ECHL Board of Governors Approves Changes for 2018-19 Season
March 13, 2018 - ECHL (ECHL) News Release
PRINCETON, N.J. - The ECHL announced on Tuesday that the League's Board of Governors has approved the following changes for the 2018-19 Season.
Expansion Membership approved for St. John's
The Board has approved the Expansion Membership application for St. John's, Newfoundland to begin play in the 2018-19 Season. The St. John's Membership will be owned by Deacon Investments LTD, an entity controlled by Dean MacDonald. Glenn Stanford, the long-time President of the city's American Hockey League franchise, will oversee team operations.
"We are pleased to welcome St. John's to the ECHL," said ECHL Commissioner Brian McKenna. "The city has a long and proud hockey history and, along with the Maine Mariners, will be strong additions to our North Division."
"Both Glenn and I are ecstatic that professional hockey is coming back to St. John's. We believe that hockey fans in our city will welcome this great product," MacDonald said. "We look forward to working with St. John's Edge owners Irwin Simon and Rob Sabbagh, along with the City, to bring two amazing sports entities together. This strong partnership will elevate professional sports in Newfoundland and provide many nights of action-packed entertainment for the community."
Quad City withdraws Membership
The Quad City Mallards have withdrawn their Membership in the ECHL, effective at the conclusion of the 2017-18 Season.
League alignment for 2018-19 Season
The Board has approved the following conference and divisional alignment for the 2018-19 Season.
Adirondack Thunder, Brampton Beast, Maine Mariners, Manchester Monarchs, Reading Royals, St. Johns, Worcester Railers
Atlanta Gladiators, Florida Everblades, Greenville Swamp Rabbits, Jacksonville Icemen, Norfolk Admirals, Orlando Solar Bears, South Carolina Stingrays.
Cincinnati Cyclones, Fort Wayne Komets, Indy Fuel, Kalamazoo Wings, Toledo Walleye, Wheeling Nailers
Allen Americans, Idaho Steelheads, Kansas City Mavericks, Rapid City Rush, Tulsa Oilers, Utah Grizzlies, Wichita Thunder
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 13, 2018
- Wings Victims of Brampton's Timely Outburst - Kalamazoo Wings
- Vladar Strong in Gladiators 4-2 Win over Idaho - Atlanta Gladiators
- Steven Whitney Named ECHL Player of the Week - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Prepare for Ft. Wayne and Announce Signing of Liljegren - Reading Royals
- Walleye Add Defenseman - Toledo Walleye
- Motte Returns to Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- ECHL Transactions - March 13 - ECHL
- Steelheads Weekly Report - Idaho Steelheads
- Defenseman Eric Baier to Lace Skates up Again for Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- South Carolina's Whitney Named Sher-Wood Athletics Group/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Nailers to Join Central Division in 2018-19 - Wheeling Nailers
- Admirals Add Four New Faces - Norfolk Admirals
- Steelheads Game Day Storylines at Atlanta - Idaho Steelheads
- Walleye Weekly - Toledo Walleye
- Rochester Recalls Johansson - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Tomas Sholl Named CCM ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Idaho Steelheads
- Flyers Loan G Anthony Stolarz to Royals - Reading Royals
- Idaho's Sholl Named CCM/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Mavericks to Return to Mountain Division in 2018-19 - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Board of Governors Approves Changes for 2018-19 Season - ECHL
- St. John's Joins the ECHL - St. John's
- Quad City Mallards to Cease Operations - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.