Columbus Crew SC Hosts the Philadelphia Union Tomorrow for Opening Match of 2021 MLS Regular Season
COLUMBUS - Columbus Crew SC, the reigning 2020 MLS Cup champion, hosts the Philadelphia Union in a nationally televised match tomorrow, Sunday, April 18 [5:30 p.m. ET/FS1, FOX Deportes/ 97.1 The Fan (English), ColumbusCrewSC.com (Spanish)]. The contest marks the first time in the history of Major League Soccer in which the previous year's MLS Cup champions and Supporters' Shield winners play each other in an Opening Match. As part of Opening Match of the 2021 MLS regular season, the Crew is set to hold an MLS Cup Celebration, including the pre-match presentation of the Philip F. Anschutz Trophy by Black & Gold legends Frankie Hejduk and Duncan Oughton. The contest at Historic Crew Stadium will also feature a Crew SC flag giveaway presented by Nationwide.
Entering Sunday's home match, Crew SC is undefeated in its last eight matches at Historic Crew Stadium. Since the start of the 2020 MLS regular season, Crew SC is 13-1-0 at home. Additionally, Crew SC has scored in 20 consecutive home games at Historic Crew Stadium and will look to continue the run against the Philadelphia Union.
In 2020, the Crew and the Philadelphia Union faced each other twice in regular-season action at Historic Crew Stadium, with the Black & Gold winning 1-0 (September 2) and 2-1 (November 1). Notably, Crew SC is undefeated in its last six home matches against the Union with a record of 5-0-1 dating back to 2017. Over that span, the Black & Gold have outscored the Philadelphia Union 6-1. Additionally, the Crew is undefeated in its last four home opening matches with a record of 2-0-2 while outscoring opponents 6-4 dating back to the 2017 season.
In their last match on April 15, the Black & Gold defeated Nicaraguan side Real Esteli FC 1-0 through an 86th-minute goal by Bradley Wright-Phillips in the Second Leg of the Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Round of 16. With a 4-0 victory by the Club in Leg One on April 8 in Managua, Nicaragua, the Crew advanced with a 5-0 aggregate score, and is set to face CF Monterrey in the Quarterfinals of the competition, with dates and times to be announced.
Columbus Crew SC vs. Philadelphia Union
Sunday, April 18 - 5:30 p.m. ET - Historic Crew Stadium (Columbus, Ohio)
National Television: FS1 (English), FOX Deportes (Spanish)
Crew SC Radio: 97.1 The Fan and streaming online via "Listen Live" at 971TheFan.com. (English); ColumbusCrewSC.com (Spanish).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 17, 2021
- D.C. United Win 2-1 against New York City FC at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Revolution Open 2021 MLS Season with 2-2 Draw against Chicago Fire FC - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire FC Welcome Fans to Soldier Field, Start off New Season with Point in Home Opener - Chicago Fire FC
- Three Takeaways from the Rapids Season Opener - Colorado Rapids
- Red Bulls Drop Season Opener to Sporting KC, 2-1 - New York Red Bulls
- Notes & Quotes: D.C. United 2 Ã¢ÂÂ 1 New York City FC - New York City FC
- FC Dallas Splits Points with Colorado Rapids in 2021 Home Opener - FC Dallas
- Austin FC Loses 2-0 to LAFC in Inaugural MLS Match - Austin FC
- LAFC Open Season with 2-0 Win over Austin FC - Los Angeles FC
- MNUFC Lose 4-0 to Seattle in Season Opener - Minnesota United FC
- Atlanta United Earns Point in 2021 MLS Season Opener - Atlanta United FC
- CF Montréal Opens Season with 4-2 Victory over Toronto FC - Club de Foot Montreal
- Academy Update: Future Stars Excited Ahead of MLS Season - Inter Miami CF
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts the Philadelphia Union Tomorrow for Opening Match of 2021 MLS Regular Season - Columbus Crew SC
- Orlando City Battle to Scoreless Draw in 2021 Opener against Atlanta United FC - Orlando City SC
- CF Montreal (4), Toronto FC (2) - Toronto FC
- Inter Miami CF Partners with Monaco Cocktails for the 2021 Season - Inter Miami CF
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Defender Saad Abdul-Salaam from MLS Waiver List - Columbus Crew SC
- Storylines: City vs. Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
- Columbus Crew SC Provides Injury Update on Midfielder Aidan Morris - Columbus Crew SC
- Second Half Surge Propels Sounders FC to 4-0 Opening Match Win over Minnesota United - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew Announces Single-Match Tickets for Lower.com Field Are Now on Sale
- Introducing Lower.com Field: Columbus Crew Announces Long-Term Stadium Naming Rights Partnership with Lower
- Columbus Crew Announces Activations for Farewell to Historic Crew Stadium Match this Saturday
- Columbus Crew Players and Staff Presented with 2020 MLS Cup Championship Ring
- Columbus Crew Holds Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony at OhioHealth Performance Center