Atlanta United Finalizes Permanent Transfer of Emerson Hyndman
ATLANTA - Atlanta United announced today it has finalized the permanent transfer of midfielder Emerson Hyndman from English Premier League side AFC Bournemouth and agreed to a multiyear contract that will keep Hyndman with the club through the 2022 season.
"We're excited to bring back Emerson on a permanent deal," said Atlanta United Vice President and Technical Director Carlos Bocanegra. "He played an important role in our midfield after joining the team mid-season and will add competition and depth to our group as we prepare to play in various competitions in 2020."
The 23-year-old midfielder joined Atlanta during the Secondary Transfer Window in July and went on to make 15 league appearances and 10 starts, recording one goal and three assists in 983 minutes. Hyndman also made two appearances and one start in the 2019 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs in addition to helping the club win its first Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup and Campeones Cup titles. He tallied an assist in his club debut in Atlanta's 2-0 win over Saint Louis FC July 10 in the U.S. Open Cup and scored his first goal for the club in Atlanta's 2-0 win against Orlando City SC in the semifinal Aug. 6. Hyndman then scored the opening goal in Atlanta's 3-2 win against Club América in Campeones Cup on Aug. 14.
Atlanta originally signed Hyndman on loan from Bournemouth on July 1, 2019, after acquiring his Discovery Rights from FC Dallas in exchange for an international roster slot in 2019 and 2020, and $200,000 in General Allocation Money (GAM).
Born in Dallas, Texas, Hyndman joined the Fulham youth academy in 2011 at the age of 15. The midfielder worked his way through the Fulham youth ranks and made his professional debut for the club in the English Championship on August 9, 2014. Then in June of 2016, Hyndman signed with AFC Bournemouth on a free transfer. Hyndman joined Rangers in the Scottish Premiership in January of 2017 on loan where he made 13 appearances and scored four goals. Despite only joining the club in January, Hyndman was selected Rangers Young Player of the Year for the 2016-17 season.
He then went back to the Scottish Premiership and joined Hibernian on loan. He made 19 total appearances for the club, with 15 coming in the Premiership, two in League Cup and two in Europa League Qualifying. Hyndman returned to AFC Bournemouth in January 2019.
Hyndman has represented the United States from the U-17 level all the way up to the senior National Team. He made his USMNT debut at 18 years old when he was subbed on in a friendly against the Czech Republic on Sept. 3, 2014. The following summer, Hyndman captained the United States U-20 National Team in the 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup, where he played all five matches and scored two goals in group play.
Name: Emerson Hyndman
Birthdate: April 7, 1996 (age: 23)
Birthplace: Dallas, Texas
Transaction: Emerson Hyndman transferred to Atlanta United from AFC Bournemouth on Dec. 9, 2019.
2020 Atlanta United roster (as of Dec. 9, 2019)
Goalkeepers (2): Brad Guzan, Brendan Moore
Defenders (7): George Bello, George Campbell, Franco Escobar, Jon Gallagher*, Brooks Lennon, Leandro Gonzalez Pirez and Miles Robinson
Midfielders (8): Mo Adams, Ezequiel Barco, Andrew Carleton, Luiz Fernando, Julian Gressel, Emerson Hyndman, Jeff Larentowicz and Eric Remedi
Forwards (5): Lagos Kunga, Josef Martinez, Pity Martinez, Dion Pereira, Tito Villalba
* - on loan with Aberdeen
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 9, 2019
- Sounders FC Set to Face CD Olimpia in 2020 CONCACAF Champions League Round of 16 - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC to Face Club Leon from Mexico in 2020 CONCACAF Champions League - Los Angeles FC
- New York City FC to Open 2020 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League against AD San Carlos - New York City FC
- Atlanta United Draws FC Motagua in 2020 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Draw - Atlanta United FC
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: December 9, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Continues to be a Force for Good in Los Angeles Throughout the Holiday Season - Los Angeles FC
- New England Revolution Unveil $35 Million Revolution Training Center - New England Revolution
- MLS Announces 2019 Club Executive Award Winners - MLS
- Orlando City SC Signs Top Prospect, David Loera, to MLS Homegrown Contract - Orlando City SC
- Homegrown Striker Anthony Jackson-Hamel Signs New Impact Contract - Montreal Impact
- Real Salt Lake Signs Defender Alvin Jones - Real Salt Lake
- Garth Lagerwey Named 2019 MLS Sporting Executive of the Year - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Re-Sign Edgar Guerrero for 2020 eMLS Season - Portland Timbers
- Orlando City Acquires Colombian Midfielder Andres Perea on Loan - Orlando City SC
- Larry Freedman Named Doug Hamilton Executive of the Year by MLS - Los Angeles FC
- Atlanta United Finalizes Permanent Transfer of Emerson Hyndman - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Acquire Bill Hamid on a Permanent Transfer from FC Midtjylland - D.C. United
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Signs Veteran Defender Edgar Castillo
- Atlanta United Releases New and Improved App Ahead of 2020 Season
- Ezequiel Barco, Franco Escobar, Eric Remedi Become U.S. Permanent Residents, No Longer Occupy International Roster Spots
- Atlanta United Selects Philip Goodrum with No. 75 Pick in 2020 MLS SuperDraft
- Atlanta United Signs Fernando Meza