Condors Care-A-Van coming to a town near you this summer
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - The Bakersfield Condors, official ECHL affiliate of the Anaheim Ducks, have partnered up with Goodwill Industries for an expanded Condors Care-A-Van this summer. The Condors Care-A-Van will assist Goodwill in collecting donations and bring Condors hockey to the surrounding communities of Condorstown for the eighth consecutive summer.
The Condors plan on visiting nearly double the number of Kern County communities they visit this summer. The first Care-A-Van of the year will travel to the Tehachapi Parks and Recreation Adventure Camp on June 24. A trip to Frazier Park's Camp Condor has also been slated for July 31. The Care-A-Van is also in the planning stages for potential visits to the communities of Lake Isabella, Northwest Bakersfield, Ridgecrest, Shafter, Taft and Wasco.
"The Care-A-Van is a highly anticipated event, looked forward to by a number of Condors fans from outlying Kern communities," said Community Relations Manager Brian Marsh. "The Condors are thrilled to get to visit our fans who are always so excited when the Condors come to their town."
The Care-A-Van provides Condors fans the chance to get tips on how to shoot like the pros in the Condors inflatable slapshot. Kids will also get to meet one of the loveable Condors mascots, win Condors gear from the Condors prize wheel and get autographs from their favorite players, all in addition to facilitating Goodwill's mission of empowering lives.
These road trips will assist Goodwill in collecting donations that are sold to fund job training and other services to prepare people for job success. Fans are encouraged to bring gently-used clothing and other household goods. Everyone who makes a donation will receive a voucher good for a free ticket to a Condors home game during the 2008-09 season.
"We're so much more than thrift stores; every 56 seconds Goodwill puts someone back to work," said Director of Retail Services David Hessberger. "Our employment and job training programs benefit thousands of people, many with disabilities. It is our goal that every person in Kern, Kings and southern Tulare counties has the opportunity to achieve his or her fullest potential through the power of work."
In 2007, the Condors Care-A-Van worked with summer day camps, the Boys and Girls Club, Sheriff's Activities League and local schools in the communities of Tehachapi, Lake Isabella, Frazier Park, Wasco and Taft. If you know of a service- oriented organization or any community events that the Condors Care-A-Van can join, please contact the Condors Community Relations Department at 324- PUCK (7825).
Condors Nominated for Beautiful Bakersfield Award:
The Beautiful Bakersfield Awards Banquet, hosted by the Greater Bakersfield Chamber of Commerce, was held last Saturday night, and honored businesses, nonprofit groups and individuals for their outstanding contributions to improving the quality of life for local residents. The Bakersfield Condors, winners of the Group Humanitarian Crystal Camellia in 2000, 2006 and 2007, were once again nominated for the prestigious award.
Although the Condors didn't three-peat, we would like to congratulate this year's winner of the Group Humanitarian award, the local chapter of Project Linus, a non-profit organization that provides blankets to children who are seriously ill, traumatized, or otherwise in need.
The Condors worked with a number of Beautiful Bakersfield Award nominees and recipients during the past year and congratulate each organization for their endeavors to enrich and improve the community in which we live.
This Week in Condorstown:
Thursday, June 19: The Bakersfield Condors will be present at the Kern County Museum Fun Day from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. The Condors will be located in the Northwest corner of the expansive outside museum. Kids will be able to practice slapshots and wristers in the Condors inflatable slapshot, meet Condors mascot Baby Cal, win Condors memorabilia on the Condors prize wheel and get information about the Condors Kids Club, the coolest club in town!
Thursday, June 19: The Condors will be present at the final DBA Street Faire of the summer on the corner of 20th and Chester from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Kids can take a whack in the slapshot, take a spin on the Condors prize wheel for the chance to win Condors merchandize and rub shoulders with the Condors mascot, Baby Cal.
Thursday, June 19: Condors F Mike Hofstrand will be speaking to a group of youth from the Fit Kids Summer Program, beginning at 1:30 p.m. located at 9815 Hageman Road. Hofstrand will be speaking on the importance of physical activity and healthy eating while instilling confidence and motivation in the youngsters.
Notes from The Nest
Opening Night against the Ontario Reign is just 124 days away, on October 18. Season tickets and mini-plans, starting at just $42, are on sale now. Group outings and reservations for the Condors on- ice and VIP suites are now available as well. Click here to see further details, or stop by the Condors office or call 324-PUCK (7825) for remaining seat availability.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from June 16, 2008
- Condors Care-A-Van coming to a town near you this summer - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Announces Season-Ending Rosters - ECHL
- Falcons announce season ending roster - Fresno Falcons
- Aces announce season ending roster - Alaska Aces
- Grizzlies announce season ending roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Falcons Gear Up for Summer Blast - Fresno Falcons
- Condors announce season ending roster - Bakersfield Condors
- Salmon Kings announce season ending roster - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Kings acquire a RoadRunner - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Emerson named Exec of the year - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Checkers announce season ending roster - Charlotte Checkers
- Bombers' Season Ending Roster Announced - Dayton Bombers
- 2007-08 Season-Ending Roster Announced - Stockton Thunder
- Royals Announce Season-Ending Roster - Reading Royals
- Over 130 Team Representatives Attend ECHL Meetings - ECHL
- ECHL Mourns Loss Of Former Team Executive Milne - ECHL
- Royals Athletic Trainer and Equipment Manager Receive Awards - Reading Royals
- RoadRunners Trade Christie To Victoria - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Kelly Cup Photographs Available - ECHL
- Gladiators Garner Awards - Atlanta Gladiators
- Dave Piecuch Awarded ECHL's Top Ticket Executive - Stockton Thunder
- Emerson, Piecuch Named Ticket Executive Of The Year - ECHL
- Game-Worn Jerseys For Condors, Cyclones, Grizzlies, Royals, Storm, Wranglers Available - ECHL
- Ice Pilots Mourn Loss of Frank Milne - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Nailers Charity Steak Fry Nears - Wheeling Nailers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.