Defenseman Garret Cockerill 11th to Sign with Royals for 2019-20
Reading, PA - Defenseman Garret Cockerill has come to terms on an ECHL contract with the Reading Royals for the 2019-20 season, the team announced Thursday. Cockerill joined the Royals in Jan. 2019 and provided one goal, five points and 26 PIM in 18 games. He completed the final two months of the season with Cleveland (AHL) and played in the first six Calder Cup Playoff games (1a, 4 PIM), helping the Monsters advance to the North Division Finals. In the AHL's regular season, he supplied five assists and a plus-two rating in 16 Monsters games.
Cockerill joins Jimmy Mazza as a returner to the Royals defensive corps. The 25-year-old is entering his third professional season.
2019-20 Royals roster
Defensemen (4): #19 Garret Cockerill, #27 Jeremy Beaudry, #75 Joe Masonius, #77 Jimmy Mazza
Forwards (7): #7 Trevor Gooch, #9 Brayden Low, #13 Olivier Labelle, #17 Brendan Robbins, #21 Frank DiChiara, #28 Brady Wiffen, #81 Corey Mackin
They said it
Head Coach Kirk MacDonald: "Garret joined us midway through last season and was one of the top defensemen on our team over the couple of months we had him. He contributes on the power play, moves the puck well and plays solid defense. We're happy to have him back for the start of this season in Reading."
Before the Royals acquired Cockerill from Jacksonville in January, the Brighton, MI native scored 14 points (4g) in 40 games for the Icemen.
In 2017-18, Cockerill played in 13 games with Northeastern University (1g, 15 pts.), then signed an ECHL deal with Kalamazoo in Dec. 2017. Cockerill scored one goal and six points with Kalamazoo (8 GP) and was loaned to Cleveland, where he added three goals, 14 points and 32 penalty minutes (40 GP).
At Northeastern (2014-17), Cockerill bagged 84 points (19g) in three-plus seasons (122 GP). He led Northeastern's blue line in points as a sophomore (22) and junior (33).
New for the 2019-20 season, take advantage of the Royals 5-Game Mini Plan that kicks off Opening Night on Sat., Oct. 19 at 7:00 p.m. and includes a meal for every game, a Reading Royals Hat, an exclusive fan experience, an autographed team picture and a guaranteed giveaway for each of the 5 games. Purchase your seat or seats today by calling 610-898-7825 or by visiting https://bit.ly/2LSHBp8.
The first Royals' home game on Oct. 19 vs. Maine features a massive block party, games, food, drinks and a special "Downtown Alive" concert on Penn Street before the home opener.
Royals season memberships are available for 2019-20 by heading to royalshockey.com/restoretheroar, visiting the Royals Box Office at Santander Arena (700 Penn Street) and calling 610-898-7825.
For the latest team news, visit royalshockey.com/news, and follow the team on Facebook (Facebook.com/ReadingRoyals), Twitter (Twitter.com/ReadingRoyals) and Instagram (Instagram.com/ReadingRoyals). Use #RestoreTheRoar to join the conversation.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from August 8, 2019
- Defenseman Garret Cockerill 11th to Sign with Royals for 2019-20 - Reading Royals
- Grizz Sign Stubbs and Mills to Tryout Contracts - Utah Grizzlies
- Forward Zack Andrusiak Added to Steelheads for 2019-20 Season - Idaho Steelheads
- Admirals Ink Backstop Alex Sakellaropoulos - Norfolk Admirals
- Thunder Announces Jersey of Hope - Wichita Thunder
- Solar Bears Hire Jared Staal as Assistant Coach - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavericks Sign Free Agent Forward Jack Walker - Kansas City Mavericks
- Wings Assistant Coach Joel Martin Agrees to Two-Year Extension - Kalamazoo Wings
- Arizona State's Anthony Croston Signs with Thunder - Adirondack Thunder
- Matt Rupert Returns to Indy for 2019-20 Season - Indy Fuel
- Worcester Railers Sign Defenseman Anthony Florentino for 2019-20 Season - Worcester Railers HC
- Mariners to Honor Local NHL Referee Wes McCauley - Maine Mariners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.