Eagles Drop Opening Preseason Game to 'Jacks
FORT COLLINS, Colo. - A rookie-laden squad of Colorado Eagles fell, 7-3, to a much more experienced group of Odessa Jackalopes as the two teams kicked off the 2010 preseason with a meeting at the NoCo Ice Center as part of a benefit game for youth hockey in Northern Colorado. The two teams will meet again Saturday night at the Budweiser Events Center in the second, and final, preseason game for each team.
The Eagles, who dressed 17 players for the exhibition game -- 10 of which were rookies -- got into trouble by putting Odessa, which finished last season with the CHL's top power play and second-highest scoring offense, on several power plays (three of which they scored on).
The Jackalopes got out to an early lead, 2:08 into the opening period, after a turnover led to a 2-on-1 break converted by Todd Robinson. The Eagles evened up the score at 12:13 as Dylan Stanley carried the puck into the Odessa zone along the left wing where he momentarily lost control before re-gaining the puck and finding Daymen Rycroft down the slot for a wrister past Marc-Antoine Gelinas.
But just 15 seconds later, Odessa's Mike Lesperance fired a puck past Tim Boron to retake the lead. Colorado countered back at 15:41 when Rycroft got his second of the frame by deflecting a David Brown pass as the two teams skated 4-on-4. However, with just six seconds left in the opening frame, the 'Jacks re-took the lead with their first power-play goal when Dominic Leveille deflected an Alex Dunn shot into the back of the net.
Things fell apart in the middle frame for the Eagles as they spent most of the first half in the penalty box, allowing Odessa's potent power play to put home two more goals. Kenny Corupe made it 4-2 at 5:07, and Pierre-Olivier Beaulieu took a rebound off the end-wall and put a shot in off of Boron at 9:14.
Trailing 5-2 entering the final frame, Colorado struck again at 14:03 when Stanley found Braden Desmet in the low slot for a sweeping score, but the reigning Governors' Cup champion Jackalopes tallied two late goals to snuff any comeback hopes as Morgan MacLean and Beaulieu iced the contest.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from October 8, 2010
- Brahmas Come Out On Top In Preseason Matchup, 3-2 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Bucks Close Out Preseason With 4-1 Win - Laredo Bucks
- Killer Bees fall to Bucks 4-1 in Laredo - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- 'Dogs to Battle Defending CHL Champs in Pair of Preseason Games this Weekend - Arizona Sundogs
- RiverKings Embark on 19th CHL Season this Weekend - Mississippi RiverKings
- Mudbugs Head to Mississippi for Preseason Tilts - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Mallards Make Preseason Bow at i Wireless Center Tomorrow Night - Quad City Mallards
- Mudbugs Release Promotional Schedule - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Gems Sign Goaltender - Dayton Gems
- Bucks Host Bees Tonight in Preseason Finale - Laredo Bucks
- RiverKings on Radio 2010-11 - Mississippi RiverKings
- Preseason Game This Saturday - Dayton Gems
- Eagles Drop Opening Preseason Game to 'Jacks - Colorado Eagles
- Gems Fall Short 3-2 - Dayton Gems
- Jacks Top Eagles, 7-3, in Preseason Opener - Odessa Jackalopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- Eagles Announce Series of Transactions
- Bakersfield Takes 2-1 Series Lead with 5-2 Victory over Eagles
- Colorado Evens Series at 1-1 with 4-1 Win over Condors
- Eagles Fall to Bakersfield in Game One, 3-2
- Colorado Eagles Clinch Playoff Spot, First Round Schedule Announced