Chucks Prevail in Pitching Duel over Rockford
WAUSAU, WI - Saturday night's crowd at Athletic Park was in for a treat, as the Wisconsin Woodchuck pitchers combined for just one run and three hits in a 2-1 win over the Rockford Rivets.
The Chucks needed to escape one big jam in the top of the ninth, where they took a two-run lead into the frame before allowing baserunners on second and third base with just a single out.
But a fielder's choice and flyout later, the Woodchucks clinched the first tilt of a two-game series.
Starting pitcher Ryan Lobus earned the win and improved his record to 1-1. Geo Camfield pitched the eighth inning before Thomas Kane finished the evening in front of 1,694 fans.
The Chucks go back into first place in the Great Lakes West Division with the win, improving to 11-7.
The Woodchucks opened the game with a run in the bottom of the second, with Griffin Lockwood-Powell scoring Kevin Kilpatrick on a sacrifice fly after a CJ Kayfus' ground-rule double.
Kayfus drove in his University of Miami teammate Jose Izarra in the fifth with a bases-loaded single to make it 2-0.
The Chucks played error-free baseball in the win.
Lobus went seven scoreless innings, allowing no runs and just a single hit. He struck out five batters while walking just one Saturday night.
Camfield pitched a scoreless eighth inning before Kane allowed an unearned run in the ninth, picking up the save.
Kayfus was 2-4 with a double and an RBI.
The Woodchucks conclude their homestead with a 1:05 p.m. first pitch against Rockford on Sunday. For the Father's Day matchup, enter to win tickets and a car care special with the Ultimate Dad Contest presented by Olson Tire & Auto. One grand prize winner will be announced at the game and will win a set of new tires! It's also Sunday Dinner Trig's Family Four Pack - buy 4 reserved seats, get 4 hot dogs, & 4 bottles of soda for $44!
For tickets, call us at 715.845.5055, stop by our front office, or visit woodchucks.com.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 19, 2021
- Late Inning Circus Delivers Huskies' Loss - Duluth Huskies
- Stingers Win Second Straight - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters Snap Winning Streak, in Walk-Off Loss - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Simington Sinks the Rafters, Pit Spitters Win Fourth Straight - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Rox Offense Explodes Late to Win Third in a Row - St. Cloud Rox
- Mallards Drop First of Four against Dock Spiders - Madison Mallards
- Booyah Fall in Kokomo - Green Bay Booyah
- Chucks Prevail in Pitching Duel over Rockford - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Express Lose Two Games to the Larks - Eau Claire Express
- Mallards Look to Keep Bats Hot as They Host Fond Du Lac - Madison Mallards
- Rivets Can't Hang on in Late Innings at Lakeshore - Rockford Rivets
- Booyah Head East - Green Bay Booyah
- Stingers Edge Lumbermen 3-1 - La Crosse Loggers
- Josh Nicoloff, Free Passes Get the Best of Growlers in 11-7 Loss - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Honkers Blanked in Series Finale with St. Cloud - Rochester Honkers
- Kingfish Fall to Kokomo in Series Finale on Walk Off - Kenosha Kingfish
- Mallards Hang on Late, Win 10-8 to Split Series with Woodchucks - Madison Mallards
- Stingers Win 3-1 in La Crosse - Willmar Stingers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.