Orlando City SC Signs Top Prospect, David Loera, to MLS Homegrown Contract
ORLANDO, Fla. - Orlando City SC has signed former Orlando City Academy product and top collegiate prospect David Loera ahead of the 2020 Major League Soccer (MLS) season, becoming the sixth Homegrown player in Club history.
"We are thrilled to sign David to a multi-year Homegrown contract," said Orlando City EVP of Soccer Operations Luiz Muzzi. "It is imperative for us to continue to grow the talent here in Central Florida and to work toward creating a pathway from our Development Academy to the First Team and David is an example of just that. He possesses great vision and control on the ball and we are very excited about his addition to our roster."
Loera returns to Orlando following three seasons at North Carolina State University, where he thrived as one of the best attacking midfielders in collegiate play. As a junior, Loera scored five goals for the Wolfpack while adding three assists and was named to the All-ACC Second Team, earning All-ACC honors for the third-consecutive year. Prior to this season, he was named to the MAC Hermann Trophy Watch List and currently sits No. 13 on Top Drawer Soccer's Men's National Top-100 list, while sitting as the top player in the Atlantic Coast Conference.
In his three seasons at NC State, Loera started in all 57 of his appearances for the Wolfpack, scoring nine goals, while adding 15 assists. As a freshman he was named to the Top Drawer Soccer Freshman Best XI Second Team, College Soccer News All-Freshman Third Team and ACC All-Freshman Team, while earning First Team All-ACC, TopDrawerSoccer Best XI Third Team, and United Soccer Coaches All-South Region First Team honors following his sophomore campaign.
In 2016, Loera was called up to the United States U-19 Men's National Team.
The 21-year-old becomes the sixth Homegrown player in Club history and its second such signing in as many years following the addition of Benji Michel last offseason. Tommy Redding, Tyler Turner, Harrison Heath and Mason Stajduhar round out the list of the Lions' Homegrown signings throughout Club history.
TRANSACTION: Orlando City SC signs David Loera as a Homegrown Player.
Born: September 10, 1998 in Zaragoza, Spain
Hometown: Orlando, Fla.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 9, 2019
- Sounders FC Set to Face CD Olimpia in 2020 CONCACAF Champions League Round of 16 - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC to Face Club Leon from Mexico in 2020 CONCACAF Champions League - Los Angeles FC
- New York City FC to Open 2020 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League against AD San Carlos - New York City FC
- Atlanta United Draws FC Motagua in 2020 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Draw - Atlanta United FC
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: December 9, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Continues to be a Force for Good in Los Angeles Throughout the Holiday Season - Los Angeles FC
- New England Revolution Unveil $35 Million Revolution Training Center - New England Revolution
- MLS Announces 2019 Club Executive Award Winners - MLS
- Orlando City SC Signs Top Prospect, David Loera, to MLS Homegrown Contract - Orlando City SC
- Homegrown Striker Anthony Jackson-Hamel Signs New Impact Contract - Club de Foot Montreal
- Real Salt Lake Signs Defender Alvin Jones - Real Salt Lake
- Garth Lagerwey Named 2019 MLS Sporting Executive of the Year - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Re-Sign Edgar Guerrero for 2020 eMLS Season - Portland Timbers
- Orlando City Acquires Colombian Midfielder Andres Perea on Loan - Orlando City SC
- Larry Freedman Named Doug Hamilton Executive of the Year by MLS - Los Angeles FC
- Atlanta United Finalizes Permanent Transfer of Emerson Hyndman - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Acquire Bill Hamid on a Permanent Transfer from FC Midtjylland - D.C. United
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- Orlando City SC Acquires American Goalkeeper Brandon Austin
- Orlando City Selects Forward Derek Dodson in 2021 MLS SuperDraft
- Orlando City Acquires No. 8 Selection in 2021 MLS SuperDraft
- U.S Men's National Team to Open 2021 against Trinidad & Tobago on January 31 at Exploria Stadium
- Four City Homegrowns Join CF Pachuca for Offseason Training Stint