Aces announce season ending roster
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - The Alaska Aces and head coach Keith McCambridge have released their season-ending roster of 19 players.
Among those names submitted were forwards Matt Robinson, Michael Lambert, Barrett Heisten (who retired midway through the 2007-08 season), Kimbi Daniels, Vladimir Novak, Bo Cheeseman, Brett Hemingway, and Eric Neilson, as well as goaltender Derek Gustafson and defensemen Matt Shasby, Derick Martin, Lee Green, Ed Hill, Corbin Schmidt, Joey Hope, and Ryan Glenn. Rounding out the list were forward Olivier Filion and defensemen Felipe Larranaga and Peter Metcalf, all of whom have committed to play in Europe next season.
Season-ending rosters cannot include any players who did not sign an ECHL contract in 2007-08, so players under AHL agreements with Peoria or NHL contracts with St. Louis were not included on this list. Each team is entitled to reserve rights to a maximum of eight players from the list of 20 by extending a qualifying offer no later than July 1. Of the eight qualified players, no more than four can be "veterans" (260 regular season professional hockey games played as of the start of the 2008-09 season). Players on open qualifying offers cannot be traded. Teams are not required to extend a qualifying offer to players who sign a contract prior to July 1.
The qualifying offer must remain open for acceptance until August 1, at which time the qualifying offer becomes null and void and the team may sign the qualified player to any salary or may elect to take no further action. Teams that extend a valid qualifying offer to a non-veteran player shall retain the rights to that qualified player for one playing season. A team that extends a valid qualifying offer to a veteran player will retain the rights to that veteran until August 1.
After August 1, if the veteran player is not signed to a contract by the team, the veteran shall be deemed a restricted free agent and shall be entitled to seek and secure offers of employment from other ECHL teams. Restricted free agents may not be traded. When a restricted free agent receives a contract offer from a team other than the team with the player's rights and the restricted free agent wishes to accept the contract offer, the restricted free agent and the offering member must, within 24 hours, notify the ECHL, the team with the player's rights and the Professional Hockey Players' Association. The member with the player's rights shall have seven days after the date it is notified to exercise its right to match the contract offer. If a restricted free agent is not signed to either an offer sheet or a contract by an ECHL team by August 31, the player shall be deemed an unrestricted free agent.
Aces fans will get their first look at the 2008-09 squad when Alaska plays host to a pair of pre-season games against American Conference finalist South Carolina October 8 and 9 at 7:15 p.m. All games (pre-season and playoff included) will be broadcast live on the flagship home of Aces hockey, KFQD 750 AM, with coverage beginning 15 minutes prior to the opening face-off. The Alaska Aces open the 2008-09 regular season at home against Kelly Cup finalist Las Vegas Wranglers in a two-game set October 17 and 18 at Sullivan Arena.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from June 16, 2008
- Condors Care-A-Van coming to a town near you this summer - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Announces Season-Ending Rosters - ECHL
- Falcons announce season ending roster - Fresno Falcons
- Aces announce season ending roster - Alaska Aces
- Grizzlies announce season ending roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Falcons Gear Up for Summer Blast - Fresno Falcons
- Condors announce season ending roster - Bakersfield Condors
- Salmon Kings announce season ending roster - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Kings acquire a RoadRunner - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Emerson named Exec of the year - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Checkers announce season ending roster - Charlotte Checkers
- Bombers' Season Ending Roster Announced - Dayton Bombers
- 2007-08 Season-Ending Roster Announced - Stockton Thunder
- Royals Announce Season-Ending Roster - Reading Royals
- Over 130 Team Representatives Attend ECHL Meetings - ECHL
- ECHL Mourns Loss Of Former Team Executive Milne - ECHL
- Royals Athletic Trainer and Equipment Manager Receive Awards - Reading Royals
- RoadRunners Trade Christie To Victoria - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Kelly Cup Photographs Available - ECHL
- Gladiators Garner Awards - Atlanta Gladiators
- Dave Piecuch Awarded ECHL's Top Ticket Executive - Stockton Thunder
- Emerson, Piecuch Named Ticket Executive Of The Year - ECHL
- Game-Worn Jerseys For Condors, Cyclones, Grizzlies, Royals, Storm, Wranglers Available - ECHL
- Ice Pilots Mourn Loss of Frank Milne - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Nailers Charity Steak Fry Nears - Wheeling Nailers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.