Devils Add Blueliner
ALBANY, N.Y. - The Albany Devils, the AHL affiliate of the New Jersey Devils, have signed defenseman Mike Banwell to an amateur tryout contract. The announcement was made by Albany General Manager Chris Lamoriello. Banwell joins the Devils after finishing a four-year career at the University of Maine (Hockey East).
Banwell, 23, played 109 games for the Black Bears since arriving in Orono, Maine for the 2007-08 season. His career totals include 18 points with five goals and 13 assists. The 6-2, 195-lbs., left-shooting defenseman played 32 games this past season, totaling three assists and 56 penalty minutes and helping Maine to a 17-12-7 record. In 2009-10, Banwell was named a Maine Scholar-Athlete Award winner.
Prior to his collegiate career, Banwell played four seasons for Pickering of the OPJHL. He posted 55 points with 17 goals and 38 assists. During the 2006-07 season, he had career-high marks for points (26), goals (7) and assists (19). He was named the team's top defenseman that year.
Banwell is from Scarborough, Ont. and was born on June 18, 1987.
The Devils wrap-up a six-game road trip with a 7:30 p.m. contest at Syracuse tonight and a 7:00 p.m. outing at Hershey tomorrow. Both games can be heard on 104.5 FM "The Team' ESPN Radio or online at AHLLive.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 25, 2011
- IceHogs Finish Off Bulldogs 4-3 In Overtime - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Defeat Wolves 4-2 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Whale win over Checkers in shootout - Connecticut Whale
- Heat Fall 3-2 to Moose in Shootout - Abbotsford Heat
- Rampage Top Rivermen 4-2 - Peoria Rivermen
- Texas Rallys to Down Grand Rapids 5-3 - Texas Stars
- Aeros win 4-1 victory over Oklahoma City - Houston Aeros
- Amerks Fall To Monsters In Overtime; Drop Fourth Straight - Rochester Americans
- Moose Take The Heat In A Shootout 3-2 - Manitoba Moose
- Friday Night Dwight's - Manchester Monarchs
- Bulldogs Downed 4-3 by IceHogs in Overtime - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Phantoms Take Down the Bears - Adirondack Phantoms
- Rampage Sink Rivermen with 4-2 Win - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Demolish Devils, 6-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Shut Out By Monarchs - Norfolk Admirals
- Rakhshani's Hat Trick Powers Sound Tigers Past Pirates 5-2 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolves Thrown Off By Admirals, 4-2 - Chicago Wolves
- P-Bruins Defeat Sharks 4-2 - Providence Bruins
- Devils Stall In Syracuse - Albany Devils
- Whale Stuns Checkers with Comeback Shootout Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Sharks trapped by Providence 4-2 - Worcester Sharks
- Sound Tigers Roll Against the Pirates - Portland Pirates
- Full Team Post-Game Autograph Session Sunday - Manitoba Moose
- Coyotes Recall Ryan Hollweg from San Antonio on Emergency Basis - San Antonio Rampage
- Florida Panthers Recall Patrick Rissmiller from Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Monarchs Sign Two to Tryout - Manchester Monarchs
- Anaheim Recalls Left Wing Matt Beleskey - Syracuse Crunch
- Minnesota Wild Reassigns Peters to Houston Aeros - Houston Aeros
- B-Sens Sign Defenseman R.J. Anderson and Goaltender Peter Vetri - Binghamton Senators
- Game Day Preview - Grand Rapids at Texas - Texas Stars
- Devils Add Blueliner - Albany Devils
- Islanders Recall Defenseman Ty Wishart - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Game Day: Amerks Take on Red-Hot Monsters Tonight - Rochester Americans
- Hobey Baker Finalist Nyquist Joins Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Senators Re-Assign Roman Wick to Binghamton (AHL), Recall Mike Brodeur - Binghamton Senators
- Barons Notes - Oklahoma City Barons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.