Lights FC Will Take Part in Their Second U.S. Open Cup
The 106th edition of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup will have a game played at Cashman Field for the first time, as Lights FC will host the winner of the first-round matchup between amateur club Cal F.C. and NPSL member FC Mulhouse Portland. The match will be played on either Tuesday, May 14 or Wednesday, May 15. The exact date will be announced at a later time when the broadcast schedule is set. Every game of the tournament will be aired live on ESPN+ after U.S. Soccer and ESPN+ reached an exclusive agreement for the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup that will run through 2022.
Cal F.C. and FC Mulhouse Portland will face each other in First Round action of the U.S. Open Cup on May 7 at Calabasas, California. The winner has a guaranteed ticket to Sin City for a duel against Las Vegas Lights FC.
Tickets for Lights FC's Second Round game in the U.S. Open Cup at Cashman Field are priced at only $10 each and will be available at LightsFC.com/Tix once the date is determined, seating for this match will be general admission. Fans can also receive free tickets to this game by purchasing merchandise in the Cashman Field gift shop during the team's next two home games on May 4th and May 11th. For every $25 spent at the store, fans will get a complimentary ticket for the US Open Cup game to be played on either May 14 or 15.
U.S. Open Cup tickets are included in all Lights FC Season Ticket packages. Season Ticket Members will have their tickets available in their TicketReturn account once the date is determined. With all seating being general admission, Season Ticket Members will have the opportunity to enter Cashman Field 15 minutes before the general public, that way they'll be able to pick the seats they prefer.
Youth clubs interested in being part of game activations including the player walk out, creating the tunnel for Lights players, ball kids or displaying the center circle on the pitch should call 702-728-GOAL for more information. The U.S. Open Cup opens the possibility of Lights FC facing an MLS team in an official game, as twenty-one MLS squads enter the competition in the Fourth Round of play. Lights FC is one of twenty-five USL Championship teams that will join the tournament in the Second Round, while 21 MLS squads will enter the competition in the Fourth Round that will take place on May 29.
Eric Wynalda is one of only three managers since 2012 to coach a non-MLS team to victory 3 or more times against an MLS team in the U.S. Open Cup. In 2012, Wynalda became the first coach to lead an amateur club to defeat an MLS team in this competition without requiring penalty kicks in an MLS stadium when he led Cal FC to beat Portland Timbers 1-0 in extra time of their Third Round match.
A record of 52 pro teams - a modern-era record (1995 to present) - will play in this year's U.S. Open Cup. The winner will earn $300,000 in prize money, a berth in the 2020 CONCACAF Champions League and have its name engraved on the Dewar Challenge Trophy, which is one of the oldest nationally contested trophies in American sports.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from April 17, 2019
- Indy Eleven to Change Three Dates on 2019 USL Championship Schedule - Indy Eleven
- Republic FC Will Host Stanford University in Exhibition Match on Saturday - Sacramento Republic FC
- Memphis 901 FC to Play in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup in May - Memphis 901 FC
- US Soccer Releases Second Round Pairings for 2019 Lamar Hunt US Open Cup - Birmingham Legion FC
- Republic FC's Second Round Matchup for 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Announced - Sacramento Republic FC
- Memphis 901 FC Completes Transfer with Las Vegas Lights FC - Memphis 901 FC
- Tulsa Roughnecks Partner with Metro Tulsa Soccer Clubs United - FC Tulsa
- Nashville SC to Play Second Round U.S. Open Cup Match in Murfreesboro - Nashville SC
- Indy Eleven to Host 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Second Round Match - Indy Eleven
- Lights FC Will Take Part in Their Second U.S. Open Cup - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Republic FC's Villyan Bijev Has Red Card against Portland Timbers 2 Rescinded - Sacramento Republic FC
- Reno 1868 FC Set to Face Sacramento Republic FC in Second Round of 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Reno 1868 FC
- North Carolina FC to Begin Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup at Home in Second Round - North Carolina FC
- Phoenix Rising to Host U.S. Open Cup Second Round - Phoenix Rising FC
- Switchbacks FC Potential U.S. Open Cup Opponents Announced - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- STLFC Enters Second Round of U.S. Open Cup - Saint Louis FC
- Nashville SC Collaborates with Special Olympics Tennessee to Hold Session for Athletes - Nashville SC
- MLS SuperDraft Number One Pick Joins Orange County SC - Orange County SC
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Week 7 - USL
- Hartford Athletic Announces Cigna as Founding Partner - Hartford Athletic
- Chavany Willis scores first Steel FC goal in loss - Philadelphia Union II
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Las Vegas Lights FC Stories
- Lights FC Closes 2020 Season
- Late Equalizers Lifts Lights FC to Draw with LA Galaxy II
- Lights FC Heads to Southern California for Two-Match Road Trip
- 11-Year Major League Soccer Veteran MLS Cup Champion Quincy Amarikwa Signs with Lights FC
- Lights FC Crushes Orange County's Undefeated Record with 3-1 Win