Columbus Crew Acquires Midfielder James Igbekeme on Loan from Real Zaragoza
COLUMBUS - Columbus Crew today announced that the Club has acquired midfielder James Igbekeme [pronounced: ig-beh-KEHM-aye] on loan from Spanish Segunda División side Real Zaragoza for the 2022 Major League Soccer season. The Crew holds an option to exercise a permanent transfer on Igbekeme's contract following the duration of the loan in December 2022. Igbekeme will occupy an international roster slot and be added to the Crew roster pending receipt of his P-1 Visa and International Transfer Certificate (ITC).
"James is a versatile midfielder and his addition will help strengthen our roster," said Columbus Crew President & General Manager Tim Bezbatchenko. "He will provide us with another strong option in the midfield and his contributions will be seen on both sides of the ball. We look forward to welcoming James and his family to Columbus and look forward to incorporating him into our team."
The 26-year-old joins the Crew after spending the past four seasons with Zaragoza. Since 2018, Igbekeme appeared in 96 league matches, scoring four goals. The midfielder additionally appeared in eight cup matches during his time in Spain.
Born in Lagos, Nigeria, Igbekeme made his professional debut with G.D. Ribeirão in 2013, which currently plays in the Portuguese Third Division. In two seasons with Os Ribeirenses, Igbekeme appeared in 43 matches, scoring two goals.
Igbekeme moved to fellow Portuguese side U.D. Oliveirense in 2015. In his first season with the club, Igbekeme scored a career-high seven goals in 32 league matches and added an additional three goals in 21 matches to his tally during the 2016-17 season.
From 2017-18, Igbekeme made 32 appearances for Gil Vicente, scoring five goals in his final year in Portugal prior to making the move to Spain to join Zaragoza.
To date, Igbekeme has appeared in 11 cup matches throughout his career, including eight in Spain's Copa del Rey and three in the Portuguese League Cup.
Crew players are currently in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, through January 28 for the first training camp of the season. The Crew will train in-market from February 1-6 at the OhioHealth Performance Center prior to traveling to Charleston, South Carolina, for the second trip of the preseason from February 7-19.
The Black & Gold are set to open the 2022 MLS season by hosting Vancouver Whitecaps FC at Lower.com Field in Opening Match on Saturday, February 26 at 3:30 p.m. ET. Following the home opener, the Crew hits the road and travels to face the San Jose Earthquakes at PayPal Park on March 5 for the first away match of the season. The Crew's full schedule for the 2022 MLS regular season can be found at ColumbusCrew.com.
The 2022 season will be the Black & Gold's 27th in MLS and the first full season at Lower.com Field, located in Astor Park. Fans looking to experience Crew matches have several options to save money, while getting the best seats for marquee matches. Season Ticket Memberships include benefits such as private, member-only events; a 10 percent discount at the Crew Shop; monthly, interest-free payment plans; the ability to purchase discounted parking; pre-sale access to all events at Lower.com Field, Historic Crew Stadium and FirstEnergy Stadium; and a dedicated account manager and service representative.
Fans can also choose between various packages that offer great benefits and ticket discounts, including Nine-Match Ticket Plans, Five-Match Ticket Plans, and Group Ticket Plans which are on sale now. Fans can additionally purchase single-match tickets, which are now available.
Supporters interested in securing their seat for the 2022 MLS season can call 614-447-2739, visit columbuscrew.com/tickets or email firstname.lastname@example.org to get connected with a Ticket Sales Representative.
The Crew's current roster stands at 29 players in advance of the 2022 MLS campaign. Listed alphabetically by position:
Goalkeepers (4): Evan Bush, Eloy Room, Patrick Schulte, Brady Scott
Defenders (7): Jalil Anibaba, Milos Degenek, Jonathan Mensah, Steven Moreira, Jake Morris, Will Sands, Josh Williams
Midfielders (16): Artur, Sebastian Berhalter, Luis Diaz, Derrick Etienne Jr., Marlon Hairston, James Igbekeme, Perry Kitchen, Alex Matan, Kevin Molino, Aidan Morris, Darlington Nagbe, Isaiah Parente, Pedro Santos, Yaw Yeboah, Sean Zawadzki, Lucas Zelarayan
Forwards (2): Miguel Berry, Gyasi Zardes
TRANSACTION: Columbus Crew acquires midfielder James Igbekeme on loan for the 2022 MLS season, with an option to exercise a permanent transfer on Igbekeme's contract following the duration of the loan in December 2022, announced on January 26, 2022.
Name: James Igbekeme [ig-beh-KEHM-aye]
Weight: 145 lbs.
Born: July 4, 1995, in Lagos, Nigeria
Hometown: Lagos, Nigeria
Acquired: Via loan from Real Zaragoza for the 2022 MLS season with an option to exercise a permanent transfer.
Previous Experience: G.D. Ribeirão (2013-15), U.D. Oliveirense (2015-17), Gil Vicente (2017-2018), Real Zaragoza (2018-2022).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 26, 2022
- Earthquakes Midfielder Cristian Espinoza Obtains Green Card - San Jose Earthquakes
- Atlanta United Adds Sixth Preseason Opponent - Atlanta United FC
- Orlando City SC 2022 Single Game Tickets Available Now - Orlando City SC
- Timbers to Host Preseason Tournament February 13-19 Presented by Old Trapper Beef Jerky - Portland Timbers
- Austin FC U17 to Face FC Dallas U17 in Match Open to Public - Austin FC
- RSL Finalizes Opponents for 2022 Preseason Tournament in Portland - Real Salt Lake
- Charlotte FC Signs Striker Karol Ã Âwiderski as First Designated Player in Club History - Charlotte FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Trades International Spot to D.C. United for $250K in General Allocation Money - Nashville SC
- Columbus Crew Acquires Midfielder James Igbekeme on Loan from Real Zaragoza - Columbus Crew SC
- D.C. United Acquire International Roster Slot from Nashville SC - D.C. United
- Earthquakes Sign Costa Rica National Team Defender Francisco Calvo - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Announce 2022 Training Camp Roster in Tucson, Arizona - Portland Timbers
- Charlotte FC and Honeywell Announce Multi-Year Partnership - Charlotte FC
- Individual Tickets for All Dynamo Home Matches on Sale Now - Houston Dynamo FC
- Austin FC Announces Squad Numbers for 2022 Season - Austin FC
- Minnesota United and Midfielder Thomas Chacon Agree to Part Ways - Minnesota United FC
- Orlando City SC Loans Forward Alexander Alvarado to Liga Deportiva Universitaria - Orlando City SC
- FC Dallas Acquires U.S. Men's National Team Winger Paul Arriola - FC Dallas
- D.C. United Acquire MLS Domestic Trade Fee Record of $2 Million Guaranteed in GAM for Winger Paul Arriola - D.C. United
- Andrés Reyes Undergoes Successful Surgery - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew Signs Columbus Crew 2 Forward Jacen Russell-Rowe
- Columbus Crew's Lower.com Field the Place to be for Holiday Weekend on July 1 & 3
- Columbus Crew Acquires 23-Year-Old Forward Juan Camilo "Cucho" Hernandez in Record Transaction
- Columbus Crew Names Heidi Dettmer as Chief Marketing Officer
- Columbus Crew Celebrates "Soccer for All" During the Month of June