Gems Fall Short 3-2
Fort Wayne, IN- The Dayton Gems were defeated by the Fort Wayne Komets 3-2 last night in their first preseason game of 2010-11 season. After trailing 2-0 at the end of the first period, the Gems cut the deficit in half at 2-1 by the end of the second period. Despite beginning the third period with a two-man advantage, the Gems could not tie the game and instead wound up down by two goals, now trailing 3-1 with roughly 14 minutes remaining in regulation. With a young group of determined players not to just go down without a fight, the Gems were able to cut into the Komets lead by getting one back with just under three minutes remaining in regulation. Despite a valiant effort, the comeback fell short and they would go onto lost the game by the final score of 3-2.
One of the stories of the game had to be the Gems inability to convert on the power play. After receiving their first man advantage just two minutes into the opening period, and having a number of chances, the Gems finished 0-6 on the night. The Komets on the other hand were able to capitalize early to take the lead and finished the game 1-4 on the power play.
Another factor that contributed to the Gems getting behind by two goals in the first period was the fact that Fort Wayne out shot Dayton in each period. In all the Komets ended up with 14 more shots than the Gems.
The Gems played both of their rookie goaltenders Guillaume Piche and Jonathan Olthuis (who both at times showed signs of brilliance), while the Komets answered that with both of their Veteran goalies in Nick Boucher and Kevin Reiter. Returning forward Mike Vaskivuo scored Dayton's first goal of the game in the second period and rookie Kyle Bochek tallied the final goal of the night late in the third period.
Don't forget that the Gems only home Exhibition game for the 2010-11 preseason is coming up this Saturday, October 9th at 7:30 pm at Hara Arena.
The Gems will be completing a home-in-home two game preseason schedule with their rivals. For this Saturday's home game, all current season ticket holders will be admitted at no cost, for the general public or non season ticket holders, the price of admission will only be $5.00. Everyone attending the game that night will not have to pay for parking (normally a $5.00 charge for non season ticket holders).
Season tickets are on sale now!! Full and partial ticket plans are available. For more information call the Gems offices at 937-275-7777 or log onto our website at www.daytongems.com . You can also catch us on facebook at facebook.com/daytongems. Opening night at Hara Arena is Saturday, October 16th as the Gems host the Evansville IceMen at 7:30 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from October 8, 2010
- Brahmas Come Out On Top In Preseason Matchup, 3-2 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Bucks Close Out Preseason With 4-1 Win - Laredo Bucks
- Killer Bees fall to Bucks 4-1 in Laredo - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- 'Dogs to Battle Defending CHL Champs in Pair of Preseason Games this Weekend - Arizona Sundogs
- RiverKings Embark on 19th CHL Season this Weekend - Mississippi RiverKings
- Mudbugs Head to Mississippi for Preseason Tilts - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Mallards Make Preseason Bow at i Wireless Center Tomorrow Night - Quad City Mallards
- Mudbugs Release Promotional Schedule - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Gems Sign Goaltender - Dayton Gems
- Bucks Host Bees Tonight in Preseason Finale - Laredo Bucks
- RiverKings on Radio 2010-11 - Mississippi RiverKings
- Preseason Game This Saturday - Dayton Gems
- Eagles Drop Opening Preseason Game to 'Jacks - Colorado Eagles
- Gems Fall Short 3-2 - Dayton Gems
- Jacks Top Eagles, 7-3, in Preseason Opener - Odessa Jackalopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Gems Stories
- Dayton Gems Donate Thousands of Dollars to Local Family & Area First Responders
- Dayton Gems End Season After 6-2 Loss to Komets Sunday
- Gems Play Season Finale Against Komets Today
- Gems Fall in Overtime to Komets 2-1 on Saturday Night
- Gems Host Komets for "Pack the House Night"