Steven Whitney Named ECHL Player of the Week
PRINCETON, N.J. - South Carolina Stingrays forward Steven Whitney has been named the Sher-Wood Athletics Group ECHL Player of the Week for March 5-11.
Whitney scored two goals and added seven assists for nine points in four games last week.
The 27-year-old recorded three assists in a 4-3 win at Greenville on Tuesday, had an assist in a 3-2 loss to the Swamp Rabbits on Friday, tallied a goal in a 5-0 victory over Atlanta on Saturday and notched a goal and three assists in a 6-3win against Jacksonville on Sunday.
A native of Reading, Massachusetts, Whitney leads the Stingrays with 49 points (17g-32a) in 50 games this season.
Whitney has tallied 120 points (48g-72a) in 141 career ECHL games with South Carolina, Norfolk and Florida while adding 27 points (13g-14a) in 73 career games in the American Hockey League with Norfolk.
Prior to turning pro, Whitney posted 128 points (55g-73a) in 160 career games at Boston College and captured NCAA National Championships with the Eagles in 2010 and 2012.
On behalf of Steven Whitney, a case of pucks will be donated to a South Carolina youth hockey organization by Sher-Wood Athletic Group, the exclusive puck supplier of the ECHL. Since beginning its sponsorship of the award in 2000-01, Sher-Wood Athletic Group has donated more than 37,000 pucks to youth hockey organizations in ECHL cities.
The Rays host the Idaho Steelheads in a two-game series this week on Thursday and Friday at the North Charleston Coliseum. Both games are scheduled to begin at 7:05 p.m.
Single-game tickets for all Stingrays home games during the 2017-18 season are on sale now at the North Charleston Coliseum Box Office and ticketmaster.com.
Group tickets for 10 or more fans are on sale now featuring discounted pricing and great benefits! For more information and to place an order call the Stingrays front office at 843-744-2248 or stop by 3300 W. Montague Ave. Suite A-200 during business hours.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 13, 2018
- Wings Victims of Brampton's Timely Outburst - Kalamazoo Wings
- Vladar Strong in Gladiators 4-2 Win over Idaho - Atlanta Gladiators
- Steven Whitney Named ECHL Player of the Week - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Prepare for Ft. Wayne and Announce Signing of Liljegren - Reading Royals
- Walleye Add Defenseman - Toledo Walleye
- Motte Returns to Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- ECHL Transactions - March 13 - ECHL
- Steelheads Weekly Report - Idaho Steelheads
- Defenseman Eric Baier to Lace Skates up Again for Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- South Carolina's Whitney Named Sher-Wood Athletics Group/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Nailers to Join Central Division in 2018-19 - Wheeling Nailers
- Admirals Add Four New Faces - Norfolk Admirals
- Steelheads Game Day Storylines at Atlanta - Idaho Steelheads
- Walleye Weekly - Toledo Walleye
- Rochester Recalls Johansson - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Tomas Sholl Named CCM ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Idaho Steelheads
- Flyers Loan G Anthony Stolarz to Royals - Reading Royals
- Idaho's Sholl Named CCM/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Mavericks to Return to Mountain Division in 2018-19 - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Board of Governors Approves Changes for 2018-19 Season - ECHL
- St. John's Joins the ECHL - Newfoundland Growlers
- Quad City Mallards to Cease Operations - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.