Austin FC Loses 2-0 to LAFC in Inaugural MLS Match
Los Angeles - Austin FC's first-ever Major League Soccer (MLS) match ended in a 2-0 loss to Los Angeles FC at Banc of California Stadium on Saturday afternoon.
In front of 4,900 fans, including many Austin FC supporters who made the trip from Austin to Los Angeles, ATXFC made a positive start to its inaugural MLS campaign, but was unable to score in an entertaining match that saw chances for both teams throughout the 90 minutes.
The match featured a number of firsts for Austin FC, including Head Coach Josh Wolff's first-ever MLS match as a Head Coach; Austin FC Designated Players Cecilio Domínguez and Tomás Pochettino's first MLS matches; and the MLS debut of MLS SuperDraft number one pick, Daniel Pereira, who played the full 90 minutes for Austin FC.
Austin FC will play its next six (6) matches on the road before returning to Q2 Stadium for the Club's inaugural home match against the San Jose Earthquakes on June 19. Next up, Austin will travel to Commerce City, CO, to play its second MLS match against the Colorado Rapids at Dick's Sporting Goods on Saturday, April 24. The match against Colorado features a local television broadcast on The CW Austin and a local radio broadcast on ALT 97.5FM.
LAFC (0-1) - Corey Baird, 61st minute: Danny Musovski made a pass from the wing. Baird scored the goal off a deflection.
LAFC (0-2) - José Cifuentes, 91st minute: Kwadwo Opoku laid it off to José Cifuentes, who passed the ball into the net to push the lead to two.
Austin FC Head Coach Josh Wolff digital press conference
Austin FC Goalkeeper Brad Stuver digital press conference
Austin FC at Los Angeles FC | Banc of California Stadium (Los Angeles) | April 17, 2021
ATXFC: Brad Stuver, Jhohan Romaña, Matt Besler, Ben Sweat (70" Å1/2an Kolmanič), Nick Lima, Tomás Pochettino (70" Diego Fagundez), Alex Ring ©, Daniel Pereira, Danny Hoesen (59" Jon Gallagher), Cecilio Domínguez (87" Kekuta Manneh), Rodney Redes (59" Jared Stroud)
Substitutes: Sebastian Berhalter, Hector Jimenez, Julio Cascante, Andrew Tarbell
LAFC: Pablo Sisniega, Jesús David Murillo, Eddie Segura, Tristan Blackmon, Diego Palacios, Eduard Atuesta, Mark-Anthony Kaye (75"José Cifuentes), Latif Blessing, Danny Musovski (81" Francisco Ginella), Corey Baird (75" Raheem Edwards), Carlos Vela © (22" Kwadwo Opoku)
Substitutes: Jordan Harvey, Bryce Duke, Tomás Romero, Antoine Leone, Marco Farfan
Referee: Alex Chilowicz
Assistant Referee 1: Ian Anderson
Assistant Referee 2: Frank Anderson
Fourth Official: Baldomero Toledo
Weather: Clear, 79 degrees
Statistical source: MLSsoccer.com / Opta
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 17, 2021
- D.C. United Win 2-1 against New York City FC at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Revolution Open 2021 MLS Season with 2-2 Draw against Chicago Fire FC - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire FC Welcome Fans to Soldier Field, Start off New Season with Point in Home Opener - Chicago Fire FC
- Three Takeaways from the Rapids Season Opener - Colorado Rapids
- Red Bulls Drop Season Opener to Sporting KC, 2-1 - New York Red Bulls
- Notes & Quotes: D.C. United 2 Ã¢ÂÂ 1 New York City FC - New York City FC
- FC Dallas Splits Points with Colorado Rapids in 2021 Home Opener - FC Dallas
- Austin FC Loses 2-0 to LAFC in Inaugural MLS Match - Austin FC
- LAFC Open Season with 2-0 Win over Austin FC - Los Angeles FC
- MNUFC Lose 4-0 to Seattle in Season Opener - Minnesota United FC
- Atlanta United Earns Point in 2021 MLS Season Opener - Atlanta United FC
- CF Montréal Opens Season with 4-2 Victory over Toronto FC - Club de Foot Montreal
- Academy Update: Future Stars Excited Ahead of MLS Season - Inter Miami CF
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts the Philadelphia Union Tomorrow for Opening Match of 2021 MLS Regular Season - Columbus Crew SC
- Orlando City Battle to Scoreless Draw in 2021 Opener against Atlanta United FC - Orlando City SC
- CF Montreal (4), Toronto FC (2) - Toronto FC
- Inter Miami CF Partners with Monaco Cocktails for the 2021 Season - Inter Miami CF
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Defender Saad Abdul-Salaam from MLS Waiver List - Columbus Crew SC
- Storylines: City vs. Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
- Columbus Crew SC Provides Injury Update on Midfielder Aidan Morris - Columbus Crew SC
- Second Half Surge Propels Sounders FC to 4-0 Opening Match Win over Minnesota United - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin FC Stories
- Austin FC to Host Friendly Match vs. Club Tigres UANL on Tuesday, July 13
- Austin FC Earns Point with 1-1 Draw against Sporting Kansas City
- Austin FC Draw away at Seattle Sounders FC
- Austin FC Announces Parking and Mobility Plan for Q2 Stadium
- Austin FC Regular Season Home Match against the Portland Timbers Rescheduled from Saturday, July 3, to Thursday, July 1