RubberDucks Play Spoiler to Erie
The Akron RubberDucks dashed the playoff hopes of the Erie SeaWolves behind a solid outing from Kyle Dowdy and two home runs to win 5-1 Sunday night at Canal Park
The turning point came in the fifth inning when the RubberDucks erupted for four runs, capped off by a towering Nolan Jones home run, giving the RubberDucks the 5-1 lead.
Danny Salazar started the game for the Akron RubberDucks and went a scoreless inning with one walk before being relieved by Kyle Dowdy in the second. Dowdy went six strong innings, allowing only three hits and one earned run while striking out seven Erie SeaWolves. Dalbert Siri and Hector Hernandez escaped trouble in a combined two innings out of the bullpen to secure the win for Akron.
The RubberDucks' production came on extra bases from Connor Smith who had an RBI double to the left field wall in the fifth and then a two-run homer from Nolan Jones put the game out of reach, 5-1. The Ducks amassed seven hits, including doubles from Smith and Alex Call. Trenton Brooks continues his hot month of August, getting the RubberDucks on the board in the fourth inning with a solo shot to right.
Kyle Dowdy, in his fourth start for Akron, is now 1-1 with a 2.95 ERA over 21.3 innings, allowing seven earned runs ... That win marked Dowdy's first double-A win since July 11 with Nashville and 8/31/18 at Erie ... Trenton Brooks now has extra base hits in six of his last seven games at Canal Park with his home run to right field in the fourth inning, and he now has a five game hitting streak, going 6-for-14 (.429) over that span ... Nolan Jones added two more runs batted in tonight and is now up to six multi-RBI games this season since his promotion to Akron July 11 ... Tonight's win marks the first home win over the Erie SeaWolves this season and the Ducks are 4-13 vs. Erie on the season ... Time of Game: 2:47 (:11 pre-game delay)... Attendance: 6,003
On the Pond
The RubberDucks play their final game of the 2019 season at Canal Park, as they take on the Erie SeaWolves Monday afternoon at 1:05 p.m. The game will be broadcast on Fox Sports 1350 AM, the WARF iHeart channel, and the TuneIn Radio App. RHP Adam Scott will take the ball for the RubberDucks as they try to finish the season on a high note.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from September 1, 2019
- RubberDucks Play Spoiler to Erie - Akron RubberDucks
- Thunder Drop Penultimate Regular-Season Game - Trenton Thunder
- Two Homers Lift Goats over Ponies - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Clutch Eighth Inning Carries Fightins - Reading Fightin Phils
- Yard Goats Blast Two Homers in 3-2 Win - Hartford Yard Goats
- SeaWolves Fall to Ducks 5-1 on Sunday - Erie SeaWolves
- Fargas Sets Squirrels' Single-Season Steals Mark in Win over Baysox - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Flying Squirrels Announce 2019 Team Awards - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Akron RubberDucks - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- 'Dogs Drop 7-1 to New Hampshire in the Annual Field of Dreams - Portland Sea Dogs
- Sanchez, Senators Blank Curve on Sunday - Altoona Curve
- Sanchez Allows No Hits through Seven as Senators Cruise to 3-0 Victory - Harrisburg Senators
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #139: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (31-42, 66-72) vs. Hartford Yard Goats (35-35, 72-65) - 6:35 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information and Starting Lineup vs. Altoona - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes September 1st vs. New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.