Jacks Top Eagles, 7-3, in Preseason Opener
Windsor, CO - Todd Robinson tallied a goal and two assists, Pierre-Olivier Beaulieu added a pair of goals as well, and the Odessa Jackalopes put up seven goals on Thursday night, in a 7-3 win over the Colorado Eagles at the NoCo Ice Center. The two teams will meet again on Saturday for their final preseason tune-up.
Robinson started the game's scoring just over two minutes into the contest with a slap shot from the right circle. Alex Dunn added the assist. Daymen Rycroft knotted the game for Colorado at 12:13 after a turnover in the neutral zone by the Jacks. 15 seconds later, Mike Lesperance put Odessa ahead again on a wrist shot from the right circle to make it a 2-1 score. Rycroft scored again in the period at 15:11 on a deflection before Dominic Leveille scored the fifth goal of the frame on the power play to make it 3-2, Odessa. Leveille's deflection effort came with just six seconds remaining in the period.
In the second, the Jacks jumped out to a two-goal cushion with another power play goal. This time is was Kenny Corupe. Midway through the period a pair of fights broke out as Colorado's Mario Joly tangled with Odessa's Jordan Chong. Troy Ofukany also dropped the gloves with the Eagle's Kip Workman.
The second period was capped off by a man-advantage goal from Beaulieu for his first of the game. Odessa held a 5-2 lead after forty minutes of play.
Both teams traded late goals in the third as Odessa's Morgan MacLean converted a two-on-one with Kenny Bernard, and Beaulieu notched his second goal on a wrist shot from the left circle. The final score was 7-3.
Odessa's Sebastien Thinel, Brady Leisenring, Michael Schutte, Dave Van Drunen, Garrett Gruenke, and Jeff Pierce did not appear in the game. Marc-Antoine Gelinas played the majority of the game in net and was responsible for all three goals given up. Richard Stine came in to the game with six minutes left to play in the game.
The two teams will move to the Budweiser Events Center on Saturday night for the final preseason meeting. Game time is set for 8:00 PM CST. The game can be heard live on Classic Rock 102.1 FM.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team will begin its 14th season in the Permian Basin in October 2010. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-PUCK or visiting jackalopes.org.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from October 8, 2010
- Brahmas Come Out On Top In Preseason Matchup, 3-2 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Bucks Close Out Preseason With 4-1 Win - Laredo Bucks
- Killer Bees fall to Bucks 4-1 in Laredo - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- 'Dogs to Battle Defending CHL Champs in Pair of Preseason Games this Weekend - Arizona Sundogs
- RiverKings Embark on 19th CHL Season this Weekend - Mississippi RiverKings
- Mudbugs Head to Mississippi for Preseason Tilts - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Mallards Make Preseason Bow at i Wireless Center Tomorrow Night - Quad City Mallards
- Mudbugs Release Promotional Schedule - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Gems Sign Goaltender - Dayton Gems
- Bucks Host Bees Tonight in Preseason Finale - Laredo Bucks
- RiverKings on Radio 2010-11 - Mississippi RiverKings
- Preseason Game This Saturday - Dayton Gems
- Eagles Drop Opening Preseason Game to 'Jacks - Colorado Eagles
- Gems Fall Short 3-2 - Dayton Gems
- Jacks Top Eagles, 7-3, in Preseason Opener - Odessa Jackalopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.