LAFC Open Season with 2-0 Win over Austin FC
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) opened the 2021 MLS season with a 2-0 win over Austin FC at Banc of California Stadium on Saturday afternoon. Corey Baird and Jose Cifuentes each scored second half goals for LAFC to defeat Austin, who was playing the inaugural game in the club's history.
LAFC took the lead in the 61st minute when Baird took a pass from Danny Musovski and hit a right-footed shot that deflected into the net, giving LAFC a 1-0 advantage. The score would stay that way until second half stoppage time when Mahala Opoku broke in behind the Austin defense and centered a pass to Cifuentes who tapped his shot into the open net, giving LAFC the 2-0 victory.
A crowd of 4,900 was on hand for the game as LAFC played its first official game in front of its supporters at Banc of California Stadium in more than a year.
LAFC returns to action next Saturday, April 24 when it takes on the defending Western Conference Champion Seattle Sounders FC at Banc of California Stadium. That game kicks off at 3 p.m. PT and will be show live on ESPN.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 17, 2021
- D.C. United Win 2-1 against New York City FC at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Revolution Open 2021 MLS Season with 2-2 Draw against Chicago Fire FC - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire FC Welcome Fans to Soldier Field, Start off New Season with Point in Home Opener - Chicago Fire FC
- Three Takeaways from the Rapids Season Opener - Colorado Rapids
- Red Bulls Drop Season Opener to Sporting KC, 2-1 - New York Red Bulls
- Notes & Quotes: D.C. United 2 Ã¢ÂÂ 1 New York City FC - New York City FC
- FC Dallas Splits Points with Colorado Rapids in 2021 Home Opener - FC Dallas
- Austin FC Loses 2-0 to LAFC in Inaugural MLS Match - Austin FC
- LAFC Open Season with 2-0 Win over Austin FC - Los Angeles FC
- MNUFC Lose 4-0 to Seattle in Season Opener - Minnesota United FC
- Atlanta United Earns Point in 2021 MLS Season Opener - Atlanta United FC
- CF Montréal Opens Season with 4-2 Victory over Toronto FC - Club de Foot Montreal
- Academy Update: Future Stars Excited Ahead of MLS Season - Inter Miami CF
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts the Philadelphia Union Tomorrow for Opening Match of 2021 MLS Regular Season - Columbus Crew SC
- Orlando City Battle to Scoreless Draw in 2021 Opener against Atlanta United FC - Orlando City SC
- CF Montreal (4), Toronto FC (2) - Toronto FC
- Inter Miami CF Partners with Monaco Cocktails for the 2021 Season - Inter Miami CF
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Defender Saad Abdul-Salaam from MLS Waiver List - Columbus Crew SC
- Storylines: City vs. Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
- Columbus Crew SC Provides Injury Update on Midfielder Aidan Morris - Columbus Crew SC
- Second Half Surge Propels Sounders FC to 4-0 Opening Match Win over Minnesota United - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- LAFC Loans Eight Players to Las Vegas Lights FC for Upcoming Match against LA Galaxy II
- LAFC Inks New Partnership with Rockstar Energy Drink
- LAFC Announces Time Change for Away Match against Portland Timbers
- LAFC Celebrates Return to Full Capacity at Banc of California Stadium on June 19
- LAFC Loans Eight Players to Las Vegas Lights FC for Upcoming Match against San Antonio FC