D.C. United Acquire Bill Hamid on a Permanent Transfer from FC Midtjylland
Loudoun County, Va. - D.C. United have acquired goalkeeper Bill Hamid on a permanent transfer from Danish top-tier side FC Midtjylland on a new three-year deal using Targeted Allocation Money (TAM). The goalkeeper spent the last year-and-a-half on loan with the Black-and-Red from the Danish side.
"Bringing Bill back to the club in 2020 and beyond was a top priority for us this offseason," Dave Kasper, D.C. United General Manager and VP of Soccer Operations, said. "Bill is a leader on and off the field and we're excited to bring him back to the club that he has worked tirelessly for over the last ten seasons. He is among the best goalkeepers in MLS and and he resonates with fans and the community, and we know he is going to be an important piece at the club for the foreseeable future."
In 2019, Hamid had a career season that culminated in an MLS Goalkeeper of the Year finalist nomination where he finished second overall in voting. The goalkeeper led the league in shutouts (14) and save percentage (77.3%) for goalkeepers who played more than 20 matches in the MLS Regular Season. Hamid was also third overall in saves (126) and was nominated four times to the MLS Team of the Week. The 29-year-old recorded 12 saves in the 0-0 draw against Toronto FC on May 15, 2019 to break his single-game save record at the club.
Hamid made club history as United's first Homegrown Player when he signed with the first team on Sept. 2, 2009, after joining the academy in 2007. He made his full debut the following season and became the youngest goalkeeper in MLS history to win a match when United defeated the Kansas City Wizards 2-1 on May 5, 2010 at just 19-years-old. Over the course of his 10-year tenure with United, Hamid set club records in starts for goalkeepers (231), minutes (20,589), wins (87), saves (819) and shutouts (68). In 2014, Hamid was nominated as an MLS All-Star, selected to the MLS Best XI and was named the MLS Goalkeeper of the Year.
The Annandale, Va., native made his United States Men's National Team debut in a 1-0 win over Venezuela on January 22, 2012. Hamid has earned six caps for the USMNT (three shutout performances) and was a part of the 18-man roster that won the Concacaf Gold Cup in 2013 and 2017.
Player: Abdul Bilal "Bill" Hamid
Birthplace: Annandale, VA
Weight: 225 lbs
Previous Club: FC Midtjylland
Transaction: United acquire Bill Hamid on a permanent transfer from FC Midtjylland
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 9, 2019
- Sounders FC Set to Face CD Olimpia in 2020 CONCACAF Champions League Round of 16 - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC to Face Club Leon from Mexico in 2020 CONCACAF Champions League - Los Angeles FC
- New York City FC to Open 2020 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League against AD San Carlos - New York City FC
- Atlanta United Draws FC Motagua in 2020 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Draw - Atlanta United FC
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: December 9, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Continues to be a Force for Good in Los Angeles Throughout the Holiday Season - Los Angeles FC
- New England Revolution Unveil $35 Million Revolution Training Center - New England Revolution
- MLS Announces 2019 Club Executive Award Winners - MLS
- Orlando City SC Signs Top Prospect, David Loera, to MLS Homegrown Contract - Orlando City SC
- Homegrown Striker Anthony Jackson-Hamel Signs New Impact Contract - Montreal Impact
- Real Salt Lake Signs Defender Alvin Jones - Real Salt Lake
- Garth Lagerwey Named 2019 MLS Sporting Executive of the Year - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Re-Sign Edgar Guerrero for 2020 eMLS Season - Portland Timbers
- Orlando City Acquires Colombian Midfielder Andres Perea on Loan - Orlando City SC
- Larry Freedman Named Doug Hamilton Executive of the Year by MLS - Los Angeles FC
- Atlanta United Finalizes Permanent Transfer of Emerson Hyndman - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Acquire Bill Hamid on a Permanent Transfer from FC Midtjylland - D.C. United
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- D.C. United Win 1-0 against Columbus Crew SC at Audi Field
- FanDuel Group and D.C. United Announce Exclusive, Long-Term Partnership
- D.C. United Win 2-1 against Atlanta United on the Road
- D.C. United Win 2-1 against FC Cincinnati on the Road
- D.C. United Draw the Philadelphia Union 2-2 at Audi Field