crew Acquires Midfielder James Igbekeme on Loan from Real Zaragoza - Columbus Crew SC
- D.C. United Acquire International Roster Slot from Nashville SC - D.C. United
- Earthquakes Sign Costa Rica National Team Defender Francisco Calvo - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Announce 2022 Training Camp Roster in Tucson, Arizona - Portland Timbers
- Charlotte FC and Honeywell Announce Multi-Year Partnership - Charlotte FC
- Individual Tickets for All Dynamo Home Matches on Sale Now - Houston Dynamo FC
- Austin FC Announces Squad Numbers for 2022 Season - Austin FC
- Minnesota United and Midfielder Thomas Chacon Agree to Part Ways - Minnesota United FC
- Orlando City SC Loans Forward Alexander Alvarado to Liga Deportiva Universitaria - Orlando City SC
- FC Dallas Acquires U.S. Men's National Team Winger Paul Arriola - FC Dallas
- D.C. United Acquire MLS Domestic Trade Fee Record of $2 Million Guaranteed in GAM for Winger Paul Arriola - D.C. United
- Andrés Reyes Undergoes Successful Surgery - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: June 27, 2022
- California Clasico Rescheduled Following Power Outage at Stanford University
- Audi, Bleacher Report and MLS Debut Season 3 of the ACADEMY Featuring San Jose Earthquakes Academy
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: June 20, 2022
- Earthquakes Fall to Real Salt Lake 2-0