Dalbec, Brentz Homer in 5-4 Loss in 11 Innings
BUFFALO, N.Y. - Despite homers from Bobby Dalbec and Bryce Brentz, the Pawtucket Red Sox dropped the series finale to the Buffalo Bisons, who walked off with a 5-4 win in 11 innings Sunday afternoon at Sahlen Field.
Dalbec stung a two-run homer in the second inning and ripped a go-ahead RBI single into center in the eighth inning, while Brentz led off the top of the ninth inning with a majestic, game-tying solo blast to left. Buffalo (67-65), however, loaded the bases in both the 10th and 11th innings and salvaged the finale thanks to an RBI game-winner from Roemon Fields into the right-center gap. The PawSox (56-75), who did take two of three in the series, have now played in 40 games decided by one run.
Following their final road game of the season, the PawSox now return home to open a season-ending, nine-game homestand beginning Monday with the Yankees' Triple-A affiliate (Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders).
Dalbec (2-for-4, R, HR, 3 RBI, BB) paced the offense and has five homers and an .875 OPS in his first 21 Triple-A games. Rehabbing Red Sox infielder Michael Chavis went 0-for-3 and played another six innings at first base.
Mike Shawaryn started for the third time in his last five outings and tossed five innings of two-run ball without a walk. Colten Brewer (L, 1-2) gave up the unearned run in the 11th.
Buffalo starter, former first-round pick and top-15 prospect Nate Pearson fanned seven without a walk in six innings of two-run work. Bryan Baker (W, 1-1) punched out three in two hitless innings out of the bullpen.
With the score tied 2-2 after two, the game remained locked until the eighth inning when the PawSox snatched the lead - only for Buffalo to vault ahead 4-3 in the home half of the inning.
Following the series in Buffalo, the PawSox return to McCoy Stadium on Monday to open up a four-game series against the Yankees' Triple-A affiliate (Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders) at 7:05 p.m. Pawtucket left-hander Kyle Hart (9-6, 3.84) is scheduled to oppose RailRiders righty Nick Nelson (0-1, 4.91). Radio coverage on WHJJ (920 AM and 104.7 FM) and throughout the PawSox Radio Network begins with the pre-game show at 6:35 p.m.
The homestand runs Monday-Monday (August 26th through September 2nd) against the Yankees' and Phillies' Triple-A affiliates.
On August 27 (Tuesday), the PawSox will again play as the popular Osos Polares de Pawtucket. Then on August 29 (Thursday), the PawSox will host Team Poster and Autograph Night. The first 5,000 fans entering the stadium will receive a full-color PawSox Team Poster suitable for framing. From 5-6 PM before the game, fans will also be allowed on the field for pictures and autographs with their favorite players. On August 30 (Friday), the PawSox will take the field as the Pawtucket Fightin' Quahogs in a name change that pays homage to one of Rhode Island's most famous cuisines. The PawSox will wear caps and jerseys featuring the Fightin' Quahogs logo for the second game of that Friday doubleheader. On August 31 (Saturday), fans can enjoy post-game fireworks set to music from Motown. On September 1 (Sunday), fans can play catch on the field and then run the bases post-game on a Sunday FunDay.
During the homestretch, the PawSox will admit for free children 16 and under. They'll also let "kids run the show" at each game. Parents also have the option to partake of a new "End of Summer Family Bargain" in which they each receive a General Admission ticket, $2 in loaded value (good for food, beverage, or merchandise), and a PawSox cap, all for $12 (a $26 value).
Good tickets are available, and fans can visit the McCoy Stadium box office, which is open Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. through 5 p.m., and during all home games. Fans can also call (401) 724-7300 or log on to PawSox.com for tickets.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 25, 2019
- Wright Earns 10th Win as Stripers Top Durham, 6-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bulls Drop Series Finale, 6-2 - Durham Bulls
- Knights Fall to Tides 8-1 on Sunday - Charlotte Knights
- Mud Hens Take Series Finale over Clippers - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bats Take Game Three of Series against Indians, 3-2 - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Earn Walk-Off Win as Pearson Dazzles - Buffalo Bisons
- Bats Overpower Tribe Lead in Series Finale - Indianapolis Indians
- IronPigs finish home slate with win - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Dalbec, Brentz Homer in 5-4 Loss in 11 Innings - Pawtucket Red Sox
- RailRiders drop 2-of-3 in weekend series at Coca-Cola Park - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Salt Potatoes Plate 11 Runs in 11-3 Victory over Plates on Sunday Afternoon - Syracuse Mets
- Wings Lose 11-3 Sunday - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Notes: Indianapolis Indians (64-67) at Louisville Bats (53-78) - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Homestand Notes: August 25-29 - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (64-67) at Louisville Bats (53-78) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Pawtucket (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.