New York City FC to Open 2020 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League against AD San Carlos
NEW YORK, N.Y. - New York City FC will face Costa Rican club AD San Carlos across two legs in the Round of 16 of the 2020 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League following a draw conducted by the federation earlier tonight in Mexico City.
NYCFC qualified for the tournament for the first time in Club history after finishing the regular season on top of the Eastern Conference in 2019. NYCFC will open against AD San Carlos in Quesada, Costa Rica with the second leg in New York the following week.
Dates and times for the matches will be released in the coming days.
AD San Carlos qualified for the competition as the best ranked quarterfinalist in the 2019 Concacaf League. They won the Costa Rican Primera Division Clausura title for the first time in the 2018-2019 season.
Like NYCFC, it will be AD San Carlos' first appearance in the Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League.
NYCFC will look to become the first American team to win the competition since the format changed in 2008.
NYCFC Sporting Director David Lee said: "Qualifying for the Concacaf Champions League for the first time in Club history is an incredible milestone for New York City FC. The competition is an excellent opportunity to face the best teams from across our region and will provide us with invaluable experience in an international competition.
"We look forward to opening our 2020 season against AD San Carlos who we know will be a difficult opponent. Costa Rica is one of best countries in our region so we know they're going to have quality players and it's going to be a tough game.
"The tournament is also another opportunity for our fans to see a football competition outside of Major League Soccer. Everyone at the Club knows our supporters will provide us with a tremendous advantage in the home leg."
If NYCFC advance to the Quarterfinals, they will face the winner of the Tigres UANL (Mexico) and Alianza FC (El Salvador) Round of 16 matchup. The full 2020 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League draw is featured below.
Atlanta United FC (United States) vs FC Motagua (Honduras)
Club America (Mexico) vs Comunicaciones FC (Guatemala)
Cruz Azul (Mexico) vs Portmore United FC (Jamaica)
Los Angeles FC (United States) vs Club Leon (Mexico)
Tigres UANL (Mexico) vs Alianza FC (El Salvador)
New York City FC (United States) vs AD San Carlos (Costa Rica)
Seattle Sounders FC (United States) vs CD Olimpia (Honduras)
Montreal Impact (Canada) vs Deportivo Saprissa (Costa Rica)
Ticketing information for the Round of 16 home leg against AD San Carlos will be released at a later date.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 9, 2019
- Sounders FC Set to Face CD Olimpia in 2020 CONCACAF Champions League Round of 16 - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC to Face Club Leon from Mexico in 2020 CONCACAF Champions League - Los Angeles FC
- New York City FC to Open 2020 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League against AD San Carlos - New York City FC
- Atlanta United Draws FC Motagua in 2020 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Draw - Atlanta United FC
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: December 9, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Continues to be a Force for Good in Los Angeles Throughout the Holiday Season - Los Angeles FC
- New England Revolution Unveil $35 Million Revolution Training Center - New England Revolution
- MLS Announces 2019 Club Executive Award Winners - MLS
- Orlando City SC Signs Top Prospect, David Loera, to MLS Homegrown Contract - Orlando City SC
- Homegrown Striker Anthony Jackson-Hamel Signs New Impact Contract - Montreal Impact
- Real Salt Lake Signs Defender Alvin Jones - Real Salt Lake
- Garth Lagerwey Named 2019 MLS Sporting Executive of the Year - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Re-Sign Edgar Guerrero for 2020 eMLS Season - Portland Timbers
- Orlando City Acquires Colombian Midfielder Andres Perea on Loan - Orlando City SC
- Larry Freedman Named Doug Hamilton Executive of the Year by MLS - Los Angeles FC
- Atlanta United Finalizes Permanent Transfer of Emerson Hyndman - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Acquire Bill Hamid on a Permanent Transfer from FC Midtjylland - D.C. United
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York City FC Stories
- YES Network to Televise 26 New York City FC Matches in 2020
- Game Notes: AD San Carlos 3 - 5 New York City FC
- Red Bull Arena to Host Round of 16 Match in the Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League
- New York City FC Signs Defender Gudmundur Thorarinsson
- New York City FC Forward Ismael Tajouri-Shradi Agrees to New Contract