Bears Defeat Devils, 6-3
NEWARK - Jesper Boqvist and Ben Street each had two assists as the Binghamton Devils fell to the visiting Hershey Bears, 6-3, inside RWJBarnabas Health Hockey House on Friday night.
Hershey took a 1-0 lead courtesy of Garrett Pilon's first goal of the year. After the Devils turned the puck over just inside the defensive zone blue line, Pilon took the puck at the bottom of the left circle and lifted it through his legs over the shoulder of goaltender Gilles Senn. Pilon's goal came 13:43 into the game with assists from Mike Sgarbossa and Joe Snively and the Devils trailed by one after one.
Nolan Foote tied the game early in the second period with his second goal of the year. During a scramble in front of Bears goaltender Ilya Samsonov, Foote found the loose puck and lifted it in to tie the game at one goal apiece. The goal was Foote's second of the year with assists from Ben Street and Matt Tennyson at the 1:31 mark.
Just a few minutes later, Brett Leason lifted a backhand shot over the left shoulder of Senn to give the Bears another one-goal lead. The goal was Leason's second of the year from Cameron Schilling at 4:04 of the second.
Kody Clark scored his first goal of the night as players tried to locate the puck in front of the Devils crease. Matt Moulson had a touch on the puck and Clark found a hole to give the Bears a 3-1 lead just 6:21 into the second. Assists on Clarke's second of the year were credited to Moulson and Will Graber.
Hershey moved out to a 4-1 lead as Alex Johnsson-Fjallby ripped a shot from the left-wing circle over the shoulder of Senn at 9:18 for the three-goal lead. The goal was Johnsson-Fjallby's first point of the year with assists from Connor McMichael and Paul LaDue.
Clark picked up his second goal of the night as Rob O'Gara's shot from the point deflected off him and over the left shoulder of Senn to give the Bears a 5-1 lead heading into the third period.
Binghamton scored twice to pull within two goals in the third frame. Nick Merkley fired in his second of the season as a power play came to an end to decrease the deficit to 5-2. The goal came at 1:04 of the final period with assists going to Jesper Boqvist and Street.
Boqvist helped set up Marian Studenic with a great pass to get the Devils within two goals at 6:50 of the third. Behind the net, Boqvist spun and send a backhand pass to Studenic and he snapped it by the right side of Samsonov for his first of the year. The Devils trailed 5-3 as assists were given to Boqvist and David Quenneville.
Leason added an empty-net goal late in the game and the Bears sealed a 6-3 victory. Senn stopped 26 of 31 in the loss and Samsonov denied 25 of 28 in the win.
The Devils return to the ice tomorrow in Hershey, PA to take on the Bears at Giant Center at 4:00 p.m.
Stay current with the latest team news by visiting www.binghamtondevils.com or downloading the team's Mobile App for Apple and Android devices. Tune in to every game this season LIVE on Fox Sports 1430 Binghamton and AHLTV. Follow the Devils all year long on Facebook (/bingdevils), Twitter (@BingDevils), and Instagram (@bingdevils).
Images from this story
Marian Studenic of the Binghamton Devils
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 26, 2021
- Iowa Comes from Behind to Beat Texas 5-3 - Iowa Wild
- Fogarty Scores Twice in 7-2 Loss to Comets - Rochester Americans
- Clark and Leason Score Twice, Bears Double up Devils in Newark - Hershey Bears
- Comets Score Five Unanswered Goals in the Third, Defeat Amerks 7-2 - Utica Comets
- Bears Defeat Devils, 6-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Wolves' Streak Ends at 7 - Chicago Wolves
- Phantoms Take First Loss of 2021 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Dominant in Opening Week Finale against Toronto - Stockton Heat
- Xavier Ouellet: the Helping Captain - Laval Rocket
- Monsters Host BHC Night & Cavs Day in Weekend Homestand Versus IceHogs - Cleveland Monsters
- Syracuse Crunch Recall Defenseman Devante Stephens from Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Monsters Announce Three Roster Moves - Cleveland Monsters
- San Diego Gulls and California Coast Credit Union to Host Book and Learning Supply Drive Benefitting Words Alive - San Diego Gulls
- Sushko Loaned to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Seek Series Split Friday against Toronto - Stockton Heat
- Kaiden Guhle and Gianni Fairbrother to Return to Junior Teams - Laval Rocket
- Sherwood, Miska Recalled by Colorado Avalanche - Colorado Eagles
- Game Preview: Bears at Devils, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.