Brahmas Come Out On Top In Preseason Matchup, 3-2
NORTH RICHLAND HILLS, Texas - It was a feisty and chippy preseason matchup between the Brahmas and Americans Friday night, but it was the purple and black who came out victorious earning a 3-2 shootout victory over Allen at the NYTEX Sports Centre.
The Americans opened the scoring in the first period when Short beat Brahmas netminder Scott Campbell with his third shot faced in the evening at the 7:53 marker. Play began to get chippy and tempers flared when Texas' heavyweight forward Roger Maxwell delivered a powerful check on Mark Hinz with just over one minute remaining in the period earning Ryan McGill a lengthy amount of time in the sin bin and giving Texas the powerplay to begin the middle frame.
With only three ticks left on a Brahmas man advantage due to McGill's infractions, Texas forward and Hurst native Tom Train found daylight set in front of Adrien Lemay's net for a 1-1 tie on the powerplay. That would be it for scoring in the second period, but not for the violence as three fights were dished out much to the fans delight with the matches between Allen's Iain McPhee and Texas' Tyler Allen; Justin DaCosta (ALN) and Troy Schwab (TEX) and Dustin Donaghy (ALN) and Jason Beeman (TEX). Midway in the second the Brahmas made goaltender change giving rookie Wayne Savage time in net.
Texas' offseason pickup Greg Hogeboom proved why he is a force to be reckoned with when he took a feed from Train and went one on one with Lemay beating him for the 2-1 lead at the 3:41 in the third. Matt Miller scored the equalizer for Allen four minutes later beating Savage. Americans' Orlando and Brahmas' Maxwell put the fans on their feet when they dropped the gloves midway through the final period. Though the intensity was raised, defensive battles kept scorers off the board leading to the overtime and ultimately the final death shootout. The Brahmas needed just four shooters to earn the W' as Hogeboom, Jeff Hazelwood and Train were able to beat Lemay in net for a Texas 3-2 shootout victory.
The Brahmas travel to Allen to face the Americans tomorrow night for their final exhibition game before they open the 2010-11 season next Friday, October 15 against Allen. The Brahmas host their home opener on Friday, October 22 against the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees for a 7:30 pm faceoff. For tickets, please contact the Brahmas Box Office at (817) 336-4423 or visit www.brahmas.com.
Brahmas season ticket packages are still available for purchase; more on ticketing plans can be found online at www.brahmas.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from October 8, 2010
- Brahmas Come Out On Top In Preseason Matchup, 3-2 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Bucks Close Out Preseason With 4-1 Win - Laredo Bucks
- Killer Bees fall to Bucks 4-1 in Laredo - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- 'Dogs to Battle Defending CHL Champs in Pair of Preseason Games this Weekend - Arizona Sundogs
- RiverKings Embark on 19th CHL Season this Weekend - Mississippi RiverKings
- Mudbugs Head to Mississippi for Preseason Tilts - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Mallards Make Preseason Bow at i Wireless Center Tomorrow Night - Quad City Mallards
- Mudbugs Release Promotional Schedule - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Gems Sign Goaltender - Dayton Gems
- Bucks Host Bees Tonight in Preseason Finale - Laredo Bucks
- RiverKings on Radio 2010-11 - Mississippi RiverKings
- Preseason Game This Saturday - Dayton Gems
- Eagles Drop Opening Preseason Game to 'Jacks - Colorado Eagles
- Gems Fall Short 3-2 - Dayton Gems
- Jacks Top Eagles, 7-3, in Preseason Opener - Odessa Jackalopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.