Dalbec Homers Twice Again as WooSox Win Road Trip Finale
MOOSIC, P.A. - Bobby Dalbec hit two home runs for a second-straight game as the Worcester Red Sox (71-69) topped the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (77-63) by a 3-2 final in the series finale on Sunday afternoon at PNC Field.
The RailRiders scored the game's first run in the first inning on a Ronald Guzman double.
Dalbec's first home run of the game tied the game in the third inning.
It was a 1-1 game entering the top of the sixth, and the RailRiders turned to Yankee rehabber Scott Effross out of the bullpen. Dalbec slugged his second homer day to lead off the inning to put the WooSox on top 2-1 and gave Dalbec his second straight two-homer game.
Two batters later, Ronaldo Hernandez ripped a double down the left field line, and after a flyout, Ryan Fitzgerald doubled off the wall in right, scoring Hernandez to give Worcester a 3-1 lead.
The RailRiders threatened to tie, loading the bases with no one out in the bottom of the sixth against Jake Thompson. Worcester went to Brian Keller in relief, and he held SWB to one run on a Blake Perkins sac-fly.
Keller tossed 2.2 scoreless and hitless innings and struck out four.
WooSox starter Bryan Mata worked out of trouble multiple times in the early innings. Mata picked up his second Triple-A win. He allowed only one run and scattered nine hits over five innings while striking out seven without walking anyone.
A.J. Politi picked up his third Triple-A save by retiring all four batters he faced. Politi has not allowed a run over his last five appearances.
The WooSox will begin their final homestand of the season on Tuesday night when they welcome the Syracuse Mets to Polar Park. Connor Seabold is the scheduled starter for Worcester. Radio coverage begins at 6:25 p.m. on 98.9 Nash Icon, 100.1 FM The Pike and the rest of the WooSox Radio Network.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 18, 2022
- Knights Fall to Tides 9-1 in Sunday's Finale - Charlotte Knights
- Madris Mashes Bulls Past Stripers 4-2, First Place Lead Now 1.5 Games - Durham Bulls
- Memphis Wins Final Two Games to Take Split - Iowa Cubs
- Gomez, Parsons Give Redbirds' a Pair of Wins on Sunday - Memphis Redbirds
- IronPigs heading home with series loss - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Freaky First Frame Pushes Toledo's Streak to Ten - Toledo Mud Hens
- Mud Hens Best Indians in Series Finale, 7-4 - Indianapolis Indians
- Jacksonville Drops Series Finale in Nashville - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Rochester Red Wings Post-Game Notes - Rochester Red Wings
- Wings Power by IronPigs, 12-2 - Rochester Red Wings
- Sounds Take Series with Sunday Victory - Nashville Sounds
- Francisco Álvarez Drives in Career-High Five Runs as Syracuse Rallies Back and Beats Buffalo, 9-8, in Sunday Matinee - Syracuse Mets
- Stripers See Late Lead Slip Away Again vs. Durham - Gwinnett Stripers
- WorcesterHolds off RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bats Lose Series Finale in St. Paul, 3-1 - Louisville Bats
- Dalbec Homers Twice Again as WooSox Win Road Trip Finale - Worcester Red Sox
- Herd Hits Four Homers in 9-8 Loss to Mets - Buffalo Bisons
- Norfolk Stays Hot, Closes out Series with Win - Norfolk Tides
- Saints Pitching Dominates in 3-1 Victory over Bats - St. Paul Saints
- Omaha Drops Series Finale to Columbus - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Game Information: Toledo Mud Hens (79-60) vs. Indianapolis Indians (70-69) - Indianapolis Indians
- Tanner Banks Promoted to White Sox - Charlotte Knights
- Scott Effross joins RailRiders at PNC Field on a MLB rehab assignment - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - September 18 vs. Lehigh Valley - Rochester Red Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Worcester Red Sox Stories
- Tickets for Opening Day & April & May to Go on Sale Sat. 12/10 with Winter Wonderland at Polar Park
- WooSox Thankful for Partnership with Assumption; Recall Football and Baseball Feats on the Field
- WooSox Wrap up Month of Giving with Veterans Day and Thanksgiving Activities and Events
- WooSox Re-Launch "New WooSox Rewards," a Free Fan Loyalty Program
- Second Annual "Trick-Or-Treat at Polar Park" October 30 Attracts More Than 3,000 Fans