CF Montréal Opens Season with 4-2 Victory over Toronto FC
FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida - CF Montréal started its season with a 4-2 win against Toronto FC on Saturday afternoon, at DRV PNK (Drive Pink) Stadium, in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
Forwards Mason Toye (3') and Romell Quioto (24') scored in the first half, while midfielders Victor Wanyama (54') and Djordje Mihailovic (71') scored in the second half.
Here are the postgame comments from head coach Wilfried Nancy, midfielder Djordje Mihailovic and forward Mason Toye.
-First time Montreal scores four goal in its MLS season opener.
-First CF Montréal game and start for Kamal Miller and Djordje Mihailovic.
-First CF Montréal start for Mustafa Kizza.
-50th MLS and CF Montréal game for Rudy Camacho.
-First CF Montréal goal for Mason Toye.
-First CF Montréal goal for Djorde Mihailovic
-First CF Montréal assist for Erik Hurtado.
MTL - Mason Toye (Zachary Brault-Guillard) 3'
MTL - Romell Quioto (Joel Waterman) 24'
TOR - Marky Delgado 45' (PK)
MTL - Victor Wanyama (Mustafa Kizza) 54'
MTL - Djordje Mihailovic (Erik Hurtado) 71'
TOR - Richie Laryea (Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty) 88'
TOR - Michael Bradley 19'
TOR - Ralph Priso 45'+1'
MTL - Victor Wanyama 67'
MTL - Gk-Clément Diop; D-Mustafa Kizza (Kiki Struna 79'), Kamal Miller, Rudy Camacho, Joel Waterman, Zachary Brault-Guillard; M-Victor Wanyama, Samuel Piette, Djordje Mihailovic (Amar Sejdic 79'); F-Romell Quioto (Bjørn Johnsen 69'), Mason Toye (Erik Hurtado 57')
Subs not used: James Pantemis, Clément Bayiha, Zorhan Bassong, Emanuel Maciel, Joaquín Torres
TOR - Gk-Alex Bono; D-Auro Jr, Omar Gonzalez, Luke Singh, Richie Laryea; M-Michael Bradley, Marky Delgado (Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty 75'), Noble Okello (Nick DeLeon 46'), Jacob Shaffelburg (Justin Morrow 59'), Ralph Priso (Liam Fraser 59'); F-Patrick Mullins (Jordan Perruzza 46')
Subs not used: Quentin Westberg, Eriq Zavaleta, Griffin Dorsey, Tsubasa Endoh
"I'm glad because the guys did what they had to do. The score came naturally after that. I think we did well. I'm happy with the score because it's Toronto, but also because of the way we played. I'm not surprised by what we did today. I'm happy because the players left the emotions aside and focused on the task. Mason came back this year with a really interesting state of mind. He was putting too much pressure on himself. Today, he showed that he fits well within the group, but he also showed his qualities that we see in training. I'm also satisfied with Djordje. The idea was to put him in a position where he can touch the ball as much as possible since he is a creative player. I like the connections he had with the players behind him, Samuel and Victor, and in front of him, Mason and Romell."
"The result is exactly what we wanted against our rival. We were together fully for about two weeks. Under these circumstances, we did phenomenal. In my four years in the league, this is the best locker room I've been in so far. We know how good we can be. I'm playing exactly at the position where I feel the most comfortable. I feel a lot of belief from the coaching staff to put me in that position. All our focus must now be towards the next game."
'It's my fourth season now. I managed this preseason pretty well. We have a great coaching staff this year. I've been focusing on these training sessions and I'm coming into that place where I'm starting to find my balance. Wilfried has done a great job at letting us know what he wants from us. It's early days but this is definitely a big positive for us. Romell and me are always in a good position and with Djordje behind us, we keep the defenders second guessing."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 17, 2021
- D.C. United Win 2-1 against New York City FC at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Revolution Open 2021 MLS Season with 2-2 Draw against Chicago Fire FC - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire FC Welcome Fans to Soldier Field, Start off New Season with Point in Home Opener - Chicago Fire FC
- Three Takeaways from the Rapids Season Opener - Colorado Rapids
- Red Bulls Drop Season Opener to Sporting KC, 2-1 - New York Red Bulls
- Notes & Quotes: D.C. United 2 Ã¢ÂÂ 1 New York City FC - New York City FC
- FC Dallas Splits Points with Colorado Rapids in 2021 Home Opener - FC Dallas
- Austin FC Loses 2-0 to LAFC in Inaugural MLS Match - Austin FC
- LAFC Open Season with 2-0 Win over Austin FC - Los Angeles FC
- MNUFC Lose 4-0 to Seattle in Season Opener - Minnesota United FC
- Atlanta United Earns Point in 2021 MLS Season Opener - Atlanta United FC
- CF Montréal Opens Season with 4-2 Victory over Toronto FC - Club de Foot Montreal
- Academy Update: Future Stars Excited Ahead of MLS Season - Inter Miami CF
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts the Philadelphia Union Tomorrow for Opening Match of 2021 MLS Regular Season - Columbus Crew SC
- Orlando City Battle to Scoreless Draw in 2021 Opener against Atlanta United FC - Orlando City SC
- CF Montreal (4), Toronto FC (2) - Toronto FC
- Inter Miami CF Partners with Monaco Cocktails for the 2021 Season - Inter Miami CF
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Defender Saad Abdul-Salaam from MLS Waiver List - Columbus Crew SC
- Storylines: City vs. Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
- Columbus Crew SC Provides Injury Update on Midfielder Aidan Morris - Columbus Crew SC
- Second Half Surge Propels Sounders FC to 4-0 Opening Match Win over Minnesota United - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.