Columbus Crew SC Signs Defender Saad Abdul-Salaam from MLS Waiver List
COLUMBUS â Columbus Crew SC today announced that the Club has signed defender Saad Abdul-Salaam (pronounced: SOD ab-DUAL sa-LAHM) from Major League Soccer's Waiver List. Abdul-Salaam, 29, is a seven-year Major League Soccer veteran who most recently played for FC Cincinnati and has made a total of 94 appearances in MLS regular-season action while registering one goal and 11 assists. A native of Gahanna, Ohio, the outside back is also a 2019 MLS Cup winner during his time with Seattle Sounders FC.
"We are pleased to welcome Saad back to his hometown club," said Crew SC President and General Manager Tim Bezbatchenko. "Saad is a defender whose versatility as a player and proven experience in our League will make him a valuable member of our squad, especially as we deal with match congestion this season. We are excited to begin working with Saad and look forward to incorporating him into the team."
Abdul-Salaam was drafted by Sporting Kansas City with the twelfth overall pick during the First Round of the 2015 MLS SuperDraft. The defender spent three seasons with Sporting Kansas City, making 64 regular-season appearances from 2015-2017 while registering one goal and one assist. In addition to his time with Kansas City, Abdul-Salaam played for New York City FC (2018), Seattle Sounders FC (2019) and FC Cincinnati (2020). During his tenure with Sounders FC, the defender helped the Western Conference team win the 2019 MLS Cup.
Up next, the Black & Gold hosts the Philadelphia Union at Historic Crew Stadium for the Club's Opening Match of the 2021 MLS season on Sunday, April 18 [FS1 (English), FOX Deportes (Spanish) / 97.1 The Fan (English), ColumbusCrewSC.com (Spanish)].
TRANSACTION: Columbus Crew SC signs defender Saad Abdul-Salaam from Major League Soccer's Waiver List on April 17, 2021.
Name: Saad Abdul-Salaam (SOD ab-DUAL sa-LAHM
Born: September 8, 1991 in Charlotte, NC
Hometown: Gahanna, OH
Citizenship: United States
Acquired: Signed by Crew SC off of Major League Soccer's Waiver List on April 17, 2021
Previous Experience: FC Cincinnati (2020), Seattle Sounders FC (2019), New York City FC (2018), Sporting Kansas City (2015-2017)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 17, 2021
- D.C. United Win 2-1 against New York City FC at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Revolution Open 2021 MLS Season with 2-2 Draw against Chicago Fire FC - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire FC Welcome Fans to Soldier Field, Start off New Season with Point in Home Opener - Chicago Fire FC
- Three Takeaways from the Rapids Season Opener - Colorado Rapids
- Red Bulls Drop Season Opener to Sporting KC, 2-1 - New York Red Bulls
- Notes & Quotes: D.C. United 2 Ã¢ÂÂ 1 New York City FC - New York City FC
- FC Dallas Splits Points with Colorado Rapids in 2021 Home Opener - FC Dallas
- Austin FC Loses 2-0 to LAFC in Inaugural MLS Match - Austin FC
- LAFC Open Season with 2-0 Win over Austin FC - Los Angeles FC
- MNUFC Lose 4-0 to Seattle in Season Opener - Minnesota United FC
- Atlanta United Earns Point in 2021 MLS Season Opener - Atlanta United FC
- CF Montréal Opens Season with 4-2 Victory over Toronto FC - Club de Foot Montreal
- Academy Update: Future Stars Excited Ahead of MLS Season - Inter Miami CF
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts the Philadelphia Union Tomorrow for Opening Match of 2021 MLS Regular Season - Columbus Crew SC
- Orlando City Battle to Scoreless Draw in 2021 Opener against Atlanta United FC - Orlando City SC
- CF Montreal (4), Toronto FC (2) - Toronto FC
- Inter Miami CF Partners with Monaco Cocktails for the 2021 Season - Inter Miami CF
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Defender Saad Abdul-Salaam from MLS Waiver List - Columbus Crew SC
- Storylines: City vs. Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
- Columbus Crew SC Provides Injury Update on Midfielder Aidan Morris - Columbus Crew SC
- Second Half Surge Propels Sounders FC to 4-0 Opening Match Win over Minnesota United - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus SC Travels to Florida to Face Toronto FC Tonight
- Crew Reveals Updated Brand Marks
- Columbus Crew SC Returns to Historic Crew Stadium for Match against D.C. United Tomorrow
- Columbus Crew SC Faces CF Monterrey Tonight in Mexico
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Liam Fraser on Loan from Toronto FC