Chavany Willis scores first Steel FC goal in loss
MATTHEWS, N.C. - Bethlehem Steel saw their three-match unbeaten streak snapped in a 2-1 loss to Charlotte Independence Tuesday night. Steel FC midfielder Chavany Willis notched his first USL Championship goal in the loss.
Charlotte Independence started the match on the front foot, pressuring Steel FC from the first whistle. Independence midfielder Mark Hill took a free kick in the 29th minute that clanged off the crossbar and fell to the feet of defender Andrew Gutman who knocked it home for Charlotte's first goal of the match. The Independence increased their lead with a 72nd-minute goal when midfielder Alex MartÃ-nez found forward Jorge Herrera on a cross. Herrera got to it in the air and headed it over an outstretched Carlos Miguel Coronel.
The Steel were able to get one back and put the pressure on at the end of the match, when midfielder Chavany Willis scored his first-career goal for the club in the 80th minute. Willis collected a cross from Michee Ngalina that bounced off a Charlotte defender and powered it off the back of a Charlotte man and into the net for the Steel's first and only goal in the match. Midfielder and Steel veteran James Chambers hit a late half-volley that troubled the Independence's goalkeeper and forced a diving save, but the Charlotte man did well and kept the shot out. The final whistle blew with the score at 2-1 in favor of the home side.
Philadelphia Union midfielder Derrick Jones earned his first start of 2019 for Steel FC in the match, joining fellow Union players Carlos Miguel Coronel, Anthony Fontana, Olivier Mbaizo and Matt Real in the lineup. Coronel made two saves in the match, while Mbaizo and Real caused trouble down the wings towards the end of the match from their outside back positions, giving the Steel chances to equalize late.
Bethlehem Steel FC next hosts Indy Eleven at Talen Energy Stadium on Saturday, April 20 (4:00 p.m. ET | Talen Energy Stadium | Chester, Pa. | ESPN+) as part of a double-header with Philadelphia Union.
Bethlehem Steel FC 1 - Charlotte Independence 2
Sportsplex at Matthews (Matthews, N.C.)
Tuesday, April 16, 2019
TODAY'S MATCH INFO:
Venue: Sportsplex at Matthews (Matthews, N.C.)
Referee: Elvis Osmanovic
Assistant Referees: CJ Morgante, Benjamin Wooten
Fourth Official: Eric Barnes
Weather: 72 degrees and clear
CLT - Andrew Gutman (Unassisted) 29'
CLT - Jorge Herrera (Alex Martínez) 72'
BST - Chavany Willis (Unassisted) 80'
BST - Cole Turner (caution) 57'
CLT - Andrew Gutman (caution) 66'
BST - Matt Real (caution) 84'
BST - Ben Ofeimu (caution) 85'
Bethlehem Steel FC: Carlos Miguel Coronel; Matt Real ©, Ben Ofeimu, Olivier Mbaizo, Issa Rayyan (Cole Turner 46'); Derrick Jones, Chavany Willis; Anthony Fontana (James Chambers 64'), Jack de Vries (Zach Zandi 57'); Faris, Michee Ngalina
Substitutes not used: Kris Shakes; Shanyder Borgelin, Walter Cortés, Saed Díaz
Charlotte Independence: Curtis Anderson; Andrew Gutman, Steven Thicot, Hugh Roberts, Joel Johnson; Jake Areman, Mark Hill (Abdoulie Mansally 85'), Afrim Taku, Alex Martínez; Jorge Herrera ©, Niki Jackson
Substitutes not used: Brandon Miller; Kevan George, Cabwey Mereves Kivutuka, Enzo Martínez, Dominic Oduro
Steel FC midfielder Chavany Willis scored his first-career goal for Steel FC in the 80th minute of tonight's match. Willis was able to pick up a cross that ricocheted off a Charlotte defender and finish for his first goal.
Five Philadelphia Union players started in the match tonight for Bethlehem Steel FC, including midfielder Derrick Jones who made his first start of 2019 for the club. Defender Matt Real made his return to the lineup after serving his one-match suspension and joined fellow defender Olivier Mbaizo on the back line of the Steel. Carlos Miguel Coronel and Anthony Fontana were also included in the Steel starting XI.
Philadelphia Union defender Matt Real served as team captain in this match for Steel FC, playing 90 minutes, making one tackle and earning three fouls. Real also ended the night with a passing accuracy of 86.1%, the highest of any Steel FC starter in tonight's match.
Goalkeeper Carlos Miguel Coronel, on loan from Philadelphia Union, made his second-straight start for Steel FC and added two more saves to his 2019 USL Championship total.
Steel FC plays next on Saturday, April 20 when they host Indy Eleven at Talen Energy Stadium (4:00 p.m. ET | Chester, Pa. | ESPN+).
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from April 17, 2019
- Indy Eleven to Change Three Dates on 2019 USL Championship Schedule - Indy Eleven
- Republic FC Will Host Stanford University in Exhibition Match on Saturday - Sacramento Republic FC
- Memphis 901 FC to Play in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup in May - Memphis 901 FC
- US Soccer Releases Second Round Pairings for 2019 Lamar Hunt US Open Cup - Birmingham Legion FC
- Republic FC's Second Round Matchup for 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Announced - Sacramento Republic FC
- Memphis 901 FC Completes Transfer with Las Vegas Lights FC - Memphis 901 FC
- Tulsa Roughnecks Partner with Metro Tulsa Soccer Clubs United - FC Tulsa
- Nashville SC to Play Second Round U.S. Open Cup Match in Murfreesboro - Nashville SC
- Indy Eleven to Host 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Second Round Match - Indy Eleven
- Lights FC Will Take Part in Their Second U.S. Open Cup - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Republic FC's Villyan Bijev Has Red Card against Portland Timbers 2 Rescinded - Sacramento Republic FC
- Reno 1868 FC Set to Face Sacramento Republic FC in Second Round of 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Reno 1868 FC
- North Carolina FC to Begin Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup at Home in Second Round - North Carolina FC
- Phoenix Rising to Host U.S. Open Cup Second Round - Phoenix Rising FC
- Switchbacks FC Potential U.S. Open Cup Opponents Announced - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- STLFC Enters Second Round of U.S. Open Cup - Saint Louis FC
- Nashville SC Collaborates with Special Olympics Tennessee to Hold Session for Athletes - Nashville SC
- MLS SuperDraft Number One Pick Joins Orange County SC - Orange County SC
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Week 7 - USL
- Hartford Athletic Announces Cigna as Founding Partner - Hartford Athletic
- Chavany Willis scores first Steel FC goal in loss - Philadelphia Union II
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union II Stories
- Philadelphia Union II Announce 2020 Coaching Staff
- Philadelphia Union II Announce 2020 Regular-Season Schedule
- Philadelphia Union II Announce 2020 Home Opener
- Philadelphia Union USL Championship Team to Rebrand as Union II
- Bethlehem Steel FC Announce Roster News Ahead of 2020 Season