Academy Update: Future Stars Excited Ahead of MLS Season
This Sunday, a game 13 months in the making will finally take place in South Florida; the Inter Miami CF First Team will face LA Galaxy at the newly named DRV PNK Stadium at 3 p.m. ET. The game will kick off the second season of Inter Miami fútbol after its inaugural MLS season in 2020. The game will look to satisfy eager fans from across South Florida and treat them to an unforgettable experience. For the Club's young prospects, however, the game will carry an extra special meaning for Inter Miami CF's young prospects. Of course, we're talking about our Academy presented by Baptist Health.
The Club's youth understands the concept that with hard work and determination, they could very well be wearing those First Team jerseys to kick off the season one day.
This "freedom to dream" remains one of Inter Miami CF's pillars. The team aspires to develop local talent in an effort to give them an opportunity to reach the professional level in their home city. Inter Miami has already demonstrated its commitment with the Homegrown signings of Academy prospects Edison Azcona, Ian Fray, and Felipe Valencia.
The organization believes strongly in leading by example. By hosting training for the First Team and Academy at the Inter Miami CF Training Center, even our youngest athletes can get a chance to watch and learn those playing high caliber soccer.
For U-15 player Lucas DePaula, the close proximity to the First Team serves to inspire.
"My experience watching the First Team get ready for their second season is inspiring. Watching them compete at the highest level inspires me to work hard and achieve my dream of playing there with them one day," said DePaula.
DePaula also expressed excitement at the prospect of seeing his former Academy peers take the field for Inter Miami.
"Watching my peers playing at the highest level is truly exciting. I am so happy for them! They have shown a good example for the younger age groups to grow and hopefully play with them in the near future."
U-13 player Marco Cantalapiedra, meanwhile, firmly believes in Inter Miami CF's mission to develop homegrown talent.
"It shows me that if I keep on working hard, I am on the right path to make it to the First Team. I always try to remember that [our current homegrown signings] were also in my position a couple years ago, so it's possible to achieve my dreams, too," said Cantalapiedra .
"I am so excited to watch the First Team play, especially after watching them play live at training. I really want to watch them so I can continue to learn from them."
As our community and athletes prepare for this weekend's game, we look forward to seeing the return to action for the First Team; Sunday's match will air live at 3 p.m. ET on ABC and ESPN Deportes.
You can follow our academy's journey online by following our Twitter account @InterMiamiAcad or via Instagram @InterMiamiCF_Academy.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 17, 2021
- D.C. United Win 2-1 against New York City FC at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Revolution Open 2021 MLS Season with 2-2 Draw against Chicago Fire FC - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire FC Welcome Fans to Soldier Field, Start off New Season with Point in Home Opener - Chicago Fire FC
- Three Takeaways from the Rapids Season Opener - Colorado Rapids
- Red Bulls Drop Season Opener to Sporting KC, 2-1 - New York Red Bulls
- Notes & Quotes: D.C. United 2 Ã¢ÂÂ 1 New York City FC - New York City FC
- FC Dallas Splits Points with Colorado Rapids in 2021 Home Opener - FC Dallas
- Austin FC Loses 2-0 to LAFC in Inaugural MLS Match - Austin FC
- LAFC Open Season with 2-0 Win over Austin FC - Los Angeles FC
- MNUFC Lose 4-0 to Seattle in Season Opener - Minnesota United FC
- Atlanta United Earns Point in 2021 MLS Season Opener - Atlanta United FC
- CF Montréal Opens Season with 4-2 Victory over Toronto FC - Club de Foot Montreal
- Academy Update: Future Stars Excited Ahead of MLS Season - Inter Miami CF
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts the Philadelphia Union Tomorrow for Opening Match of 2021 MLS Regular Season - Columbus Crew SC
- Orlando City Battle to Scoreless Draw in 2021 Opener against Atlanta United FC - Orlando City SC
- CF Montreal (4), Toronto FC (2) - Toronto FC
- Inter Miami CF Partners with Monaco Cocktails for the 2021 Season - Inter Miami CF
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Defender Saad Abdul-Salaam from MLS Waiver List - Columbus Crew SC
- Storylines: City vs. Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
- Columbus Crew SC Provides Injury Update on Midfielder Aidan Morris - Columbus Crew SC
- Second Half Surge Propels Sounders FC to 4-0 Opening Match Win over Minnesota United - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Inter Miami CF Stories
- Inter Miami CF Hires Craig Dalrymple as Academy Director
- Neville Ahead of D.C.: "I Can Guarantee Attitude and CommitmentÃ¢ÂÂ
- Inter Miami CF Debuts New, Immersive Fan Video Engagement Experience
- Inter Miami CF Provides Schedule Update
- Inter Miami CF to Host Blackout DRV PNK Stadium Match Presented by Publix on June 25