Eagles Well Represented in CHL's "Best of the Best" Poll
WINDSOR, Colo.- The Colorado Eagles were once again well represented in the Central Hockey League's annual "Best of the Best" poll. The Eagles led the CHL with eight first place votes and they were in the top three in 19 of the 46 categories. In two of the first place votes, the Eagles were voted has having the "Best Fans" and the "Toughest Building to Win In" for the third consecutive season.
Eagles' center and assistant captain Riley Nelson led the team in individual categories. The fourth-year veteran showed up on six topics including being number one in the "Best Skater" category in which he took 10 first place votes out of a possible 16, and he finished as the top "Best Penalty Killer". Nelson was second in "Most Gentlemanly Player" and third in "Best Overall Player", "Smartest Player", and "Best Leader". Eagles forward Ryan Tobler won his fourth straight "Best Power Forward" and he was voted number one in the "Best Fighter (Heavyweight)" category. Nelson's linemate Chris Hartsburg also appeared in two separate categories, he was second in "Best Defensive Forward" and he finished second to Nelson in the "Best Penalty Killer" category. Two other Eagles earned with individual honors, Brad Williamson was second in "Best Offensive Defenseman" and Fraser Filipic, after winning the "Best Fighter" category last season, finished third in "Best Fighter (Pound for Pound)" this season.
The Eagles organization, fans and corporate partners were also recognized. The final two first place votes went to the Eagles Chicks for being the "Best Cheerleaders" and the Fort Collins Marriott as being the "Best Host Hotel". The team finished second in the "Best Uniforms" category, the Budweiser Events Center finished third in "Best Press Box", Eagles PA announcer Reed Saunders finished third, and finally the Loveland/Fort Collins/Greeley area finished third in "Best City".
The poll is a non-scientific survey conducted by coaches, players and front office personnel. A complete listing of it is at www.centralhockeyleague.com/pagebank/?id=5102.
The Eagles head to Laredo Friday night in a matchup of the top two teams in the CHL. Game time is set for 6:30 p.m. MST and there will be a viewing party at Old Chicago on Harmony and Timberline in Fort Collins. Fans are encouraged to get there early. The Eagles will then travel to Austin for a game on Saturday night at 6:30 p.m. MST. Catch all of the Eagles games on 107.9 The Bear.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 8, 2007
- Rage Rallies Past Wichita, 4-3 - Rocky Mountain Rage
- Scorpions Get Back In Win Column With Shootout Victory - New Mexico Scorpions
- RiverKings fans guaranteed to have fun Saturday night - Mississippi RiverKings
- "Hispanic Night" to Feature Live Hockey Broadcast Televised on Telemundo - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Rattray, La Chapelle, Uniforms Noted in Best of Best - Tulsa Oilers
- Scorpions Garner CHL's Best Of The Best - New Mexico Scorpions
- Rosco Voted CHL's Top Coach - Laredo Bucks
- Those pesky fans cited again - Wichita Thunder
- Eagles Well Represented in CHL's "Best of the Best" Poll - Colorado Eagles
- McIver, Rayz recognized by CHL - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bees' website voted tops in Best-of-the-Best Poll - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Rage Training Staff Voted CHL's Best - Rocky Mountain Rage
- Sundogs Highlighted in CHL Best of the Best Poll - Arizona Sundogs
- RiverKings receive recognition in CHL's "Best of the Best" Poll - Mississippi RiverKings
- Annual CHL 'Best of the Best' Poll Results Announced - CHL
- SteelHounds Christian and Richards Dominate CHL "Best of the Best" Poll - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Rayz look to swat Bees in two-game set - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Mudbugs Recognized in CHL "Best of the Best" Poll - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Oilers About Town - Tulsa Oilers
- Cotton Kings Game Night Preview - Lubbock Cotton Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- Pot of Gold Fundraiser Begins with $30,000 Donation to Three-Year Old Cancer Patient
- Eagles Re-Sign Wegwerth to AHL Two-Way Contract
- Colorado Eagles Re-Sign Davis, Tischke
- Eagles Ink Pair of Defensemen in Abt, Scheid
- Pot of Gold Fundraiser Kicks off with Jersey Auction