Defenseman Eric Baier to Lace Skates up Again for Solar Bears
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Orlando Solar Bears have announced that veteran defenseman Eric Baier has agreed to terms with the club on an ECHL Standard Player Contract for the remainder of the 2017-18 season.
Baier, 29, rejoins the Solar Bears for a franchise-record fifth season on the blue line, where from 2013-17, he skated in a club-record 233 games, producing 111 points (33g-78a) and 73 penalty minutes. During the 2017 offseason, Baier accepted a head coaching position with the Central Florida Hockey Club.
"As we deal with changes to our lineup, we're happy to welcome Eric back," Solar Bears head coach and general manager Drake Berehowsky said. "We expect him to be an asset to us over these final weeks of the season."
A veteran of 397 combined games at the AHL and ECHL levels, Baier has generated 147 points (42g-105a) and 111 penalty minutes in six full seasons of professional hockey. In his previous time with Orlando, Baier set club records for career goals, assists and points scored by a defenseman. Baier served as team captain in three of his four seasons and was named team MVP during the 2015-16 season. He was also a three-time recipient of the Rob Kenny Memorial Award for outstanding community service.
In a separate transaction, veteran forward Darryl Bootland has been placed on waivers. Bootland, 36, recorded eight points (3g-5a) and 95 penalty minutes in 21 games with Orlando. Additionally, defenseman Aleksandr Mikulovich has been placed on Injured Reserve.
The Solar Bears return home to face the Florida Everblades on Thursday, March 15 in a Wawa Sunshine Cup Series game at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center at 7 p.m. Thursday's game is also a Thirsty Thursday presented by Coors Light - fans can take advantage of $5 domestic draft beers during the game. Single-game tickets for the 2017-18 season are now on sale at the Amway Center box office and ticketmaster.com.
Images from this story
Orlando Solar Bears Defenseman Eric Baier
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 13, 2018
- Wings Victims of Brampton's Timely Outburst - Kalamazoo Wings
- Vladar Strong in Gladiators 4-2 Win over Idaho - Atlanta Gladiators
- Steven Whitney Named ECHL Player of the Week - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Prepare for Ft. Wayne and Announce Signing of Liljegren - Reading Royals
- Walleye Add Defenseman - Toledo Walleye
- Motte Returns to Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- ECHL Transactions - March 13 - ECHL
- Steelheads Weekly Report - Idaho Steelheads
- Defenseman Eric Baier to Lace Skates up Again for Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- South Carolina's Whitney Named Sher-Wood Athletics Group/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Nailers to Join Central Division in 2018-19 - Wheeling Nailers
- Admirals Add Four New Faces - Norfolk Admirals
- Steelheads Game Day Storylines at Atlanta - Idaho Steelheads
- Walleye Weekly - Toledo Walleye
- Rochester Recalls Johansson - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Tomas Sholl Named CCM ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Idaho Steelheads
- Flyers Loan G Anthony Stolarz to Royals - Reading Royals
- Idaho's Sholl Named CCM/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Mavericks to Return to Mountain Division in 2018-19 - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Board of Governors Approves Changes for 2018-19 Season - ECHL
- St. John's Joins the ECHL - Newfoundland Growlers
- Quad City Mallards to Cease Operations - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.