Charge Outlast BayHawks for First Home Win
The Canton Charge (2-3), presented by SecureData 365 and powered by the Cleveland Cavaliers, held off the Erie BayHawks (3-2) for the 100-97 victory on Friday night. The win was the Charge's first within the friendly confines of the Canton Memorial Civic Center in the young season.
It was a back-and-forth first half that featured 15 lead changes and five ties, thanks to both teams capitalizing on high percentage opportunities in the restricted area. Canton hit 20-of-34 attempts from the field (59%) and scored 26 points in the paint, while Erie scored on 19-of-34 opportunities (56%) while netting 28 points in the paint. The Charge took a 47-46 lead into intermission.
Canton maintained their lead throughout the entire third period, by as many as 15, due to a continued offensive efficiency of 59% from the field as a team and attacking the basket for 14 free throw attempts with 10 makes. Down 76-61, Erie surged with a 10-2 run over the final 2:47 of the third quarter to pull within 78-71 heading into the final frame.
The visitors picked up their defensive intensity in the fourth quarter as they forced Canton into eight turnovers that resulting in nine BayHawks points. Erie's Drew Crawford led a valiant effort with nine fourth quarter points on 4-of-5 shooting, and Erie guard Seth Curry chipped in 10 points of his own, but it was not enough as Canton held on to their lead for the entire period's duration to seal the deal.
Charge forward Arinze Onuaku posted a double-double in his return with 28 points on 10-of-12 shooting, 11 boards, and two blocks in 39 minutes. Brandon Paul also made his season debut, contributing 12 points on 4-of-7 shooting as a reserve for Coach Fernandez's bunch. William Buford provided a punch off the bench with 18 points on 7-of-12 shooting, seven rebounds, and two blocks in 27 minutes. As a team, Canton assisted on 23 of their 36 field goals in the game.
Erie was led by Crawford's 22 points on 10-of-15 shooting and six rebounds in 40 minutes. Seth Curry added 19 points, five rebounds, and six assists in 38 minutes. Daniel Coursey posted 17 points on 8-of-10 shooting with four steals in 25 minutes. The BayHawks forced 26 Charge turnovers that resulted in 29 points on the night.
The Charge are back at the Canton Memorial Civic Center for Pro Football HOF Day this Sunday, November 30th at 5:00 p.m. The festivities include a pregame tailgate, HOF Traveling Exhibits, HOF KidZone, and more! Single game tickets for all 2014-2015 Canton Charge regular season home games are on sale now! To view the 2014-15 Canton Charge home schedule complete with promotions and special deals, head to www.CantonCharge.com/promotions.
2014-15 Charge Nation Memberships are on sale now starting at just $5 per game! Premium Memberships are also available with VIP Club access including food, Budweiser & Pepsi products starting at just $40 per game! Group discounts are available for parties of 20 or more, with Fan Experience Packages such as being a part of the high five tunnel or playing on the Charge court! For 2014-15 Charge Nation Memberships, game day promotions and up-to-date information, head to www.CantonCharge.com or call 866-444-1944.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 28, 2014
- Bighorns Fall to Idaho 144-134 - Reno Bighorns
- Joel Wright Scores 41 Points in Stampede Victory - Idaho Stampede
- Legends Slam Jam - Texas Legends
- Jam Lose to Legends 105-94 - Bakersfield Jam
- OKC's Balanced Scoring Leads to 121-109 Win - Oklahoma City Blue
- Birch Put-Back with 1.2 Seconds Left Hands Maine Their First Loss - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Red Claws Lose First Game of Season - Maine Red Claws
- Charge Outlast BayHawks for First Home Win - Canton Charge
- Stampede Activates Reggie Hearn; Waives Kodi Augustus - Idaho Stampede
- Pistons Recall Forward Tony Mitchell from Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- Kings Reassign Eric Moreland to Reno - Reno Bighorns
- Kings Reassign Eric Moreland to NBA D-League's Reno Bighorns - G League
- Hawks Assign Payne, Jenkins to Mad Ants - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Atlanta Hawks Assign Jenkins and Payne to NBA D-League's Fort Wayne Mad Ants - G League
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.