Comets Score Five Unanswered Goals in the Third, Defeat Amerks 7-2
Utica, NY - Jonah Gadjovich and John Stevens both scored two goal in 7-2 win over the Rochester Americans. Jon Gilles made 24 saves in net and got the win.
The Comets controlled the pace early on forcing Rochester goaltender, Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen to make some big saves straight out of the gate. John Stevens opened the scoring at the 15:21 mark to give the Comets an early 1-0 lead.
The Americans would not find the back of the net until early in the second period off of a John Fogarty powerplay goal at 17:16. The Comets would regain the lead in the second half of the period, when Will Lockwood fed a beautiful pass to John Stevens who tallied his second goal of the night at 7:24. Minutes later Fogarty flew down the right wall and ripped a shot over the shoulder of Gilles to knot things up at 2-2.
Jonah Gadjovich ripped a one timer to put Utica up 3-2 at 14:26 of the third period. Josh Teves would double the lead with his first goal of the season at 12:45. Vincent Arseneau tacked on another goal to the Comets lead on his first goal of the season at 9:56. With Utica on the powerplay, Sven Baertschi ripped a puck on net to give the Comets at 6-2 lead with 4:07 remaining. The goal was his first of the season. Just 54 seconds later Gadjovich would score his second of the night to extend Utica's lead 7-2.
Both teams scored a goal on the power play. Utica outshot Rochester 39-26. The Comets will be on the road tomorrow night when they face the Syracuse Crunch. The last time the two teams met the Comets defeat the Crunch in their home opener 5-2.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 26, 2021
- Iowa Comes from Behind to Beat Texas 5-3 - Iowa Wild
- Fogarty Scores Twice in 7-2 Loss to Comets - Rochester Americans
- Clark and Leason Score Twice, Bears Double up Devils in Newark - Hershey Bears
- Comets Score Five Unanswered Goals in the Third, Defeat Amerks 7-2 - Utica Comets
- Bears Defeat Devils, 6-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Wolves' Streak Ends at 7 - Chicago Wolves
- Phantoms Take First Loss of 2021 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Dominant in Opening Week Finale against Toronto - Stockton Heat
- Xavier Ouellet: the Helping Captain - Laval Rocket
- Monsters Host BHC Night & Cavs Day in Weekend Homestand Versus IceHogs - Cleveland Monsters
- Syracuse Crunch Recall Defenseman Devante Stephens from Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Monsters Announce Three Roster Moves - Cleveland Monsters
- San Diego Gulls and California Coast Credit Union to Host Book and Learning Supply Drive Benefitting Words Alive - San Diego Gulls
- Sushko Loaned to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Seek Series Split Friday against Toronto - Stockton Heat
- Kaiden Guhle and Gianni Fairbrother to Return to Junior Teams - Laval Rocket
- Sherwood, Miska Recalled by Colorado Avalanche - Colorado Eagles
- Game Preview: Bears at Devils, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.