Scorpions Garner CHL's Best Of The Best
[ RIO RANCHO, N.M.]-As the New Mexico Scorpions head toward the drive for the playoffs, regular season awards are being collected. In the annual Central Hockey League's (CHL) Best of the Best Poll, the Scorpions grabbed some special honors.
Defenseman Aaron MacInnis was recognized as being the "Best Defensive Defenseman." The Port Hood, N.S. native is also known for having one of the hardest shots in the league and was voted third in that category.
"It is nice to be recognized for an award like this," said MacInnis. "Without my defensive partner Vladimir Hartinger I would have never been considered for this award. Being able to play with him has improved my game."
Since the Scorpions traded for goaltender David Cacciola, wins have come more frequently. The teams around the CHL noticed and awarded the Burlington, Mass. native with the "Best Goaltender" award.
"I want to thank all those who vote for this award," said Cacciola. "Without my teammates doing their jobs in front of me, it would not have been possible. This is truly an award for our entire team.
Head Coach Ray Edwards has always been known to have teams that work hard on and off the ice. This season is no different as the Scorpions placed third in the "Hardest Working Team" category.
"I have always believed that hard working teams will be successful," said Edwards. "All season long we have preached to these guys that hard work will turn into success and it is nice when teams around the league see that and award such an honor."
All season long the Scorpions have been known for having one of the youngest teams in the CHL. The rookies that have led this team have grown up quickly and become leaders in their own right.
Lance Herauf and Ryan McLeod were named as the second and third "Best Rookies" respectively. As the season winds down, and the official CHL awards are unveiled, both Herauf and McLeod, along with fellow Scorpion rookies Mike Falk and Mike Prpich will make noise as they vie for the top rookie in the entire CHL.
To see a complete list of the CHL Best of the Best poll click here.
The Scorpions face the Cotton Kings in Lubbock on Thursday night. It starts a busy three-game in three nights weekend. New Mexico will move to Amarillo on Friday before returning home on Saturday, March 10 to face Wichita.
The first 1,500 children 12 and under through the doors on Saturday night get a free Scorpions junior jersey. The first 1,000 adults inside the Santa Ana Star Center on Saturday night get a Scorpions megaphone; both items are courtesy of Peoples Mortgage. The puck drops at 7:05 p.m.
The Scorpions are holding their first "Red Out Night" on Saturday, March 24. Buy your Red Out T-shirt for only $15 and get a free ticket to see the Scorpions take on the Rocky Mountain Rage at 7:05 p.m. Be a part of the most exciting professional sports team in New Mexico and show fans throughout state you bleed red. Visit www.scorpionshockey.com for more details or call (505) 881-PUCK .
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 8, 2007
- Rage Rallies Past Wichita, 4-3 - Rocky Mountain Rage
- Scorpions Get Back In Win Column With Shootout Victory - New Mexico Scorpions
- RiverKings fans guaranteed to have fun Saturday night - Mississippi RiverKings
- "Hispanic Night" to Feature Live Hockey Broadcast Televised on Telemundo - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Rattray, La Chapelle, Uniforms Noted in Best of Best - Tulsa Oilers
- Scorpions Garner CHL's Best Of The Best - New Mexico Scorpions
- Rosco Voted CHL's Top Coach - Laredo Bucks
- Those pesky fans cited again - Wichita Thunder
- Eagles Well Represented in CHL's "Best of the Best" Poll - Colorado Eagles
- McIver, Rayz recognized by CHL - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bees' website voted tops in Best-of-the-Best Poll - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Rage Training Staff Voted CHL's Best - Rocky Mountain Rage
- Sundogs Highlighted in CHL Best of the Best Poll - Arizona Sundogs
- RiverKings receive recognition in CHL's "Best of the Best" Poll - Mississippi RiverKings
- Annual CHL 'Best of the Best' Poll Results Announced - CHL
- SteelHounds Christian and Richards Dominate CHL "Best of the Best" Poll - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Rayz look to swat Bees in two-game set - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Mudbugs Recognized in CHL "Best of the Best" Poll - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Oilers About Town - Tulsa Oilers
- Cotton Kings Game Night Preview - Lubbock Cotton Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.