'Caps fall to Sounders in midweek tilt
PORTLAND, OR - A pair of goals early into the second half was the difference on Tuesday evening as Vancouver Whitecaps FC fell 2-0 to Seattle Sounders FC at Providence Park.
Playing their second match in four nights, Whitecaps FC made wholesale changes to their lineup from Saturday's win over San Jose Earthquakes, fielding a club MLS record seven Canadians in their starting XI.
However, it was Sounders Designated Player RaÃºl RuidÃaz who was the story on the evening, tallying a goal and an assist in his return from a four-match absence.
With the loss, the 'Caps were unable to climb up the Western Conference table, staying put at seventh place and above the playoff line with two matches remaining.
In the evenly matched start to the battle, neither side was able to find a breakthrough as defence reigned supreme early on. While Theo Bair was able to haul in some well-timed aerial through balls, he and the rest of his attacking teammates were unable to find that crucial goal to put the 'Caps up early. On the other end of the pitch, the Vancouver defence limited the Sounders to just one shot on target and blocked three others in the first 45 minutes.
After the halftime break, the Sounders came out and pressed the 'Caps until they found their eventual score. Although initially ruled offside by the assistant referee, the Sounders struck in the 54th minute as Nouhou Tolo spun an in-swinging ball that RuidÃaz smashed into the back of the net. Seattle was able to put up one final goal as Yeimar GÃ³mez Andrade sent a ball down the middle of the pitch to find RuidÃaz in the box, where the Peruvian cut back a pass to the middle of the box that NicolÃ¡s Lodeiro finished into the side netting in the 60th minute.
The 'Caps will remain in Portland for their final two games of the regular season although serving as the away side in a clash with the Portland Timbers at Providence Park on Sunday, November 1 at 7:00 p.m. PT. Catch the match live on TSN and TSN Radio 1040.
VWFC Man of the Match: Derek Cornelius
Referee: Fotis Bazakos
54' - SEA - RaÃºl RuidÃaz (Nouhou Tolo, NicolÃ¡s Lodeiro)
60' - SEA - NicolÃ¡s Lodeiro (RaÃºl RuidÃaz, Yeimar GÃ³mez)
Possession: VAN 31.9% - SEA 68.1%
Shots: VAN 4 - SEA 11
Shots on Goal: VAN 0 - SEA 4
Saves: VAN 2 - SEA 0
Fouls: VAN 12 - SEA 6
Offsides: VAN 0 - SEA 3
Corners: VAN 4 - SEA 3
62' - VAN - Lucas Cavallini
84' - VAN - Cristian DÃ¡jome
90' - VAN - Derek Cornelius
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
30.Evan Bush; 15.Andy Rose (12.Fredy Montero 58'), 4.Ranko VeselinoviÄ, 13.Derek Cornelius; 19.Janio Bikel, 55.Michael Baldisimo, 31.Russell Teibert © (17.Leonard Owusu 71'), 3.CristiÃ¡n Gutiérrez; 87.Tosaint Ricketts (53.Ali Adnan 71'), 14.Theo Bair (9.Lucas Cavallini 56'), 27.Ryan Raposo (11.Cristian DÃ¡jome 56')
Substitutes not used
1.Bryan Meredith, 22.Ãrik Godoy, 28.Jake Nerwinski, 32.Patrick Metcalfe
Seattle Sounders FC
24.Stefan Frei; 18.Kelvin Leerdam (16.Alex Roldan 83'), 3.Xavier Arreaga, 28.Yeimar GÃ³mez, 5.Nouhou Tolo; 6.João Paulo (33.Joevin Jones 73'), 4.Gustav Svensson; 7.Cristian Roldan, 10.NicolÃ¡s Lodeiro ©, 13.Jordan Morris (29.Roman Torres 83'); 9.RaÃºl RuidÃaz
Substitutes not used
30.Stefan Cleveland, 8.Jordy Delem, 11.Miguel Ibarra, 27.Shane O'Neill, 37.Shandon Hopeau
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 28, 2020
- Inter Miami CF Falls to FC Dallas 2-1 on the Road - Inter Miami CF
- Cory Burke scores game winner: Union remain first place in Eastern Conference - Philadelphia Union
- MNUFC Win Second Straight with 2-1 over Rapids at Home - Minnesota United FC
- FC Dallas Earns 2-1 Comeback Win against Inter Miami CF at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
- LAFC Statement on Positive Covid-19 Case - Los Angeles FC
- D.C. United Win 1-0 against Columbus Crew SC at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Nashville SC Clinches Berth in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - Nashville SC
- Orlando City Earns 4-1 Win over Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
- Notes & Quotes: Toronto FC 0 - 1 New York City FC - New York City FC
- 10-Man Chicago Fire Narrowly Falls 2-1 to Philadelphia Union at Subaru Park - Chicago Fire
- Atlanta United Falls 4-1 at Orlando City SC - Atlanta United FC
- FCC wrap five-season run at Nippert Stadium - FC Cincinnati
- Red Bulls Clinch 11th-Straight MLS Cup Playoff Berth; Defeat New England, 1-0 - New York Red Bulls
- New York City FC (1) - Toronto FC (0) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Revolution Fall, 1-0, to New York Red Bulls - New England Revolution
- Late Own Goal Dooms Rapids - Colorado Rapids
- Sporting Seals Playoff Berth in Win at FC Cincinnati - Sporting Kansas City
- MNUFC Confirms COVID-19 Case - Minnesota United FC
- Timbers Play Host to LA Galaxy Tonight at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Statement on Reto Ziegler - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes Face Real Salt Lake Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- MLS to Honor Top Rising Star with the AT&T Young Player of the Year Award - MLS
- Columbus Crew SC Defender Josh Williams Suspended - Columbus Crew SC
- Columbus Crew SC Defender Josh Williams Suspended - MLS
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Face Carlos Vela and LAFC to Open Road Trip - Houston Dynamo
- Nashville SC Playoff Clinching Scenarios: Wednesday, October 28 - Nashville SC
- Ruidiaz and Lodeiro Goals Clinch 12th Straight Postseason Berth for Sounders FC in 2-0 Win over Vancouver - Seattle Sounders FC
- 'Caps fall to Sounders in midweek tilt - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Nashville SC Beats Montreal Impact 1-0, Extends Unbeaten Streak to Four as Playoff Race Heats Up - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- Whitecaps FC Announce First Roster Moves Ahead of 2021
- Whitecaps FC Confirm Top Collegiate Recruiting Class
- 'Caps finish season with dominant all-around performance
- Winners Announced at 2020 BMO Player Awards Ceremony
- It Starts with a Goal: the Stories Behind Seven Inspiring Young Canadians in the Whitecaps FC BMO Academy System