McIver, Rayz recognized by CHL
The Central Hockey League's annual "Best of the Best" Poll results were announced Thursday afternoon, and the Corpus Christi Rayz received four awards in the league-wide survey poll. The Rayz were recognized for excellence in four different categories. The top three vote getters in 46 different categories are named in the poll completed by all 17 CHL Teams. The Best of the Best Poll rewards individuals and teams for on and off the ice achievement. Rayz forward Derrick McIver - who is currently up with the San Antonio Rampage of the American Hockey League - was the biggest winner for Corpus Christi being named the Most Underrated Player in the CHL. That marks the second straight season that a Rayz player won that honor with Ryan Carter earning the same distinction a year ago. This poll is the third straight season that the Rayz have placed first in at least one category. The Rayz were also recognized in the categories of Best Broadcaster, Best Press Box and Best Dance Team.
McIver, 27, has consistently been a top forward in the league since joining the Rayz as a rookie in 2004-2005. Signed on the day before that season started, McIver scored his a pro debut and had not missed a game in three seasons until his recent call-up to the AHL. He has amassed 66 goals and 66 assists in 177 games in his three seasons with the Rayz. McIver was named as a Rookie of the Year Finalist after notching 25 goals in his first season, and followed that up with another 20+ goal performance last year. This season, McIver ranks fourth on the team with 18 goals has career-highs with 27 assists and 45 points in 53 games. McIver, who has helped lead the Rayz to the second best record in the Southern Conference, was widely regarded as one of the major snubs in the recent 2007 CHL All-Star Game.
In addition to McIver's designation as most underrated, the Rayz received three other awards. The American Bank Center Press Box was voted the second best in the league, and the Ice Girls were named the second best Dance Team in the league. Rayz Broadcaster, Josh Bogorad was voted the third best Broadcaster in the CHL.
Voting for the Best of the Best Poll is conducted by each of the 17 teams in the CHL. Each team submits their top three choices for each category, with first place votes counting as five points, second place votes counting as three points and third place votes counting as a single point. The votes are then tabulated and released by the league. For a complete list of the CHL Best of the Best Poll results please visit http://www.centralhockeyleague.com/pagebank/?id=5102.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 8, 2007
- Rage Rallies Past Wichita, 4-3 - Rocky Mountain Rage
- Scorpions Get Back In Win Column With Shootout Victory - New Mexico Scorpions
- RiverKings fans guaranteed to have fun Saturday night - Mississippi RiverKings
- "Hispanic Night" to Feature Live Hockey Broadcast Televised on Telemundo - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Rattray, La Chapelle, Uniforms Noted in Best of Best - Tulsa Oilers
- Scorpions Garner CHL's Best Of The Best - New Mexico Scorpions
- Rosco Voted CHL's Top Coach - Laredo Bucks
- Those pesky fans cited again - Wichita Thunder
- Eagles Well Represented in CHL's "Best of the Best" Poll - Colorado Eagles
- McIver, Rayz recognized by CHL - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bees' website voted tops in Best-of-the-Best Poll - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Rage Training Staff Voted CHL's Best - Rocky Mountain Rage
- Sundogs Highlighted in CHL Best of the Best Poll - Arizona Sundogs
- RiverKings receive recognition in CHL's "Best of the Best" Poll - Mississippi RiverKings
- Annual CHL 'Best of the Best' Poll Results Announced - CHL
- SteelHounds Christian and Richards Dominate CHL "Best of the Best" Poll - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Rayz look to swat Bees in two-game set - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Mudbugs Recognized in CHL "Best of the Best" Poll - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Oilers About Town - Tulsa Oilers
- Cotton Kings Game Night Preview - Lubbock Cotton Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale