Fargas Sets Squirrels' Single-Season Steals Mark in Win over Baysox
RICHMOND, Va. - Johneshwy Fargas stole his 50th base of the season as part of a two-run eighth inning to lift the Richmond Flying Squirrels over the Bowie Baysox, 2-1, on Sunday in front of 9,354 fans at The Diamond.
With the game tied, 0-0, in the eighth inning, Fargas reached first with a single to put runners on first and third for Richmond (54-84, 31-40). On the first pitch of the Jalen Miller's at-bat, Fargas swiped second base to record his 50th steal of the season and move into scoring position. The steal moved Fargas past Kelby Tomlinson for the most steals in a single season in Flying Squirrels history.
Miller singled through the left side against Bowie (76-63, 46-25) reliever Francisco Jimenez (Loss, 5-1) to bring in Anyesber Sivira and give Richmond the lead, 1-0. It was Miller's team-leading 47th RBI of the season. Joey Bart brought in the Flying Squirrels' second run on a fielder's choice.
Bart finished the game 2-for-4 with a double, triple and RBI. Over his last 10 games, Bart is batting .472 (17-for-36) with four doubles, a triple, two home runs and seven RBIs.
Garrett Williams (Win, 7-8) allowed an unearned run in the top of the ninth, but stranded the bases loaded by striking out Jesmuel Valentin looking to end the game.
Carlos Sano and Cooper Casad each made their Double-A debuts on the mound. Sano started the game and threw two scoreless innings before Casad blanked the Baysox for four innings of relief.
Zac Lowther struck out nine batters across six scoreless innings to claim the Eastern League lead in strikeouts (154).
The Flying Squirrels finish the series against the Bowie Baysox and complete the 2019 season on Monday. First pitch is scheduled for 1:05 p.m. and coverage begins with the Flying Squirrels Pregame Warmup at 12:35 p.m. on Sports Radio 910 the Fan and 105.1 FM.
Spend Labor Day with the Flying Squirrels and celebrate one last day of baseball in Funnville as the team's 10th season comes to a close, presented by Drive Shack. Gates open at Noon.
Dogs are admitted free in Funnville every Monday home game. Please request a dog-friendly seating section if accompanied by a pet (sections 101-103, 203-204 and General Admission first base side).
For tickets or more information, call 804-359-3866 (FUNN), visit SquirrelsBaseball.com/Tickets or stop by the Flying Squirrels box office.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from September 1, 2019
- RubberDucks Play Spoiler to Erie - Akron RubberDucks
- Thunder Drop Penultimate Regular-Season Game - Trenton Thunder
- Two Homers Lift Goats over Ponies - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Clutch Eighth Inning Carries Fightins - Reading Fightin Phils
- Yard Goats Blast Two Homers in 3-2 Win - Hartford Yard Goats
- SeaWolves Fall to Ducks 5-1 on Sunday - Erie SeaWolves
- Fargas Sets Squirrels' Single-Season Steals Mark in Win over Baysox - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Flying Squirrels Announce 2019 Team Awards - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Akron RubberDucks - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- 'Dogs Drop 7-1 to New Hampshire in the Annual Field of Dreams - Portland Sea Dogs
- Sanchez, Senators Blank Curve on Sunday - Altoona Curve
- Sanchez Allows No Hits through Seven as Senators Cruise to 3-0 Victory - Harrisburg Senators
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #139: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (31-42, 66-72) vs. Hartford Yard Goats (35-35, 72-65) - 6:35 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information and Starting Lineup vs. Altoona - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes September 1st vs. New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Richmond Flying Squirrels Stories
- Name Submissions for New Flying Squirrels, COTU Beer Now Open
- Flying Squirrels, VMHC Present "Hamilton Arrives" at the Diamond on November 16
- Flying Squirrels Nominated for Top MiLB Award
- Parney Named Eastern League Executive of the Year
- Bart Named Eastern League Player of the Week