Edmonton Oilers Recall Thunder Goaltender Tyler Bunz to Oklahoma City
STOCKTON, Calif. - The Stockton Thunder, proud ECHL affiliate of the Edmonton Oilers of the National Hockey League, announced that Edmonton has recalled rookie goaltender Tyler Bunz from the Thunder to the Oklahoma City Barons of the American Hockey League.
Bunz, 20, will be available to suit up for the Barons in their next game tomorrow against San Antonio at 5:00 p.m. PT.
The 6-foot-1 and 198 pound goaltender is 11-9-3 with a 3.45 goals against average and one shutout this season with the Thunder. He had a shutout streak of 137:49 during October and blanked the Ontario Reign, 4-0 for his first ECHL career win.
He was selected in the fifth round (121st overall) of the 2010 National Hockey League Entry Draft by the Oilers and garnered the Del Wilson Trophy as the Western Hockey League Goaltender of the Year last season with the Medicine Hat Tigers.
Bunz was also named a WHL Eastern Conference First All-Star Team selection in 2011-12 and ranked third in the WHL with a career high 39 wins. His .921 save percentage was also a career best (ranking second in the league), capping off a season where he was named among the three stars of the game 27 times.
For his five year major junior career, the St. Albert, Alberta native posted a record of 115-55-19 with a 2.72 goals against average, .911 save percentage and eight shutouts. Bunz also suited up for Edmonton in the 2010 and 2011 YoungStars Tournaments in Penticton, B.C. and went 2-0 with a shutout against the Winnipeg Jets in the 2011 tourney.
A two time recipient of the ECHL "Award of Excellence," the Thunder led the ECHL in attendance for four consecutive seasons and drew over 200,000 fans for the seventh consecutive season in 2011-12. Season Tickets, Group Tickets and Mini-Plans for 2012-13 are on sale now. For more information about tickets, merchandise, or other inquiries contact the Stockton Thunder offices at (209) 373-1500 or visit www.StocktonThunder.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 17, 2013
- Neal Deals Nailers Setback in Orlando - Wheeling Nailers
- Neal's Five Point Night Leads Solar Bears to 7-2 Win over Wheeling - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cameron Powers Road Warriors Past Gwinnett - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Glads Fall 5-1 in Greenville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Grizzlies Home Friday, Saturday, Monday - Utah Grizzlies
- Condors Sign Scott Freeman - Bakersfield Condors
- Berube Reassigned to Reign from Monarchs - Ontario Reign
- Nathan Moon Named to ECHL All-Star Game - Evansville IceMen
- Wranglers Visit Patients, Unveil 10th FANniversary Jersey at Children's Hospital of Nevada at UMC - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Thunder Hosts San Francisco 49ers Watch Party - Stockton Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - January 17 - ECHL
- Bulls Add Highly-Skilled Sebastian Trudeau - San Francisco Bulls
- C.J. Severyn Selected to ECHL All-Star Team - Orlando Solar Bears
- C.J. Severyn Selected the ECHL All-Star Team - Orlando Solar Bears
- Toledo Walleye's Coetzee Headed to All-Star Game - Toledo Walleye
- Mitch Wahl Named ECHL All-Star - Utah Grizzlies
- Huxley Added as Late Edition to All-Star Team - Ontario Reign
- Marino, Rizk, Hegarty Return to Komet Fold; Walleye Visit Friday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Ten Players Added to Roster for ECHL All-Star Game - ECHL
- Justin Maylan Named to ECHL All-Star Roster - Stockton Thunder
- Mike Marcou Named Starter in ECHL All-Star Game - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Taylor Ellington to Replace Josh Shalla at 2013 ECHL All-Star Classic - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fyten Added to ECHL All-Star Game Roster - Idaho Steelheads
- Francis Verreault Named to All-Star Team - Bakersfield Condors
- Edmonton Oilers Recall Thunder Goaltender Tyler Bunz to Oklahoma City - Stockton Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Wheeling Nailers - January 17 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Three Return from Chicago and Harry Young Heads to Albany - Kalamazoo Wings
- 2013 ECHL All-Star Skills Competition Details Announced - Colorado Eagles
- Cesar Millan Comes to Wings Stadium - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Today - January 17 - ECHL
- Vallerand Returns, Schneider Signs - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Reign Roll Wranglers with 4-1 Win - Ontario Reign
- Wranglers Fall 4-1 in Ontario - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Special Teams Pace Titans in OT Win over Rival Reading, 4-3 - Trenton Titans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Stockton Thunder Stories
- Final Weather Report: All the News and Notes from the Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Announce End of the Year Equipment Sale
- Thunder Win Final ECHL Game in front of Sold Out Crowd
- Final Thunder Home Game at Stockton Arena at 7:30 p.m.
- Larocque Scores in Second Straight against Bakersfield but Team Falls