Steelheads Game Day Storylines at Atlanta
The Steelheads make their first visit of the season to the eastern time zone on Tuesday with their first visit to Atlanta since January 2016, facing the Atlanta Gladiators at Infinite Energy Arena. The Steelheads earned back-to-back overtime wins against the Mavericks and have points in three straight entering Tuesday night's contest. The Gladiators have lost five of their last six and look to rebound from a 5-0 loss on Wednesday in South Carolina.
Steve McParland netted the overtime winner on Saturday night against Kansas City, beating goaltender Adam Carlson with 53 seconds remaining for a 3-2 win. McParland also scored in regulation, as did Brady Brassart. Goaltender Tomas Sholl made 31 saves on his way to earning his first Steelheads victory, and ultimately ECHL Goaltender of the Week honors.
On the Fringe...
As was the case over the last two weeks, the Steelheads face a team battling on the playoff bubble. The Gladiators' recent slide has placed them in the South Division's final playoff spot, still six points clear of fifth-place Norfolk. Tuesday's game will be Idaho's fourth consecutive contest against a team fighting to maintain its division's final playoff spot. The Steelheads can take another step towards securing their own post-season destiny, with their magic number currently sitting at nine points either gained by Idaho or lost by Tulsa.
Linemates Brady Brassart and Steve McParland picked up where they left off last weekend after McParland was returned to Idaho following his professional tryout with the Texas Stars. McParland earned his fourth multi-goal game of the season, raising his team-leading total for the season to 27. McParland has four goals and five points during a four-game points streak. Brassart carries a three-game goal-scoring streak into Tuesday's action, giving him five goals and 13 points in his last 11 outings.
The Gladiators lineup features several former Steelheads playing big roles. Derek Nesbitt has been a prominent member of the Gladiators for six seasons since 2005, playing in 313 games for the Gladiators and collecting 269 points. But Steelheads fans will remember Nesbitt from his one season in Idaho in 2006-07, when he notched 30 goals and 81 points in 66 games and helped lead the Steelheads to a Kelly Cup title. Branden Troock was a trade deadline acquisition for the Gladiators from Greenville and has appeared in three games for Atlanta, but he was a Steelhead for parts of three seasons from 2014 to 2017, appearing in 28 games for ten goals and 16 points.
Idaho Leaders Gladiators Leaders
Goals: McParland (27) Goals: Lane (27)
Assists: J. Dahl (36) Assists: Sparks (41)
Points: J. Dahl (56) Points: Sparks (53)
Plus/Minus: McParland (+22) Plus/Minus: Vandane (+17)
Power Play Goals: McParland (9) Power Play Goals: Vail/Nesbitt (4)
Goals-Against Average: Sholl (1.89) Goals-Against Average: Bonar (2.55)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 13, 2018
- Wings Victims of Brampton's Timely Outburst - Kalamazoo Wings
- Vladar Strong in Gladiators 4-2 Win over Idaho - Atlanta Gladiators
- Steven Whitney Named ECHL Player of the Week - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Prepare for Ft. Wayne and Announce Signing of Liljegren - Reading Royals
- Walleye Add Defenseman - Toledo Walleye
- Motte Returns to Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- ECHL Transactions - March 13 - ECHL
- Steelheads Weekly Report - Idaho Steelheads
- Defenseman Eric Baier to Lace Skates up Again for Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- South Carolina's Whitney Named Sher-Wood Athletics Group/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Nailers to Join Central Division in 2018-19 - Wheeling Nailers
- Admirals Add Four New Faces - Norfolk Admirals
- Steelheads Game Day Storylines at Atlanta - Idaho Steelheads
- Walleye Weekly - Toledo Walleye
- Rochester Recalls Johansson - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Tomas Sholl Named CCM ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Idaho Steelheads
- Flyers Loan G Anthony Stolarz to Royals - Reading Royals
- Idaho's Sholl Named CCM/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Mavericks to Return to Mountain Division in 2018-19 - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Board of Governors Approves Changes for 2018-19 Season - ECHL
- St. John's Joins the ECHL - Newfoundland Growlers
- Quad City Mallards to Cease Operations - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Kale Kessy Joins Steelheads
- Idaho Steelheads Add Rookie Defenseman Scott Dornbrock
- Brian McCormack Named Director of Broadcasting for the AHL's San Antonio Rampage
- Steelheads Acquire ECHL Rights to Justin Kea from Florida Everblades
- Alexander Dahl Returns to Steelheads for Second Season