Downs Homers Again in Loss to Syracuse
SYRACUSE N.Y. - The Syracuse Mets (46-68) took an early lead once again on the way to a 7-1 win over the Worcester Red Sox (65-51) at NBT Bank Stadium on Friday night.
Syracuse got the scoring started in the third inning, working against WooSox starter Kyle Hart. After Hart got a quick two outs, Mark Vientos doubled and Khalil Lee blasted a two-run shot, a ball that plummeted beyond the right field wall to put the home team up 2-0.
Jeter Downs had Worcester's answer in the fifth inning, a solo shot to left that cleared the Syracuse bullpen. The swing marked Downs' second long ball of the series and his 13th of the season.
But in the bottom of the inning, another home run swing extended the Mets' lead. Drew Jackson worked a 3-2 count and then lined a pitch over the left field wall to make it 3-0. That was the final run Hart was responsible for, as the left-hander went five innings, striking out five and allowing seven hits.
After Hart's exit, Syracuse scored in each of the next three innings. In the sixth, Cheslor Cuthbert tripled to right-center versus Austin Brice, a ball that rolled by right fielder Joey Meneses. Jackson followed with an RBI double to make it 4-1. A Vientos home run off Stephen Gonsalves in the seventh marked the 21-year-old's first in Triple-A, extending the Mets' lead to 5-1.
Brad Peacock was next out of the bullpen, making his WooSox debut. The right-hander allowed a home run to each of the first two men he faced-one to Patrick Mazeika to right and one to Jackson to left.
Overall, Syracuse put up seven runs on 13 hits and five home runs, tying a season-high for the most homers Worcester has allowed in a single game this season.
The WooSox continue the series Saturday at 6:35 p.m. against the Syracuse Mets at NBT Bank Stadium. Radio coverage starts live at 6:15 p.m. on 98.9 Nash Icon and the WooSox Radio Network. Worcester's Connor Seabold (2-3, 3.67) is scheduled to face Adam Oller (3-0, 1.98).
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from September 17, 2021
- Dakota Hudson Impresses and Redbirds Rally to Win Again - Memphis Redbirds
- Jacksonville Stumbles in 4-3 10-Inning Defeat - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Pigs outslug RailRiders on Friday night - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Early Pitching Trouble Dooms RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Hiura Homers Twice, Sounds Blank Stripers Again - Nashville Sounds
- Torkelson Drives in Pair as Comeback Falls Short - Toledo Mud Hens
- Charlotte Defeats Durham 5-4 - Durham Bulls
- Red Wings Play Spoiler, Beating Bisons 7-3 - Buffalo Bisons
- Miguel Yajure's Gem Shuts Down St. Paul, 2-0 - Indianapolis Indians
- Braymer Deals Wings to Victory Friday Night - Rochester Red Wings
- Reversal of Fortune, Saints Blanked by Indianapolis - St. Paul Saints
- Mark Vientos Hits First Triple-A Home Run in Three-Hit Night, Leads Syracuse to 7-1 Win over Worcester - Syracuse Mets
- Downs Homers Again in Loss to Syracuse - Worcester Red Sox
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (54-62) vs. St. Paul Saints (61-56) - Indianapolis Indians
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: September 17, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - September 17, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- September 17 Game Notes: Iowa at Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- Ernie Yake, Twins 2021 10th Round Draft Pick, to Join Saints - St. Paul Saints
- Knights Drop Thursday's Contest to Bulls 8-6 - Charlotte Knights
- I-Cubs Top Storm Chasers for Third Straight Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Chasers Drop Third Straight; Mud Hens Clinch Midwest Division - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bulls Clinch Triple-A East League Title with 8-6 Win over Knights - Durham Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Worcester Red Sox Stories
- First College Football Game at Polar Park - the EBW Classic - One Week Away
- WooSox to Celebrate October Baseball at Polar Park; Fans Can Watch Red Sox-Yankees Wild Card Game
- WooSox Close Inaugural Season with Series Sweep
- Gossett Shines, WooSox Victorious Again over IronPigs
- Inaugural Polar Park Pumpkin Patch Opens Monday to Celebrate October Baseball