Monsters Host BHC Night & Cavs Day in Weekend Homestand Versus IceHogs
CLEVELAND - The Cleveland Monsters are proud to announce their second annual Black Heritage Celebration on Saturday, February 27th at 7:00 p.m. followed by Cavs Day on Sunday, February 28th at 1:00 p.m. when the Rockford IceHogs visit Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse. Saturday's game marks the culmination of month-long Black Heritage Celebration by the Monsters organization which included both local and national initiatives.
As part of February's Black Heritage Celebration, the Cleveland Monsters proudly partnered with filmmaker Damon Kwame Mason to provide a free at-home screening opportunity for the public of Soul on Ice: Past, Present, and Future. Mason's movie presents and retells the virtually unknown contributions of black athletes in ice hockey. In addition to the free at-home screening, the Monsters hosted a Time To Talk - Black Athletes in Hockey discussion with Mason, Jeff Scott, Vice President of Community Development and Growth with the NHL, and Blake Bolden, AHL Scout/Growth and Inclusion Specialist with the NHL's Los Angeles Kings. Moderated by Kevin Clayton, Vice President of Diversity, Inclusion, and Engagement for the Cavaliers organization, the discussion was made available through the team's official page, social channels, and to all who registered for the screening.
Additionally, the Monsters Learning and Recreation Center at Halloran Park Skating Rink was unveiled prior to Saturday's game. Designed to reflect the look and feel of the Monsters' home ice, this new addition to Halloran Park is emblematic of the longstanding partnership between the Cleveland Monsters and the only ice rink publicly owned and operated by the City of Cleveland. The multi-use facility will host after-school programming, learning assistance resources, and recreational activities on Cleveland's West Side.
The Monsters BHC game will feature highlights from the events above and pay tribute to other trailblazers in the hockey world. Saturday's game also marks a Suds 'N Seltzer Saturday with $3 select 12oz beers, and Truly Hard Seltzers.
Sunday's matinee will feature a special twist as a Cavs Day Game with appearaces from Cavs In-Arena Host Ahmaad Crump and Cavs-themed game presentation. The 1:00 p.m. puck drop will also be the first Monsters Family Sunday of the season.
The Monsters Team Shop will offer a special Item of the Game featuring a $20 Center Ice Tee on Saturday and a free pair of Monsters Staredown Socks with $50 Monsters Purchase on Sunday. The Team Shop will also offer free domestic shipping on orders over $25 at MonstersTeamShop.com from Friday until Sunday night.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 26, 2021
- Iowa Comes from Behind to Beat Texas 5-3 - Iowa Wild
- Fogarty Scores Twice in 7-2 Loss to Comets - Rochester Americans
- Clark and Leason Score Twice, Bears Double up Devils in Newark - Hershey Bears
- Comets Score Five Unanswered Goals in the Third, Defeat Amerks 7-2 - Utica Comets
- Bears Defeat Devils, 6-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Wolves' Streak Ends at 7 - Chicago Wolves
- Phantoms Take First Loss of 2021 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Dominant in Opening Week Finale against Toronto - Stockton Heat
- Xavier Ouellet: the Helping Captain - Laval Rocket
- Monsters Host BHC Night & Cavs Day in Weekend Homestand Versus IceHogs - Cleveland Monsters
- Syracuse Crunch Recall Defenseman Devante Stephens from Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Monsters Announce Three Roster Moves - Cleveland Monsters
- San Diego Gulls and California Coast Credit Union to Host Book and Learning Supply Drive Benefitting Words Alive - San Diego Gulls
- Sushko Loaned to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Seek Series Split Friday against Toronto - Stockton Heat
- Kaiden Guhle and Gianni Fairbrother to Return to Junior Teams - Laval Rocket
- Sherwood, Miska Recalled by Colorado Avalanche - Colorado Eagles
- Game Preview: Bears at Devils, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Monsters Sign Defenseman Will Lochead to Pro Tryout Contract
- Cleveland Battles Back to Lock in 5-3 Win over Rochester
- American Hockey League Announces Schedule Changes
- Monsters Announce First-Ever Spanish-Language Broadcast for April 24th Grow the Game Night Versus Chicago Wolves
- Defenseman Brandon Crawley Loaned to Monsters by New York Rangers