Colorado's Rally Falls Short in 4-2 Loss to Stockton
LOVELAND, CO. - The Colorado Eagles pulled within one goal on two different occasions in the third period, but it would not be enough as the Stockton Heat topped the Eagles, 4-2 on Saturday. Colorado defenseman Calle Rosen notched a goal and an assist, while forward T.J. Tynan collected a pair of assists in the contest. Eagles goalie Adam Werner suffered the loss in net, surrendering three goals on 27 shots.
The Heat would jump on the board 13:33 into the first period, as a power play set up forward Matthew Phillips to snap a shot from the bottom of the left circle, beating Werner and giving Stockton a 1-0 edge.
Still trailing 1-0 as the puck dropped on the second period, the hole would become deeper for the Eagles when Heat defenseman Zac Leslie sent a shot from the top of the right-wing circle through traffic and into the back of the net, stretching Stockton's advantage to 2-0 just 2:59 into the middle frame. Colorado would kill off a pair of Heat power plays in the second period, including a 5-minute major and the two teams would head to the second intermission with Stockton still in control, 2-0.
The third period would see the Eagles slice the deficit in half when Rosen blasted a shot from the right circle past Heat goaltender Artyom Zagidulin to make it a 2-1 Stockton lead at the 9:06 mark of the period.
The advantage would bounce back to a pair, as forward Buddy Robinson deflected a shot from the blue line between the leg pads of Werner to put the Heat on top, 3-1 with 5:09 left to play in the contest.
Colorado would pull Werner in favor of the extra attacker with 3:59 remaining and the move would pay off when forward Michael Joly collected a loose puck on top of the crease and lifted the puck over the shoulder of Zagidulin, trimming Stockton's advantage to 3-2 with 1:01 still remaining on the clock.
With Werner still on the bench, the Heat would ice the game with an empty-netter from forward Byron Froese to push Stockton to a 4-2 lead with just 14 seconds left in regulation.
The Eagles finished the night going 1-for-4 on the power play, while the Heat went 1-for-8 on the man-advantage. Colorado outshot Stockton by a final count of 33-28.
Colorado returns to action when the Eagles travel to take on the Ontario Reign on Friday, October 11th at 8:00pm MT.
Tickets for all regular season contests are on sale now and can be purchased at ColoradoEagles.com or by calling (970) 686-SHOT.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 6, 2019
- P-Bruins Top Hershey Bears in Overtime, 2-1 - Providence Bruins
- Wild Sink Admirals Sunday Afternoon in 5-2 Win - Iowa Wild
- Nastasiuk Leads Comeback Win over Roadrunners - San Antonio Rampage
- Bears Record Standings Point in Overtime Loss to Bruins - Hershey Bears
- Admirals Fall to Wild in Season Opener - Milwaukee Admirals
- Sound Tigers Get Point in OT Loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- T-Birds Offense Can't Overcome Defending Champion Checkers - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Checkers Snag First Win on Road in Springfield - Charlotte Checkers
- Devils Sign Joe Morrow to Two-Way Contract - Binghamton Devils
- Defender Martin Fehervary Assigned to Bears - Hershey Bears
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Bruins, 5 PM - Hershey Bears
- Kempe Lifts Reign in Overtime - Ontario Reign
- Condors Claw Back for a Point with Third Period Comeback - Bakersfield Condors
- Moose Grab First Win, 5-3 - Manitoba Moose
- Colorado's Rally Falls Short in 4-2 Loss to Stockton - Colorado Eagles
- Zagidulin Strong as Heat Close out Opening Weekend Sweep - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- Pot of Gold Fundraiser Begins with $30,000 Donation to Three-Year Old Cancer Patient
- Eagles Re-Sign Wegwerth to AHL Two-Way Contract
- Colorado Eagles Re-Sign Davis, Tischke
- Eagles Ink Pair of Defensemen in Abt, Scheid
- Pot of Gold Fundraiser Kicks off with Jersey Auction