Wolves' Streak Ends at 7
GRAND RAPIDS, MICHIGAN - Forward Riley Barber scored a pair of goals and Kevin Boyle posted 22 saves as the Grand Rapids Griffins earned a 4-1 win over the Chicago Wolves on Friday night at Van Andel Arena.
Center Rem Pitlick produced his American Hockey League-leading seventh goal for the Wolves (7-1-0-0), who became the final AHL team to suffer a loss this season. The Griffins (4-2-0-0) won their fourth in a row since dropping two to Chicago.
Grand Rapids took an early lead when Barber slid the puck past Antoine Bibeau 3:59 into the game. Barber's score marked the first time in more than five full games - 338 minutes and 48 seconds, to be exact - since the Wolves last trailed.
Chicago went into the locker room facing a deficit for the first time all season - then Grand Rapids quickly dug the hole deeper in the second period. Dominik Shine whacked a rebound out of mid-air for a goal 48 seconds into the period, then Barber made it 3-0 at 2:02 of the second.
Pitlick triggered a rally by swatting home a rebound 42 seconds into the third to cut the margin to 3-1. Defenseman Frederic Allard scalded a shot from the point that Boyle rejected, but Pitlick claimed the rebound in the slot and knocked it home.
The Wolves developed several more chances during the third period, but the Griffins held strong until Givani Smith added an insurance goal with 1:53 to play.
Bibeau (1-1-0), seeing his first action since Opening Night on Feb. 5, finished with 31 saves.
The Wolves have an immediate chance to get even as they host the Griffins 3 p.m. Sunday at the Chicago Wolves Training Facility in Hoffman Estates.
While the state of Illinois' safety protocols don't allow fans to attend home games this season, fans can be a part of the action with a personalized cutout in the Chicago Wolves Fan Gallery, presented by Hefty. To purchase yours, visit ChicagoWolvesStore.com or call 1-800-THE-WOLVES.
GRIFFINS 4, WOLVES 1
Chicago 0 0 1 -- 1
Grand Rapids 1 2 1 -- 4
First Period-1, Grand Rapids, Barber 3 (Rasmussen, Hirose), 3:59.
Penalties-Barber, Grand Rapids (hooking), 1:01; Mattheos, Chicago (slashing), 9:01; Lindstrom, Grand Rapids (tripping), 12:27.
Second Period-2, Grand Rapids, Shine 1 (Elson, Turgeon), 0:44; 3, Grand Rapids, Barber 4 (Hirose, Cholowski), 2:02.
Penalties-Smith, Grand Rapids (hooking), 6:51; McIlrath, Grand Rapids (boarding), 8:36; Rees, Chicago (slashing), 10:02; Shine, Grand Rapids (slashing), 13:18.
Third Period-4, Chicago, Pitlick 7 (Richard, Allard), 0:48; 5, Grand Rapids, Smith 1 (), 18:07.
Penalties-Warsofsky, Chicago (slashing), 4:17; Davies, Chicago (holding), 16:02.
Shots on goal-Chicago 7-8-8-23; Grand Rapids 9-14-12-35. Power plays-Chicago 0-5; Grand Rapids 0-4. Goalies-Chicago, Bibeau (31-35); Grand Rapids, Boyle (22-23). Referees-Shaun Davis and Jonathon Sitarski. Linesmen-Justin Cornell and Logan Wetekamp.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 26, 2021
- Iowa Comes from Behind to Beat Texas 5-3 - Iowa Wild
- Fogarty Scores Twice in 7-2 Loss to Comets - Rochester Americans
- Clark and Leason Score Twice, Bears Double up Devils in Newark - Hershey Bears
- Comets Score Five Unanswered Goals in the Third, Defeat Amerks 7-2 - Utica Comets
- Bears Defeat Devils, 6-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Wolves' Streak Ends at 7 - Chicago Wolves
- Phantoms Take First Loss of 2021 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Dominant in Opening Week Finale against Toronto - Stockton Heat
- Xavier Ouellet: the Helping Captain - Laval Rocket
- Monsters Host BHC Night & Cavs Day in Weekend Homestand Versus IceHogs - Cleveland Monsters
- Syracuse Crunch Recall Defenseman Devante Stephens from Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Monsters Announce Three Roster Moves - Cleveland Monsters
- San Diego Gulls and California Coast Credit Union to Host Book and Learning Supply Drive Benefitting Words Alive - San Diego Gulls
- Sushko Loaned to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Seek Series Split Friday against Toronto - Stockton Heat
- Kaiden Guhle and Gianni Fairbrother to Return to Junior Teams - Laval Rocket
- Sherwood, Miska Recalled by Colorado Avalanche - Colorado Eagles
- Game Preview: Bears at Devils, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.