Devils Drop Phantoms in Shootout, 2-1
NEWARK - Fabian Zetterlund scored in the third round of the shootout as the Binghamton Devils defeated the Lehigh Valley Phantoms on Monday night, 2-1, inside RWJBarnabas Health Hockey House.
After no scoring in the first period, Marian Studenic gave the Devils a 1-0 lead just over midway through the game. Just as the puck dropped on a penalty kill, Studenic moved down the ice and beat goaltender Zane McIntyre through the legs to open the scoring. The goal was his third of the year with assists from Colton White and Nate Schnarr at 10:29 and the Devils took the lead into the third period.
In the third period, Linus Hogberg scored his first American Hockey League goal to tie the game at one. Hogberg walked in from the blue line and sent a shot off the post and in at the 4:06 mark. Assists were given to Ryan Fitzgerald and Chris Bigras.
After no scoring in the rest of regulation or overtime, the game was decided in a shootout. In the third round, Fabian Zetterlund fired a slap shot off the post and in to defeat the Phantoms, 2-1. Gilles Senn stopped 26 of 27 in the win and McIntyre denied 27 of 28 in the loss.
The Devils return to the ice on Wednesday, April 7 against the Hershey Bears at 7:00 p.m. inside RWJBarnabas Health Hockey House.
Stay current with the latest team news by visiting www.binghamtondevils.com or downloading the team's Mobile App for Apple and Android devices. Tune in to every game this season LIVE on Fox Sports 1430 Binghamton and AHLTV. Follow the Devils all year long on Facebook (/bingdevils), Twitter (@BingDevils), and Instagram (@bingdevils).
Images from this story
Binghamton Devils left wing Ben Thomson (right) vs. the Lehigh Valley Phantoms
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 5, 2021
- Point Streak at Five with Standings Point at Devils - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Devils Drop Phantoms in Shootout, 2-1 - Binghamton Devils
- Wolves Insider: Pick a Goalie...Any Goalie - Chicago Wolves
- San Diego Gulls to Finish Season in Irvine - San Diego Gulls
- Anaheim Ducks Assign Zegras to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Eagles Reassign Three to ECHL, Sign Clurman to ATO - Colorado Eagles
- Florida Panthers Reassign Defenseman Vladislav Kolyachonok to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- P-Bruins Score Late Third Period Goal to Defeat Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 2-1 - Providence Bruins
- Sound Tigers' Offense Falters in 2-1 Setback - Bridgeport Islanders
- Bears Summon Goaltender Hunter Shepard from South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Avalanche Signs Clurman - Colorado Eagles
- Defender Alex Alexeyev Set to Return to Chocolate and White - Hershey Bears
- Iowa's Hunter Jones Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Hogs Weekly: IceHogs Close Four-Game Mini Series vs. Chicago Wednesday; Visit Griffins on Saturday - Rockford IceHogs
- Moose Announce Two Signings - Manitoba Moose
- Joel Teasdale Caught Fire on the Road - Laval Rocket
- Colorado Eagles Announce Multiple Transactions - Colorado Eagles
- Sound Tigers Battle Bruins on the Road at 1 p.m. - Bridgeport Islanders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.