Bucks Close Out Preseason With 4-1 Win
LAREDO, TX- The Laredo Bucks of the Central Hockey League beat the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees 4-1 Friday night at Laredo Energy Arena in the preseason finale for both teams. The Bucks finish the preseason with a 1-0-1 record.
Torrie Jung picked up the in net for the Bucks stopping 33 of 34 shots he faced while Matt Robinson scored two goals to lead Laredo.
The game was scoreless after the first period as neither team was able to light the lamp. The two teams combined for 33 penalty minutes in the first period including two separate fights as the Bees outshot the Bucks 15-12.
The Bucks scored two goals in 1:38 to take a 2-0 lead early in the second period. Daniel Koger took a pass from Tyler Barr on a two-on-two break and stuffed in a shot 4:46 into the second. Laredo went up 2-0 just 1:38 later when Robinson stuffed home a rebound from the middle of the right circle.
Laredo would increase their lead to 3-0 with 1:46 left in the second when B.J Crum scored on a laser shot from the point.
The Bucks outshot the Bees in the second period 11-9.
Laredo went up 4-0 with 9:24 left in the game when Robinson scored his second goal of the game as he rifled a shot in from the circle.
The Bees (1-1) got on the board and made it 4-1 when Tyler Lehrke scored a breakaway goal with 8:17 left in the third period.
The Bucks were outshot in the third period 10-7.
Juliano Pagliero stopped all 12 shots he faced in the first period while Brad Phillips set aside 14 of 18 attempts in the second and third periods.
The Bucks were outshot 34-30 in the game.
The start of the game was delayed 35 minutes due to the Bees' bus suffering a flat tire on the way to Laredo.
Jeff Bes and Serge Dube coached the game for the Bucks behind the bench while Terry Ruskowski evaluated players from the press box.
The Bucks played without several of their top players as Bes, Dube, Chris Korchinski, Mark O'Leary and Pier Pelletier did not suit up.
Laredo is scheduled to make cuts after Saturday's practice.
The Bucks will start their ninth CHL season on October 15th with their home opener October 23rd against Rio Grande Valley at Laredo Energy Arena. Season tickets are on sale now for the 2010-11 season. Call 718-BUCK (2825) to place our order now.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from October 8, 2010
- Brahmas Come Out On Top In Preseason Matchup, 3-2 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Bucks Close Out Preseason With 4-1 Win - Laredo Bucks
- Killer Bees fall to Bucks 4-1 in Laredo - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- 'Dogs to Battle Defending CHL Champs in Pair of Preseason Games this Weekend - Arizona Sundogs
- RiverKings Embark on 19th CHL Season this Weekend - Mississippi RiverKings
- Mudbugs Head to Mississippi for Preseason Tilts - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Mallards Make Preseason Bow at i Wireless Center Tomorrow Night - Quad City Mallards
- Mudbugs Release Promotional Schedule - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Gems Sign Goaltender - Dayton Gems
- Bucks Host Bees Tonight in Preseason Finale - Laredo Bucks
- RiverKings on Radio 2010-11 - Mississippi RiverKings
- Preseason Game This Saturday - Dayton Gems
- Eagles Drop Opening Preseason Game to 'Jacks - Colorado Eagles
- Gems Fall Short 3-2 - Dayton Gems
- Jacks Top Eagles, 7-3, in Preseason Opener - Odessa Jackalopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.