RiverKings receive recognition in CHL's "Best of the Best" Poll
SOUTHAVEN, MS --- The Central Hockey League released it's "Best of the Best" Poll today and the Memphis RiverKings received top three recognition in a number of categories. The poll is a nonscientific survey consisting of 46 different categories ranging from best overall player to best mascots. Ballots for the poll were completed by each CHL team with input coming from coaches, players and broadcasters.
RiverKings five-time all star defenseman Derek Landmesser was voted as the best offensive defenseman. Landmesser, who became the franchise leader in assists earlier this season, was also voted third best on the power play and third best body checker. Youngstown's Jeff Christian and Chris Richards finished 1-2 as being the best on the power play. Oklahoma City Blazer Tyler Fleck, who placed first, and the Wichita Thunder's Daniel Tetrault finished ahead of Landmesser in the body checker categories.
RiverKings Head Coach Kevin McClelland was voted as the second best coach, behind Terry Ruskowski of the defending President's Cup Champion Laredo Bucks.
Off the ice, RiverKings radio broadcaster Jim Erickson was voted as the best broadcaster and the team's media game notes were voted as second best. In addition, the RiverKings Game Operations Department was recognized as playing the second best arena music during games.
The entire poll can be seen on the Central Hockey League's website at
The playoff-bound RiverKings return home this weekend to host the Oklahoma City Blazers and the Youngstown Steelhounds, Friday and Saturday night. Both games begin at 7:05 at the DeSoto Civic Center.
A RiverKings game is even more fun when you come as a group. Groups of 10 or more save up to 30% on the box office rate, plus every person in the group receives a player mini bobblehead. Call 662-342-1755 for more information.
RiverKings Single-Game Tickets for all 2006-2007 home games are on sale now at the DeSoto Civic Center box office and at all TicketMaster locations and at ticketmaster.com.
UPCOMING PROMOTIONS: Friday, March 9-First 1500 fans 21 and older receive a Miller Lite Flashing Lite Necklace. Post Game Skate; Saturday, March 10-First 1500 fans get a Hockey Mr. Potato Head sponsored by CW-30.
After every RiverKings home game, the party heads to the new Buffalo Wild Wings on Airways in Southaven, the official Post Game Hang-Out of the RiverKings.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 8, 2007
- Rage Rallies Past Wichita, 4-3 - Rocky Mountain Rage
- Scorpions Get Back In Win Column With Shootout Victory - New Mexico Scorpions
- RiverKings fans guaranteed to have fun Saturday night - Mississippi RiverKings
- "Hispanic Night" to Feature Live Hockey Broadcast Televised on Telemundo - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Rattray, La Chapelle, Uniforms Noted in Best of Best - Tulsa Oilers
- Scorpions Garner CHL's Best Of The Best - New Mexico Scorpions
- Rosco Voted CHL's Top Coach - Laredo Bucks
- Those pesky fans cited again - Wichita Thunder
- Eagles Well Represented in CHL's "Best of the Best" Poll - Colorado Eagles
- McIver, Rayz recognized by CHL - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bees' website voted tops in Best-of-the-Best Poll - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Rage Training Staff Voted CHL's Best - Rocky Mountain Rage
- Sundogs Highlighted in CHL Best of the Best Poll - Arizona Sundogs
- RiverKings receive recognition in CHL's "Best of the Best" Poll - Mississippi RiverKings
- Annual CHL 'Best of the Best' Poll Results Announced - CHL
- SteelHounds Christian and Richards Dominate CHL "Best of the Best" Poll - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Rayz look to swat Bees in two-game set - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Mudbugs Recognized in CHL "Best of the Best" Poll - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Oilers About Town - Tulsa Oilers
- Cotton Kings Game Night Preview - Lubbock Cotton Kings